What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Smith and Thurston are the only two worthy of Immortal status the last 15 years. Locky also was a rung below them.
I agree with this and if we had to pick one then it would be Smith.

Same goes for Sterlo et al. Mal and Wally were deservedly chosen from that era. I don't think there should be any more.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
The same Locky that was about to be dropped in 2006??? He was a great player without a doubt but I class him on the same level as Freddy. Just below that immortal level. The more merkins they stick in the cheaper the concept becomes. Mal shouldn’t have gotten in either. It’s hilarious when people mention Johns shouldn’t be in for a few pills are the same people who wanted someone like Mal in. Great weights programme at Brisbane Souths in the 80’s.........
Mal was borderline but I am OK with him getting the chocolates.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
So which merkins are in at the moment?

Churchill (1946-58)
Raper (1957-69)
Gasnier (1959-67)
Fulton (1966-79)
Langlands (1963-76)
Lewis (1978-92)
Beetson (1964-80)
Johns (1993-2007)
Messenger (1908-13)
Frank Burge (1911-27)
Dave Brown (1930-41)
Provan (1951-65)
Meninga (1979-94)

Thats virtually all of the eras covered now and a max of 2-3 in each era. You could argue the toss on whether a couple of them deserve to be in and you could make a good case for someone else but the number of people seems about right. I don't think they should add anyone else from between 1908-2000. It doesnt mean that Kenny, Sterling, Stuart, Thornett, Price, Langer, Lockyer, Fittler etc arent great players. They just aren't the best of their era.

So if we are going to add someone from 2000 onwards next then I think it has to be Cameron Smith. The guy has broken just about every record in the game already and there is no reason why he can't go in as soon as he retires.

Then if we don't add someone else for another 20 years it shouldn't be a problem. But the NRL are f**kwits so we will probably end up with 2-3 new players being added every year which will cheapen the concept enormously.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I thought Mal was a little overrated, was he the best centre of the 80’s??? Was he that much better than any other centre of the era??? Let alone other players???

Reckon he got picked because of whinging QLDers and what he did as a coach with QLD which shouldn’t count at all. This is the same knobend who told us all RL had given him nothing. 20 years later and the f**king merkin is still sucking of the Teat of TGG.

I thought Mal was a little overrated, was he the best centre of the 80’s??? Was he that much better than any other centre of the era??? Let alone other players???

Reckon he got picked because of whinging QLDers and what he did as a coach with QLD which shouldn’t count at all. This is the same knobend who told us all RL had given him nothing. 20 years later and the f**king merkin is still sucking of the Teat of TGG.
I remember a very wet origin game where he couldn't kick a goal to save himself. He was bowling grubbers that Trevor Chappel would be proud of.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Sterlo would be just as controversial as Mal tbh. He isn't universally respected and admired in the way that Wally is. If it was up to me I would have just picked Wally and left it at that. He's clearly the best player of that era. A superstar.

eel01s

Bench
LOL Meninga wasn't even the best player in that terrific Canberra side. He only got in because of his origin and test record, including 2 Kangaroo tours as Captain. Even then I reckon he was lucky to be picked on the last tour.

Johns, Fitler, Lockyer

Thurston,Cam, Slater

Id put another guys name forward. S.Menzies.
You have no idea how much i hate everything to do with the m.w.r.l.f.c. I do however have a lot of respect for Beaver and Tooves. When this discussion began, I thought to myself that I wouldn't whinge if Beaver was in there. Tough as nails, gave his all every game, very skillful and a gentleman to boot. He likes asian chicks too lol. I love the Beaver. Get him up here...

Bazal

Post Whore
Come on, for the MWRLFC there is only one choice for the honor of being named an immortal

jye-mullane-of-the-manly-warringah-sea-eagles-passes-the-ball-during-picture-id52593500

Parra Cheeses

Juniors
He will never live that comment and his shitty political career down for as long as he lives. Possibly one of the stupidest people ever to play the game. Handy player though.
T Tahu isn't too bright. I watched him train at Parra park one day and he just couldn't follow the drills that everyone else could. Spoke to him once as well. I guess you don't have to be a genius to excel at footy.

hindy111

Post Whore
We have won 2 minor premierships, imo those are much harder to win than an actual GF. Best team over the entire year is no joke and gets nowhere near the respect it deserves!

What if a team has a lot of injuries but comes good and scrapes into the 8.
Or one side gets an easier draw especialy around origin ?

In 2009 we finished 8th. But we evolved into the best legit side in comp. I reckon being able to transform your style of play mid season and do what we did is harder then rolling with the same players and same style and building up lots of points early like Storm always do.