What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

IFR33K

Coach
No I think we're about a 10% chance. If I was a gambler I'd want 10:1 odds right now. Actually I'd want those odds after it was confirmed we'd finished in the top four. I'm no gambler but I'm sure nobody would be offering them. How about you? If we finish top four I'll give you a hundred bucks and if we win the comp you can give me $1000. You don't think we can do it, right? You'd love those odds.

I’d think I’d be throwing the $100 away. I’d still have roosters and Melbourne ahead of us. Even Penrith.

T.S Quint

Coach
I still see the Roosters as the team to beat. They have the talent and experience and should be clear favourites, even if not by much.
The Storm obviously have the experience and the best player in the game. They will be without Munster for a period of time (not that they really missed him last week) but when it comes to Finals time I expect them to right in the mix.

Panthers and Parramatta are on equal footing right about now, I think. Both teams are going very well but are lacking that little bit of experience in the big games at the end of the year. Either could take out the premiership, but are just a step behind Roosters and Storm at this point. Let's see how the rest of the year goes for them.

Canberra have fallen back a bit from last season. Souths don't look like too much of a threat to the premiership, and Newcastle, whilst on their day can beat anybody, are a bit too inconsistent at this point.

Injuries of course may play a big part as well.
It's all very exciting.

emjaycee

Coach
Let's not forget that semi finals is a different competition and depending on where you finish, you could be out pretty quickly.

Say the Top 8 looks like:
1. Roosters
2. Eels
3. Penrith
4. Storm
5. Sharks
6. Raiders
7. Manly
8. Knights

Week 1:
Roosters v Storm = Roosters
Eels v Panthers = Eels
Sharks v Knights = Sharks
Raiders v Manly = Raiders

Week 2:
Storm v Sharks = Sharks (bye bye Storm)
Panthers v Raiders = Panthers (bye bye Ricky)

Week 3:
Eels v Sharks
Roosters v Panthers

On form from rounds 1-8 none of the above is impossible and so trying to pick who might face who in the GF is nearly impossible and a complete waste of time until we see how the top 8 is going to unfold.

84 Baby

Referee
Let's not forget that semi finals is a different competition and depending on where you finish, you could be out pretty quickly.

Say the Top 8 looks like:
1. Roosters
2. Eels
3. Penrith
4. Storm
5. Sharks
6. Raiders
7. Manly
8. Knights

Week 1:
Roosters v Storm = Roosters
Eels v Panthers = Eels
Sharks v Knights = Sharks
Raiders v Manly = Raiders

Week 2:
Storm v Sharks = Sharks (bye bye Storm)
Panthers v Raiders = Panthers (bye bye Ricky)

Week 3:
Eels v Sharks
Roosters v Panthers

On form from rounds 1-8 none of the above is impossible and so trying to pick who might face who in the GF is nearly impossible and a complete waste of time until we see how the top 8 is going to unfold.
So I shouldn’t be booking my tickets to World Club Challenge now?

Glenneel

Bench
I look at it in a slightly different manner. It's how a team gets to the top 4 that determines how far they go. For me, it's Parra beating the likes of Newcastle, Cronulla, Cowboys, Storm and Canberra away from home and the Roosters either home or away that will give them the belief to be a serious contender. Those teams seem to have a more than decent record against the Eels. Personally, I think we're more composed than last year, just need a bit more self belief.
Beating those teams throughout the season will give the team some self belief but finals are a different matter. How many times have we lost the preliminary final and not made the GF? Wasn't it in the 2000s that we lost 3 in a row with Brian Smith as coach? We need to develop consistency and a hard edge and believe that we can win regardless of the score line, something the Storm did last Thursday. BA might get us to the finals but is he the coach to give us that belief that we can make and win the GF?

TheRam

Coach
He steers the team around nicely. Lacks the money ball or magic of our boys but he sticks to a game plan better. Has a superior kicking game and a calm head.
People seem to forget these are also skills.

And slowly those other things he lacks you mention, he will most probably, eventually develop as he matures into the role and become the complete professional.

Haters just want to hate.

Glenneel

Bench
And we did go the Scumland in 2017 and it wasn’t a lack in self-belief that lost us that game.
We last that game only because the refs allowed the scum to get away with everything. Wasn't that game where Smith played the most games of any player? The NRL wasn't going to let us win that one. From them scoring a try from a blatant forward pass going at least 2 metres forward, from us being denied a try when the ball as passed at least level or backwards, definitely not forward, from the scum being allowed to run us off the ball so protecting the person catching the ball and from us being penalised for the same thing the one and only time we did it. A f**king stitch up, much like the time the Gold Coast played the donkeys in the finals and the refs absolutely penalised to GC out of the game. The NRLs love child, the donkeys, were always going to win. Hopefully with Vándys there now that won't happen in future.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Beating those teams throughout the season will give the team some self belief but finals are a different matter. How many times have we lost the preliminary final and not made the GF? Wasn't it in the 2000s that we lost 3 in a row with Brian Smith as coach? We need to develop consistency and a hard edge and believe that we can win regardless of the score line, something the Storm did last Thursday. BA might get us to the finals but is he the coach to give us that belief that we can make and win the GF?
If Paul Green can do it why not BA? It's all about the on field leadership in big games. Brian Smith didn't want leadership in his teams which is why guys like Tallis and Lyon wanted nothing to do with him.

84 Baby

Referee
And slowly those other things he lacks you mention, he will most probably, eventually develop as he matures into the role and become the complete professional.

Haters just want to hate.
I don’t think he will develop those extra skills. His only chance is to go full Cronk. You could always sense Cronk, in Origin no less, when they received the ball on their 10m or whatever, that he’d already played out exactly how they were scoring and moved everyone around accordingly. That’s what Cleary needs to perfect in his game because he’s never really displayed the awareness, passing, running or kicking game of a heads up halfback. Similar to Cronk

84 Baby

Referee
If Paul Green can do it why not BA? It's all about the on field leadership in big games. Brian Smith didn't want leadership in his teams which is why guys like Tallis and Lyon wanted nothing to do with him.
If Paul Green can do it, why not Zoidberg?

AnonymousLurker

Juniors
As long as BA doesn’t have nervous energy or clam up like Brian Smith did , he will go fine and better teams on the day will win it .

Have faith in BA , he has us performing during the regular season like smith did during , and difference with smith and all other pretenders since he is not reliant on Hayne to win games single handily. He has entire team performing . I also think this team has now learnt from the last 2 semis we have played in

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
The queue is already forming for unwanted Warriors playmaker Blake Green, who played a blinder against the Broncos. There’s a sneaky tip the Parramatta Eels are seriously keen, probably as a No.14 to cover for Mitchell Moses and Dylan Brown.

No I think we're about a 10% chance. If I was a gambler I'd want 10:1 odds right now. Actually I'd want those odds after it was confirmed we'd finished in the top four. I'm no gambler but I'm sure nobody would be offering them. How about you? If we finish top four I'll give you a hundred bucks and if we win the comp you can give me $1000. You don't think we can do it, right? You'd love those odds.

If you were a gambler you'd know that 10% winning probability equates to 9:1 odds. Or a $10 dividend for a $1 bet.