What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Stagger eel

Staff member
If I went to the police and said that say, Stagger beat the living shit out of me 2 years ago, would they charge Stagger?

Just curious how this works?

Oh that's it, Stagger, report to Long Bay right now. That's how it works now apparently.

ok so am I defending myself against the evidence gathered by Police or the statement made by my accuser?

Gronk

Staff member
Does anyone know the nature of the charges?

Ms Ting filed a video report with police alleging she had been assaulted on multiple occasions over an eight-month period beginning in September 2014.
NSW Police issued a statement shortly after 3am on Friday morning confirming they had charged a 24-year old man "following investigations into reports of domestic violence."
"About 10.30pm yesterday, a 24-year-old man was arrested after disembarking from an international flight at Sydney Airport," the statement said.
"He was taken to Mascot Police Station where he was questioned in relation to three allegations of domestic violence that occurred in 2014 and 2015."
"As a result of investigations the man was charged with assault causing actual bodily harm domestic violence and two counts of common assault domestic violence."
"The man was also served with an apprehended violence order.
"He was given conditional bail and will appear in Parramatta Local Court on Tuesday 5 July 2016," the statement said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...e-offences-20160630-gpvyh2.html#ixzz4D6eXV08q
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

phantom eel

First Grade
He's been CHARGED by police... that's a step up from just an AVO application being granted.

He's missed training all week too - for a variety of reasons I say no way should we let Semi be in tommorrow night's game.

Yes, presume innocence, yes support the guy (as an employee of the club), yes show concern for his welfare... but just like we did for Foran when there were concerns about what he was going through/trying to cope with, we should stand down Semi even against his wishes, at least initially for this week.

Swiftstylez

Bench
We have a legal system not a justice system. Why do mostly guys have their name and reputation dragged through the mud when the evidence is not tested yet? Johnny Depp and SKD are the latest examples that come to mind. There are plenty in the media and on social media that don't give a shit about the blow to their mental health that these guys must face as long as it furthers their agendas. There are also a lot of idiots that don't realise that a pancake has two sides no matter how flat you make it. Reasonable people don't just go off their rocker unprovoked. If all that occured was Semi's allegations then that is disgusting and they should go as hard as possible on him. However like many cases before him this has not been the case and sometimes the allegations are even entirely made up.

The answer to past cases is very simple: If you blatantly lie about a crime in court you are charged with a crime that has jail time rather than still being considered a victim and brave afterwards. That way the courts can sift through the bullshit and punish those that deserve it.

Last edited:

ash411

Bench
He's been CHARGED by police... that's a step up from just an AVO application being granted.

He's missed training all week too - for a variety of reasons I say no way should we let Semi be in tommorrow night's game.

Yes, presume innocence, yes support the guy (as an employee of the club), yes show concern for his welfare... but just like we did for Foran when there were concerns about what he was going through/trying to cope with, we should stand down Semi even against his wishes, at least initially for this week.

So we should presume innocence, support him, and treat him as if he is guilty?

Sphagnum

Coach
Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two of the big rugby league clean skins in Foran and radradra have had their reputations destroyed this season. I'm saying a silent prayer every morning and night for Tim Mannah. Surely they can't find any sort of dirt on him.

phantom eel

First Grade
So we should presume innocence, support him, and treat him as if he is guilty?
No, we should give Semi this week off because:
a) he would be undergoing high levels of stress
b) he has been away all week and the club welfare team and coaches have not had the chance to monitor how he is travelling
c) his long term welfare is important, for Semi as an individual and to the club as employers
d) standing him down for welfare reasons is not an admission of guilt

Semi can attend training today and mingle with his colleagues, assuming that bonding is important to him and his welfare. The Club can reassess the situation next week, with Semi in country and liaising with our welfare team and coaches.

ash411

Bench
We have a legal system not a justice system. Why do mostly guys have their name and reputation dragged through the mud when the evidence is not tested yet? Johnny Depp and SKD are the latest examples that come to mind. There are plenty in the media and on social media that don't give a shit about the blow to their mental health that these guys must face as long as it furthers their agendas. There are also a lot of idiots that don't realise that a pancake has two sides no matter how flat you make it. Reasonable people don't just go off their rocker unprovoked. If all that occured was Semi's allegations then that is disgusting and they should go as hard as possible on him. However like many cases before him this has not been the case and sometimes the allegations are even entirely made up.

The answer to past cases is very simple: If you blatantly lie about a crime in court you are charged with a crime that has jail time rather than still being considered a victim and brave afterwards. That way the courts can sift through the bullshit and punish those that deserve it.

The biggest problem here is that it's mostly going to be his word against hers, as she never once sought treatment for any injuries, has no physical evidence, but she can have a friend of hers be a "witness" and that will be all she wrote.

Before I get accused of victim blaming, I'm not saying she is making all this up, If Semi actually did this stuff, there should be some sort of proof. If it's true, I'm totally on her side, there's no excusing it away, nothing she could have done warrants that.

Now, the thing that annoys me the most in these cases, why is it a big deal for her now? why not between 12-24 months ago when she's claiming this happened? I know if I was a woman, and my boyfriend/husband/whatever hit or even attempted to hit me, I'd be out of there so fast I'd leave a smoke trail behind me, right to the police. But now that they've separated, all of a sudden it's an issue that she needs to go to the cops to.

ash411

Bench
No, we should give Semi this week off because:
a) he would be undergoing high levels of stress
b) he has been away all week and the club welfare team and coaches have not had the chance to monitor how he is travelling
c) his long term welfare is important, for Semi as an individual and to the club as employers
d) standing him down for welfare reasons is not an admission of guilt

Semi can attend training today and mingle with his colleagues, assuming that bonding is important to him and his welfare. The Club can reassess the situation next week, with Semi in country and liaising with our welfare team and coaches.

But that it EXACTLY how it is going to look. You know full well, everyone will say for "welfare reasons" *wink*

How do you know that Semi won't take it that way? That could do more damage than letting him go about his business as usual.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Like him or not (and the game, for that matter), Folau has become a very good RU fullback. Probably second only to Israel Dagg. Hayne is the better player on raw skills but as an RU fullback Folau has him covered because ball playing is pretty much irrelevant. Plus Cheika loves Izzy so I can't see him moving him for Hayne.

Jarryd is a perfect inside centre...play making ability, a solid defender, powerful runner...but the issue is he would have to learn the role. And tbh the ARU can't match what France or Japan would offer for the same role, especially given they have three inside centres in the Wallabies system already.

spot on

ash411

Bench
Bazal said:
Like him or not (and the game, for that matter), Folau has become a very good RU fullback. Probably second only to Israel Dagg. Hayne is the better player on raw skills but as an RU fullback Folau has him covered because ball playing is pretty much irrelevant. Plus Cheika loves Izzy so I can't see him moving him for Hayne.

Jarryd is a perfect inside centre...play making ability, a solid defender, powerful runner...but the issue is he would have to learn the role. And tbh the ARU can't match what France or Japan would offer for the same role, especially given they have three inside centres in the Wallabies system already.

Not to mention that playing for Fiji has made him ineligible to be a wallaby now. So the ARU probably wouldn't bother with him anymore.