What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Chipmunk

Coach
If we targeting anyone we should be looking for a young / rookie fullback big enough to play winger for a few years (so someone fairly inexperienced so they are happy to just be playing NRL at this stage in their career), then in a few years once Drown has 100 or so games, we can potentially let Moses go (if we want) and move Gutho in the halves.

All the options suggested as halves options so far are terrible!! Not better then Moses.

Interestingly our attack only started to struggle once Moses was injured. Before his injury our attack was hardly an issue.

Our attack has been embarrasing from set sitations since the first game of the season. The only times we've been able to score when we needed to was from individual brilliance or a random second phase option with again individual brilliance probably creating the opportunity, not anything that resembles team work.

I tend to agree with Pou Bear's comment yesterday that we put alot of points on teams earlier because they just gave up. We did play the Dogs, Titans and Bronco's in the first 3 rounds, the Titans and Bronco's gave up in those games, as did the Cowboys very early in the game sometime later and we put on quite alot of points in these games. Outside of those games we've scored more than 20 in only 3 games. We've kept ourselves in every game due to our effort, which (outside of the Souths game) I don't think anyone could question, but there has only been a try in it for all our other wins except the Storm match, which was against a team that wouldn't threaten the Top 8 if that is the best team we can put on the field.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
After watching a segment on Jarrod Mullens on the Footy show I reckon that he would be a very handy pickup for our club for a few reasons.

He would be a great mentor and teacher for the younger players in the lower grades. He would also be a very cheap option and he could also be a handy fill in if or when injuries happen to any of our playmakers in the NRL squad.

We could do a lot worse.

Marshall wouId be better....

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I would also suggest we need the best young hooker we can get. I'd like a 20 year old hooker. Does not have to go 80 minutes.

We potentially have Schneider - he appears to have been training with the squad (could be wrong, think someone posted a photo of him training with the team), so that area is covered.

he has had 2 off-seasons with the NRL squad and has made a few junior rep sides.

no NSW cup (and 20’s) has put the development of a lot of players including Schneider behind.

https://www.parraeels.com.au/news/2...players-and-young-faces-join-2020-pre-season/

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2018/01/16/schneider-progresses-beyond-his-years/

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...7/news-story/84cbc82961afc90482f4ab8633da33a9

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2017/12/31/18-stars-of-2018--kyle-schneider/

BTW he is on a development contract.

anyhow see articles above he is a young 20 hooker with potential

Chipmunk

Coach
Apparently we have 19 players signed up for next season.

The Top 13 plus Niukore and Kaufusi.

Plus
Alvaro
Dunster
Hughes
Rankin

Two of those are obviously rookies and the other two reserves if we get alot of injuries.

Apparently they have announced there will be a squad of 30 again next season, but I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere.

This is the off-contract list
Davey
Davies
Field
Gower
Gennings
Salmon
Smith
Stone
Takairangi
Terepo

To be honest they're all probably worth a minimum wage contract, but I doubt I'd lose any sleep if any of them departed and we just had different rookies/journeymen than those 10. At the end of the day, none of them are needed for our Top 17.

So, would we have enough cap space to buy two players that will significantly strengthen our squad???

If so, who do we look at?

I think someone like John Asiata would make a bit of a difference to our squad coming off the bench. At the moment we have no variety off the bench and he would complement Junior. Also wouldn't be a significantly more outlay than any of those 10 above.

lingard

Coach
Name a player we should replace Moses with? You keeping on talking about letting Moses go for a better player to help them but you can’t name a singe, player we should sign?

name someone? If there is not one better, why move Moses on, as @Poupou Escobar said he does his job.

It's not a matter of getting someone 'better' than Moses - it's a matter of getting someone to fill a particular role better than (we think) Moses will. If we were to buy a fully fit Keiran Foran (for example) I'd say, get rid of Dylan Brown and keep Moses. But if our intentions are to persevere with Brown, then he needs to be the dominant half (organising half back). They are more valuable (and rarer) than a very good (but erratic and less dominant) five-eight like Moses. But this will take time. Is Moses the best player to help Dylan Brown achieve his goals? I don't think so. Too erratic, both in attack and defence, and wants to be the dominant half, anyway. So, at some point (in my opinion) he has to go. If D.Brown was two years further down the track of his development and Moses was prepared to play 'second-fiddle' to him, then I'd say keep Moses. But this is not the reality. As for who could replace Moses? Right now? That's a difficult one. Who would you recommend?

murraymob

Coach
The problem the clubs have isn’t so much the number of player rather what the cap is .It is believed it will be a 10% cut

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It's not a matter of getting someone 'better' than Moses - it's a matter of getting someone to fill a particular role better than (we think) Moses will. If we were to buy a fully fit Keiran Foran (for example) I'd say, get rid of Dylan Brown and keep Moses. But if our intentions are to persevere with Brown, then he needs to be the dominant half (organising half back). They are more valuable (and rarer) than a very good (but erratic and less dominant) five-eight like Moses. But this will take time. Is Moses the best player to help Dylan Brown achieve his goals? I don't think so. Too erratic, both in attack and defence, and wants to be the dominant half, anyway. So, at some point (in my opinion) he has to go. If D.Brown was two years further down the track of his development and Moses was prepared to play 'second-fiddle' to him, then I'd say keep Moses. But this is not the reality. As for who could replace Moses? Right now? That's a difficult one. Who would you recommend?
Moses played second fiddle to Jai Field on Friday. He's been second fiddle to Dylan Brown all year. This is what's referred to as 'buying in'.

lingard

Coach
If Blake was such a liability he wouldn't have won so many NRL games.

Here's a tip: he didn't win them - the teams he was in won them. He's very lucky we have little depth in the centres currently, and COVID 19 means that they aren't match-fit anyway. Otherwise he would have been dropped six weeks ago. His game against Penrith was just too bad to be true. Same with Sivo.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Or is it called 'having an injury'. Also, you're wrong with your first two sentences.
Whatever the reason, Moses made fewer runs and passes than Field. He has made fewer runs and passes than Dylan Brown in nearly every game. The only thing he does more than those two is kick.

emjaycee

Coach
I am confused a little by all this talk about getting rid of Moses.
In 2019 he was the Dally M Halfback of the Year.
In 2020 we won 2/2 games before the game was halted for 8 weeks due to the pandemic, during which time he injured his calf.
He returned regardless and was playing well, for 5 more rounds which we won 4 of, and then he suffered a different calf strain/tear causing him to miss 3 games.
He returned in round 11 and the club announced they would need to manage his injury for the remainder of the year, which means limit his running, etc.
By round 16 or 17, there are posters on here calling for him to be let go mid-contract and Miford, Maloney, Marshall or even Mullens signed to replace him.
Makes no sense to me.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Im a Moses fan but something is wrong and I'm not totally convinced its his injury. Eg a massive run in an earlier game when run down by the cover. Eg2 his kick and chase try. Eg3 his long kicking game is still bloody long.
Whether its our support play, our attacking structures or our emphasis in D I dont know. Last year his short kicking game was sublime. Where's that gone?
To every question there is an answer. The people paid to answer that question need to solve the puzzle.
The Moses situation is starting to smell like our past Norman/Moses problem. We couldn't fix it so lets get rid of either of them. That cant be our end game this time around. The way our team are attacking is so much more that what Moses is producing.