What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So, under that logic, before there were any rules about when you could approach a player regarding what they do when their contract expires......everybody was always off contract?
Off contract means they are in the final year of their current contract and negotiating (or hoping to) for the following year.

Noise

Coach
If a player’s contract ends after the 2021 season, are they not on contract for 2021? So they are both on contract and off contract?

Eelementary

Post Whore
Fergo has annoyed me no end this year. That said, I reckon his confidence has been effected hugely by Waqa which has contibuted massively to his drop in form. There were a couple of green shoots poking through after Mennings switched sides so all is not lost. Fergo in the right mood is a great player and a great leader two things we have missed with his on field performances this year. An in form Fergo could be the spark we need should he be fit.

I think you're right - Ferguson has struggled, because Blake has no idea.

Off contract means they are in the final year of their current contract and negotiating (or hoping to) for the following year.

Who says? When you are referring to a future date (as per the OP) that definition doesn't work.

Chris McQueen's current contract, for e.g., expires at the end of the 2020 season:

TIGERS SET FOR A CLEAN OUT

WWOSreports Wests Tigers coach Michael Maguire is keen to move on a number of senior players in a player clean out ahead of 2021.

On that list reportedly are forwards Russell Packer, signed until the end of 2021, and Chris McQueen, off-contract at the end of the season.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/d57ff4a351a2c0bd526481c7342b3b92

If you describe someone as being 'off contract' at a particular future date....that's when their contract ends. People do use the phrase informally in the present tense (e.g. McQueen's off contract....meaning 'McQueen's off contract at the end of the season').

Is King Gutho off contract in November 2021?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If a player’s contract ends after the 2021 season, are they not on contract for 2021? So they are both on contract and off contract?
Off contract refers to the following season. On contract, if the term is ever used, refers to the current season.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Who says? When you are referring to a future date (as per the OP) that definition doesn't work.

Chris McQueen's current contract, for e.g., expires at the end of the 2020 season:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/d57ff4a351a2c0bd526481c7342b3b92

If you describe someone as being 'off contract' at a particular future date....that's when their contract ends. People do use the phrase informally in the present tense (e.g. McQueen's off contract....meaning 'McQueen's off contract at the end of the season').

Is King Gutho off contract in November 2021?
That's how I've always seen it used. In the final year of a player's contract he is 'off contract'. Obviously it's semantics but I've seen it used that many times that that is how I understand it. To be honest I'm surprised that people are struggling with it.

84 Baby

Referee
Anyway getting back to Gronks original comment, how does Fergo or anyone else coming off contract at the end of NEXT season, help us during next season?

emjaycee

Coach
Anyway getting back to Gronks original comment, how does Fergo or anyone else coming off contract at the end of NEXT season, help us during next season?
It helps us if for argument sake, Raiders want Ferguson for 2022 and try and get him early (for 2021) and we decide to release him from his CURRENT contract.

lingard

Coach
He isnt that old. 30 so its strange he has slowed up so much. MJ had a year like that also in 2018. But he turned back the clock in 2019 and even this year has been solid.
No reason Fergo can't rest up and have one more big year. I feel during season he needed to be rested time to time......

Sivo I reckon another club would go for. He would be easier to move on.

I don't think Fergo's slowed up all that much. Besides, it's his strength and finesse that are his main attributes anyway. I just think having Waqa inside him has f**ked his game.

lingard

Coach
When both our wingers were massively out of form, it would of been good for someone else to be given a run. Now it seams both wingers will be replaced for a sudden death game with players that have had F^*k all game time.

It appears to have been a massive mistake.

I think off contract is a shortened version of off contract at the end of this season. But now the literal interpretation is incorrect so it's a bad term given that people discussing player signings would have different levels of familiarity with it. We can and must do better.

lingard

Coach
That's how I've always seen it used. In the final year of a player's contract he is 'off contract'. Obviously it's semantics but I've seen it used that many times that that is how I understand it. To be honest I'm surprised that people are struggling with it.

Well, how come you're struggling then?

84 Baby

Referee
It helps us if for argument sake, Raiders want Ferguson for 2022 and try and get him early (for 2021) and we decide to release him from his CURRENT contract.
A) are you suggesting that is a possibility?
B) it doesn’t really help us for 2021 unless it happens in time to utilise that space effectively within 2021.

Latest posts