Rumours and Stuff

Discussion in 'Parramatta Eels' started by Gronk, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Avenger

Avenger Referee

There is always an element of luck required to win a comp however I think when we end up sacking BA he will not rise again like Lazarus or Cleary for that matter.

2. Poupou Escobar

Poupou Escobar Post Whore

Well Cleary has gotten to two grand finals, so his resume is better than Arthur's. But as I said, Arthur has the wood on him. How much comes down to coaching and how much to luck? It doesn't just take luck to win a competition. It takes luck to win any given game. As Cleary's record against Arthur shows, even 12 games is a small sample. Arthur has coached half that in the finals and half of those six were against the Melbourne Storm. Unlucky.

3. Happy MEel

Happy MEel First Grade

Well then perhaps their stints on the sideline needed to be staggered.

hineyrulz and Soto like this.
  4. IFR33K

IFR33K Coach

Part of the issues with us moving forward (imo) is BA has his favorites and seems content when players continually have average games. He’s either slow to react or can’t address issues. Maybe better support around him may help, who knows.

5. hineyrulz

hineyrulz Post Whore

Only two second hand coaches have won a comp the last 20 years. Bennett and Sheens and their records speak for themselves. The rest have all been first time coaches at that club. Cleary is the only one who could break that trend and he had made a GF with the warriors. So unless we snag a Robinson or Bellamy a recycled coach is hardly the way to go. We just have to identify to next great up and coming coach, easier said than done.

6. emjaycee

emjaycee First Grade

Or a stronger roster of players 18-30.

Joely01 and Poupou Escobar like this.
  7. Avenger

Avenger Referee

I’ll be interested to see what Holbrook does next year with the Titans. He was in our system and didn’t even get to be an assistant.

Gazzamatta likes this.
  8. Gazzamatta

Gazzamatta First Grade

He coached our U20s and was pinched by The Chooks as an assistant.
    Yep. He's a goodun. Thought he had a bright future when he was in control of our 20s. They played different to the style the club was generally playing. More entertaining. He killed it in the UK. Boat missed there but there are always opportunities. You just need to be committed to looking or keeping an open mind.
    I still wonder what happened to Mick Potter. Its good to hear Ryan Carr might have increased responsibilities season next.

9. hindy111

hindy111 Immortal

I still think Robert Kennings would be a handy pick up.

But our best way forward is use this 11 free spots to target some of the best juniors coming through across all clubs.

Soto, TheRam and Gazzamatta like this.
  10. 84 Baby

84 Baby Coach

No it wouldn’t be. Well... it depends what the goal is. But if we want to go better next year, we need players that will improve the squad. Untested rookies won’t, at least 11 of them won’t. A few in the squad is good.

Joely01 likes this.
  11. hindy111

hindy111 Immortal

2022/2023 would be fine

12. Obscene Assassin

Obscene Assassin First Grade

We're already going to have 2 non-capped rookies in Hughes and Hollis in the top 30 next year and Dunster with only 1 game next to his name. Reed has only just cracked 50 games and Dyl another season off it. Oregon is largely untested and will be expected to increase his minutes, and you may have to add Marata to that too. We have youthful players, we don't need many if any more. We should leave 2 spots open for pathway players to come through, but to suggest we need 11 of them is ludicrous.

We should be targeting unwanted players at other clubs, you can get them a bit cheaper and they've got a bit of experience.

13. TheRam

TheRam First Grade

I think you and a few others are missing the point of why there are so many frustrated with our team and their performances.

It isn't that we only came 3rd and that we should have gone on with it or all the things you have stated above, which are all great and commendable.

It's about the way we played in the second half of the season. We where essentially the worst attacking team in the comp and by the end of the season we had also become a basket case in defense.

If we had started the comp slowly and built up into a powerful and well drilled winning team by the end of it, everyone here would be stoked and singing the praises of the team and coach, even if we didn't win the GF and our collective feeling would be with a few minor changes and a bit of luck we could go all the way. But instead, we regressed to playing like a team that should have been in the bottom four and that there are quite a few pieces still missing. Like 2 or 3 quality players which are not easy to come by since our junior development of players is still shithouse and a coaching staff clean out that if not done right means we lose even more future seasons.

So to me and many others the predicament we are in primarily stems from our coaching staffs lack of ability to bring the best out of our current roster and at the right time. We have a quality roster that when playing well can nail any team to the wall and yet they were playing like strangers for most of the second half of the season.

That comes down to how the team is prepared. The coach has to wear the blame for that. He keeps making these errors that the best coaches don't seem to. How much longer are we meant to allow this guy to keep learn how to be a top NRL coach?

And now we hear that he isn't happy with the HoF. Oh poor bugger. I'll tell you what, why doesn't he pull his head in, put a smile on his face and take the help that the people around him are trying to give him. Because there are tens of thousands who support this club that are definitely not happy with him.

hindy111, IFR33K and hineyrulz like this.
  14. Gronk

Gronk Moderator Staff Member

You promote yourself as an astute judge however you have completely overlooked the injuries to our spine for our funk in the back half of the season.

15. 84 Baby

84 Baby Coach

My targets would be, in order:
    Bench hooker (not just a backup)
    Starting centre (although obviously we need to factor in Jenko and whether we may be suddenly flush with a bit more cap)
    Bench prop
    Backup middle (or possibly a starting 2nd rower and Lane moves to bench)
    Couple of reserve utility forwards
    Couple of reserve utility backs
    Maybe then a couple of prospects

16. TheRam

TheRam First Grade

I kind of think your opinions may actually improve if you sought Mik's advise. They couldn't be any sillier.

Your dumber then a box of spanners option has the potential to piss off two of our spine players ffs. For what? Gutherson was one of the top 3 fullbacks this year. So unless you are recruiting one of the other two you are weakening that position and probably pissing him right off in the process.

Then there is young Dillon. I'm sure he will take kindly to being told you aren't a play maker anymore champ, we think you are better suited to the centres. Hahahahaha...

Not even Arthur's as stupid as a deadshit boofhead opinion like that.

IFR33K and Joely01 like this.
  17. 84 Baby

84 Baby Coach

I call bullshit. If we had reversed the halves of our season, firstly the “realists” would’ve been whinging for BAs head by midseason then most of them would’ve disregarded the improved second half and still be whining about it.
    Secondly, when we went out of finals in second week, even the realists who were feeling a few minor changes and luck would see us go on would just go back to whinging.

Poupou Escobar likes this.
  18. 84 Baby

84 Baby Coach

Hate to give him credit but Stuart proved it’s a feasible option with Wighton.

19. TheRam

TheRam First Grade

Whoever doesn't rate Cleary is as dopey as you. The guy is in the top 3-4 coaches of the game and when Bennett and Bellamy go will be in the top 2.

I have always rated him. He has just been very unlucky that he has always had to start with weak rostered teams. He has finally gone to a team that has a quality roster in his second coming at the Panthers and hey presto, GF appearance in his 2nd year.

Not to shabby.

20. TheRam

TheRam First Grade

You are a dopey fool if you think that winning any game comes down to luck.

I tell you what, if that's the case, why don't we all save us a heap of money and effort and not recruit the best possible staff, coaches or players and not bother training as hard or hard or the long hours of planning and video sessions and just wing it on the day of every game? We'll kill it mate. The comp won't know what hit them.

We'll call it the PouNastics theory.