What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Glenneel

Bench
I don't see why French can't, at the very least, match Gutherson's contributions in attack; he has just as much skill in terms of kicking, and passing, and his superior speed, and acceleration, make him a more dangerous threat to create holes.

I'm not advocating moving Gutherson from fullback, but I am trying to add balance to the argument that French will add some attacking spark.
As I've said for some time we lack speed, and French would certainly add that, probably be the fastest person in NRL. BA needs to change as he is incapable of delivering premiership with current mindset but capable of assembling a premiership roster.

Bellamy knows what it takes to deliver a premiership (other than cheating) and that was big tough forwards and speed in the backs. Storm have premiership window closing after this year, they're loosing both wingers and probably Cam Smith after this year.

BA has proved incapable of moving players out of their favourite position to improve the team. He wouldn't even move Blake out of centre despite his defensive flaws all year. Unless he changes another year will pass without ultimate success.

TheRam

Coach
You promote yourself as an astute judge however you have completely overlooked the injuries to our spine for our funk in the back half of the season.

No I haven't. Our injuries didn't account for that total evaporation of any attacking structures or prowess within the team as a team. It all started even before Moses got injured and Mahoney's shoulder doesn't stop him from running virtually all season.

The bulldogs nearly beat us for ffs. And didn't nearly every team out point us over the last half of the season?

TheRam

Coach
Hate to give him credit but Stuart proved it’s a feasible option with Wighton.

Sticky had no other option at 6 and so took the punt. We have one of the best prospects to come out of our club as a playmaker in decades and you want to move him out into the centres? And then replace him with a player that is in the best form of his career at fullback and bring in who?

French...a player who looks and plays as tough as a French baguette. Good one.

Delboy

First Grade
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
But it is broke, we didn't win the comp.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it

Typical LU day on the Eels Forum.

I’ve said it before, BA as head coach is probably crucial to the club, he has identified the players that we need and has taken us to a position of competitiveness and a place players would consider.

Personally think it’s sensible to bring new voices into the coaching set up, if Ryan Carr has more responsibility that’s a start. Loyalty is good but change is also refreshing, so changes to the assistants that have been at the club makes sense. Guess it depends who’s out there , but could make the next step easier.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joely01

Bench
Looks like there’s a Centre worth pursuing, Naden at Penrith seems to be on the nose at club!
Worth trying to get?

If MJ is gone, Backline next season of:
1. Gutho
2. SIVO
3. Naden
4. Waqa
5. Fergo

looks a better option then moving half the backline around!

Delboy

First Grade
Posting from a phone has issues for luddites like me :-

I’ve said it before, BA as head coach is probably crucial to the club, he has identified the players that we need and has taken us to a position of competitiveness and a place players would consider.

Personally think it’s sensible to bring new voices into the coaching set up, if Ryan Carr has more responsibility that’s a start. Loyalty is good but change is also refreshing, so changes to the assistants that have been at the club makes sense. Guess it depends who’s out there , but could make the next step easier.

IFR33K

Coach
Posting from a phone has issues for luddites like me :-

I honestly wonder what your opinion of BA would be if you didn’t know him and his family. He’s done a decent job but certainly has his flaws and limitations.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You are a dopey fool if you think that winning any game comes down to luck.
If there's no luck involved how did we beat the Panthers, Raiders and Storm - three teams that are better than us.
I tell you what, if that's the case, why don't we all save us a heap of money and effort and not recruit the best possible staff, coaches or players and not bother training as hard or hard or the long hours of planning and video sessions and just wing it on the day of every game?
Because you want to take luck out of the equation as much as possible. You'll just never totally eliminate it as a factor. But rest assured it is most certainly a factor. Penrith will need luck to beat the Storm this weekend. If the Storm lose it will be due to bad luck, nothing else. It won't be Bellamy's fault or anyone else's.

84 Baby

Referee
Sticky had no other option at 6 and so took the punt. We have one of the best prospects to come out of our club as a playmaker in decades and you want to move him out into the centres? And then replace him with a player that is in the best form of his career at fullback and bring in who?

French...a player who looks and plays as tough as a French baguette. Good one.
He had quite a few options in the halves actually. Not superstars but at the time definitely better than Simple Jack, who was also a very good fullback. And replaced him with a winger from the Warriors who wasn’t a super star either.
I’m not an advocate for getting French BTW but it does have some precedence.
Also you want to know who else play small fullbacks? Both this year’s grand finalists

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
If suggesting BA plays favourites, doesnt like change, should probably consider after a shit season he took a massive risk in letting an experience half leave, to take a chance on a 19 year old half along with a 21 old hooker .........

He could have easily taken the safe path but he didn’t and it’s now paying off.....both have 40- 50 or so games and 4 games of final experience ......

we have now finished 5th, 3rd.......seems like we are heading in the right direction....

SneakyEel

Juniors
Looks like there’s a Centre worth pursuing, Naden at Penrith seems to be on the nose at club!
Worth trying to get?

1. Gutho
2. SIVO
3. Naden
4. Waqa
5. Fergo

Nadens a pass can't tackle

IFR33K

Coach
If suggesting BA plays favourites, doesnt like change, should probably consider after a shit season he took a massive risk in letting an experience half leave, to take a chance on a 19 year old half along with a 21 old hooker .........

He could have easily taken the safe path but he didn’t and it’s now paying off.....both have 40- 50 or so games and 4 games of final experience ......

we have now finished 5th, 3rd.......seems like we are heading in the right direction....

Lol was that after a spoon season and knowing his halves pairing wasn’t working and there was supposed issues between the two.

yeah big risk punting a party boy that had about 6 chances. Glad BA was at the helm then, I could of seen 90% of other coaches extending Norman.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Lol was that after a spoon season and knowing his halves pairing wasn’t working and there was supposed issues between the two.

yeah big risk punting a party boy that had about 6 chances. Glad BA was at the helm then, I could of seen 90% of other coaches extending Norman.

Well punting Norman wasn’t the big risk, it was actually replacing him with a 19 year old (along with a rookie hooker), rather then go to market to sign someone with more experienced (at either 5/8 or 9).....after a spoon season .....,

I doubt many coaches wouId do that with their career on the line, putting faith in 2 players with only combined 9 games....

so yeah in my opinion, he does make the big decisions/happy to change ....

strider

Post Whore
Worth trying to get?

1. Gutho
2. SIVO
3. Naden
4. Waqa
5. Fergo

Why is naden on the nose? Cos he was left out of the lineup for one game?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Why is naden on the nose? Cos he was left out of the lineup for one game?

Buzz just suggested it on the BSB this morning.

mainly because he is off contract soon and the panthers have plenty of cover in the backs so may not be a priority to re-sign him....it was suggested he was “dropped” because of some defensive issues against the roosters.

strider

Post Whore
Buzz just suggested it on the BSB this morning.

mainly because he is off contract soon and the panthers have plenty of cover in the backs so may not be a priority to re-sign him....it was suggested he was “dropped” because of some defensive issues against the roosters.
Ahhhh

Tbh naden always seemed the least likely of the penrith younguns. He was flipped between wing n centre a bit. Crichton seems locked in for the future. Staines must have been told something if he agreed to stay. Edwards was actually playing centre in attack on the weekend. If Burton stays he might end up playing some centre too.

TheRam

Coach
If there's no luck involved how did we beat the Panthers, Raiders and Storm - three teams that are better than us.

Because you want to take luck out of the equation as much as possible. You'll just never totally eliminate it as a factor. But rest assured it is most certainly a factor. Penrith will need luck to beat the Storm this weekend. If the Storm lose it will be due to bad luck, nothing else. It won't be Bellamy's fault or anyone else's.

That is a totally different statement from your other one. Teams like Melbourne only really rely on luck for injuries. Other then that they train and play to make their own luck.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

We are banking on our attacking improvement coming from individual growth in Drown and Mahoney. Given their ages I'd be surprised if it didn't happen. There's a reason the best playmakers are all older, it's because decision making improves with experience.