What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

The Colonel

Immortal
Au'avu is a strong fast hard running centre.A bit of a Hurrell / Lailaua type with better foot work.Not quite as much power.
I actually rate him. Has loads of potential.Like stagger said could be hit and miss but more potential then young jennings who if fit could also be a first grader.
I like these type of signings.Bar the troubled past they have upside

:laughing::laughing::laughing::weary:

Not even in the same class as Leilua or Hurrell on a good day.

Serious?? ... I actually don't rate him, from what I've seen he's a bit of a slug

Yep. Good depth for Wentworthville but shouldn't be playing regular first grade football. Probably more suited to the back row long term. That he played so much first grade at Souths just shows how much money they had tied up in the likes of the Burgii and Inglis.

Gronk

Staff member
Neither of them took their fists to a woman. Not for me this bloke.

Auva'a did basically the same as Greg Inglis.

The court heard Auva'a flew into a rage, waking terrified housemates who phoned 000, before attacking his ex-girlfriend.

He pushed her over, punched holes in walls at the home and swung her into a garage wall, fleeing before police arrived.

Melbourne Storm star Greg Inglis has escaped a conviction and been ordered to complete a diversion order after this morning accepting responsibility for an open-hand push on on-again, off-again partner Sally Robinson.

The NRL (and fans) need to be consistent with their position on DV and not throw lesser known merkins under the bus and forgive the "stars".

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...ing-in-melbourne/story-fni0fee2-1226934747767

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...iction-over-assault-charge-20100412-s2lg.html

If Semi is convicted, then his level of DV against women will be pretty much the same as the above two. If we are to adopt a zero tolerance attitude towards DV, then Semi is on thin ice.

Auva'a did basically the same as Greg Inglis.

The NRL (and fans) need to be consistent with their position on DV and not throw lesser known merkins under the bus and forgive the "stars".

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...ing-in-melbourne/story-fni0fee2-1226934747767

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...iction-over-assault-charge-20100412-s2lg.html

If Semi is convicted, then his level of DV against women will be pretty much the same as the above two. If we are to adopt a zero tolerance attitude towards DV, then Semi is on thin ice.

Inglis was found not found guilty of a criminal offence. But agree re the position on Semi.

Stevie

Bench
I'm surprised with the debate on Hunt, my opinion is that if we can afford him and get him then do it. Gutho can fit in other places and you rarely find a quality half on the market. If we can afford it and have too many players to fit into the 17 its a great position to be in.
If this season taught us anything its that its a loooooooooong season.

TheRam

Coach
Hunt is a better player than Moses, and suits what we need better. Moses' defence is Sandow-esque, and he's a running. reasonably ad lib five eighth. We already have that player in Corey Norman, who is much better than Moses. Hunt is a controlling halfback with a very good kicking game, and deadly taking the ball to the line.

7-800k under the increasing cap is about right, he's a similar level player to Norman who we were all happy to sign at around that price.

Moses to me is more like a young James Maloney. Not the best defender early on and still may miss some tackles but over all grand final winner who can play SOO too.

But Moses in my opinion is a more skillful straight runner who takes on the line, just like Maloney.

To compare Moses to a 5+ year Hunt who has struggled for most of his 1st grade career is ridiculous, even though I rate Hunt when he is at his best.

But I feel that Moses over the long term will be a far superior player to Hunt.

What is the increase of the salary cap and when does this start, that makes you feel that 800k is a reasonable amount for a player who since his debut has only must maybe two consistent good seasons?

In saying all this I don't mind Hunt, and if anyone here remembers, I advocated we try to sign him when he was a junior tearing it up in the Broncos lower grades. But at the right price, not silly money.

The Colonel

Immortal
Moses to me is more like a young James Maloney. Not the best defender early on and still may miss some tackles but over all grand final winner who can play SOO too.

But Moses in my opinion is a more skillful straight runner who takes on the line, just like Maloney.

To compare Moses to a 5+ year Hunt who has struggled for most of his 1st grade career is ridiculous, even though I rate Hunt when he is at his best.

What is the increase of the salary cap and when does this start, that makes you feel that 800k is a reasonable amount for a player who since his debut has only must maybe two consistent good seasons?

In saying all this I don't mind Hunt, and if anyone here remembers, I advocated we try to sign him when he was a junior tearing it up in the Broncos lower grades. But at the right price, not silly money.

I would be comparing Norman and Moses at the moment. They are similar players, however Norman at this stage is a better organiser. I believe he would be better suited to have a player like Hunt lining up with him rather than a player like Moses.

I think that the Tigers are prepared to lose Brooks to keep Moses but I still believe they will end up keeping both.

Hunt has taken time to adjust to the NRL but has still done a remarkable job. I think the Broncos have struggled this year due to a lack of size in the forwards - they have great mobility and endurance but lack size. Hunt certainly didn't play as well as he did last year but that can be put down to the forward pack.

hindy111

Post Whore
Serious?? ... I actually don't rate him, from what I've seen he's a bit of a slug

I remember him in 2014 and was thinking I liked this guy. Tough and hit line hard.Slug no.He is electric with speed but has enough toe.Quicker then gutherson + taka id say.

hindy111

Post Whore

Moses + Moylan could lead NSW in halves for 5 yrs.

Moses I think could be the next superstar along Johns-fitler+thurston.
Hunt is a solid player in a very good side. Has had 2 good years but no superstar. 500k would be my limit for 2017 and perhaps a little more for 2018.

hindy111

Post Whore
:laughing::laughing::laughing::weary:

Not even in the same class as Leilua or Hurrell on a good day.

Yep. Good depth for Wentworthville but shouldn't be playing regular first grade football. Probably more suited to the back row long term. That he played so much first grade at Souths just shows how much money they had tied up in the likes of the Burgii and Inglis.
I was calling for us to look at Leilua when at knights.He was a mistake riddled player but showed talent.
I am not saying this guy is anywhere near as good.I do think he has plenty of talent and is a first grader.And could be a very good one. Id compare him to a Tima lafai with a bit more foot work and speed.

TheRam

Coach
Au'avu is a strong fast hard running centre.A bit of a Hurrell / Lailaua type with better foot work.Not quite as much power.
I actually rate him. Has loads of potential.Like stagger said could be hit and miss but more potential then young jennings who if fit could also be a first grader.
I like these type of signings.Bar the troubled past they have upside

I wouldn't say he was in the class of Hurrell and co but he is definitely a handy fast and strong player. He was another player I thought would be good to get, until his appalling behaviour was exposed.

Has he been reformed? Has he really taken the right steps and responsibility for his actions? Only he and our club's inner circle will know. If he has gotten himself straight then I think he will surprise a few here as to his quality as a 1st grader. He can play...when there is little noise in his head.

hindy111

Post Whore
That was basically like a Walker highlights package
You see Auvau step and score- You also see his speed and offload. What would of this guy cost?

Look at some of our recruits over the last 5 yrs. Norman and Peats have been great buys ( thanks ricky )

Sandow - Lussick - Foran - Hoppa - Watmough head the list of our big name flops that crippled this club.

Whilst Jennings is not in anyway a flop he doesn't provide great value either.

Look at some of our lesser buys -

Gower
Gutherson
Taka

And a few we saw talent in - Manu - KE - Semi.

It is not hard to see what have been the better purchases.

Beau scott has been a good purchase for his first season. But hardly destroyed teams and was relatively low risk- You knew what would get with him.

hindy111

Post Whore
I wouldn't say he was in the class of Hurrell and co but he is definitely a handy fast and strong player. He was another player I thought would be good to get, until his appalling behaviour was exposed.

Has he been reformed? Has he really taken the right steps and responsibility for his actions? Only he and our club's inner circle will know. If he has gotten himself straight then I think he will surprise a few here as to his quality as a 1st grader. He can play...when there is little noise in his head.

Hurrell has brutal power. But a smarts just aren't their. He is not a great defender for a guy his size and is quite error prone. To many negatives outway his positives for me. He sure is a brutal runner of the ball thou.

TheRam

Coach
I would be comparing Norman and Moses at the moment. They are similar players, however Norman at this stage is a better organiser. I believe he would be better suited to have a player like Hunt lining up with him rather than a player like Moses.

I think that the Tigers are prepared to lose Brooks to keep Moses but I still believe they will end up keeping both.

Hunt has taken time to adjust to the NRL but has still done a remarkable job. I think the Broncos have struggled this year due to a lack of size in the forwards - they have great mobility and endurance but lack size. Hunt certainly didn't play as well as he did last year but that can be put down to the forward pack.

I agree with most of what you are saying, but I don't think Hunt will come cheap and because of that he is a risk at that $800K price that everyone is willing to throw at the guy.

I don't see Moses and Norman as the same kind of players. Moses is a direct runner and as such is worth much to most coaches and teams. There are very few top quality straight and effective ball players in the NRL at present, with probably Maloney being the only other one of rep level..

Stevie

Bench
You see Auvau step and score- You also see his speed and offload. What would of this guy cost?

Look at some of our recruits over the last 5 yrs. Norman and Peats have been great buys ( thanks ricky )

Sandow - Lussick - Foran - Hoppa - Watmough head the list of our big name flops that crippled this club.

Whilst Jennings is not in anyway a flop he doesn't provide great value either.

Look at some of our lesser buys -

Gower
Gutherson
Taka

And a few we saw talent in - Manu - KE - Semi.

It is not hard to see what have been the better purchases.

Beau scott has been a good purchase for his first season. But hardly destroyed teams and was relatively low risk- You knew what would get with him.

BTW If you think Auvau is faster than Gutherson you're dreaming.

hindy111

Post Whore
BTW If you think Auvau is faster than Gutherson you're dreaming.

Would not be a lot in it. I am not saying he is a better player-Gutherson is a future captain of our club and has more skills.
Who would I say is harder to tackle? Auvau for sure.

Anyhows like Jennings he is a project low risk signing.If he comes off great.He wont start the year in our top 17 and wont be costing more then 150K

The Colonel

Immortal
I agree with most of what you are saying, but I don't think Hunt will come cheap and because of that he is a risk at that $800K price that everyone is willing to throw at the guy.

I don't see Moses and Norman as the same kind of players. Moses is a direct runner and as such is worth much to most coaches and teams. There are very few top quality straight and effective ball players in the NRL at present, with probably Maloney being the only other one of rep level..

The comparison I was trying to make is in they are similar players in the sense that they need an organiser to complement them rather than another similar player. This is where I think Hunt is a complimentary player to a Milford. I don't see two players like Norman and Moses excelling. Not that I see Moses leaving the Tigers just yet either.

As for coming cheap - if as reports suggest that the Broncos are trying to offload him he may well do for 2017.

Stevie

Bench
Would not be a lot in it. I am not saying he is a better player-Gutherson is a future captain of our club and has more skills.
Who would I say is harder to tackle? Auvau for sure.

Anyhows like Jennings he is a project low risk signing.If he comes off great.He wont start the year in our top 17 and wont be costing more then 150K

No doubt he would be harder to stop than Gutherson mate. But I think you'll find Gutherson is one of the fastest at the club.
I actually remember Auvau being a better defender than attacker, he had plenty of whack in hits (pardon the pun).

Latest posts