Rumours and Stuff

Discussion in 'Parramatta Eels' started by Gronk, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Soto

Soto Juniors

Firmly believe Sivo was fine until Parker from Manly put his life on the line and smashed his knee...wasn't the same player after that as must've been hampered by injury. Very little oomph in his runs and his contributions were down.
    I think Opacic, Oldfield and Dunster will do a good job when called upon. Don't get me wrong if we cab can jag a good centre happy days.
    We lost the Rabbits semi as we had our 2 starting wingers and starting centre out of the game and still put up a decent fight.
    Take the 2 starting wingers and starting centre out of any team and see how they go?
    We lost a lot when our starting forwards were going off last year. With the acquisition of Papalii, Cartwright, Hipgrave, Roache plus Kaufusi and Nuikore our bench will be stronger than ever..must maintain rage and intensity in the fwds before the backs can do anything..
    Battle is always won upfront..backs decide how much a game is won by

2. Poupou Escobar

Poupou Escobar Post Whore

They got us to the top four, and we were going okay in the Melbourne final until two of them got hurt.

gaffer likes this.
  3. Joshuatheeel

Joshuatheeel Moderator Staff Member

Ok so you want us to sign a back instead of Cartwright? Fair enough, who would you sign for the $120k we signed Cartwright for? Name someone available for around that price ?

this pretty much supports my point of view any signings are on non top 13 money .......we don’t have the capacity for a top line back signing thus the signing of cheapies Oldfield / Opacic...

Poupou Escobar and Matty Bhoy like this.
  4. hineyrulz

hineyrulz Post Whore

Wrong Fred.

5. 84 Baby

84 Baby Coach

Flintstone or Right Said?

6. hineyrulz

hineyrulz Post Whore

Go the Baldies

[​IMG]

7. Gazzamatta

Gazzamatta First Grade

I reckon Opacic will be in SOO contention if he stays healthy. A strong player who is far better than a run of the mill backup. Im more concerned about the other three although I think Fergo will bounce back somewhat.
    Sivo was definitely better in 2019 but has he ever shown speed or a willingness for big involvment? I hope for the best but comparisons with Semi are way off.
    Waqa? Are we able to improve his defence and his combination with his winger? Big and strong and great potential but lacks fundamentals.
    If we are struggling and Oldfield is performing in The CC I hope hes given his chance.
    Any news on other CC signings?

8. IFR33K

IFR33K Coach

Sorry mate I previously mentioned a quality back instead of the 1 or 2 players we’ve bought. I’ve also mentioned Cartwright and opacic.

9. Poupou Escobar

I agree with all of this except the final truism. Individually the edge players are key to the team's defence, and the wingers are major contributors to gaining momentum through the middle. And finally, the kicking game plays a significant role in which team gets the most ball.

10. Poupou Escobar

We could've signed Opacic and Oldfield for about that much. In fact, we probably did.

11. strider

strider Post Whore

Cartright is on pretty much minimum salary ... we already have 2 backs on that sort of money Opacic and Oldfella

Should we have gotten another back of similar standing instead of cartwright?

12. strider

strider Post Whore

FFS

13. Noise

Noise Coach

Opacic for State of Origin? :joy:

14. Joshuatheeel

Joshuatheeel Moderator Staff Member

but that wouldn’t work, as we would still need to add players to the squad.

Let’s say Cartwright signed for $120k Opacic $150k, for a total of $270k. If you do what you suggest and not sign those 2, you still need to add 2 players to squad.

So say you sign one player on the minimum contract of $110k leaving you only $160k for the other player. What back wouId you get the $160k?

Poupou Escobar likes this.
  15. hindy111

hindy111 Immortal

He would be hopeless and it would stunt his development in the halves.

16. hindy111

hindy111 Immortal

Bryce costs 120k. What decent centre would you get for that? Most likely Oldfield. Anyone decent would want 500k+ We will have about 1.2 to spend once and MJ, Fergo and Sivo off contract. Could snag 2 x quality players and use Dunster on one Wing with Blake.

17. hindy111

hindy111 Immortal

I've never even Oldfield. But Mik who watches heaps reckons he is underrated and about the best back up you could have. And can do a solid job if need to play.
    He reckons Bryce is a bust and is cooked.

Gazzamatta likes this.
  18. Poupou Escobar

No chance. But also, the following non-Origin playing centres have won premierships in the last decade:

Olam
    Scott
    Leutele
    Linnett
    Auva'a
    Kenny-Dowall

Opacic is surely as good as a couple of them.

Glenneel and Gazzamatta like this.
  19. 84 Baby

84 Baby Coach

Then you, sir, simply haven’t lived.

Barry O'Speedwagon and strider like this.
  20. IFR33K

IFR33K Coach

I mentioned two players. Only in that instance I mentioned Cartwright alone. I just really think we’re going to be really lacking in the outside backs.