What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Well, yes. But in fairness I think even BA thought Hayne was a cert and Foran had most of us fooled too. I even thought that Hayne would be a better prospect in our team with Foran there to provide the leadership. :eek:
Brad didn't want Jarryd and Foran fooled most when he came, but after his first incident every man and his dog knew it was all over.
Lets hope Semi re-signs but if he doesn't we will be fine without him.

Gronk

Staff member
I'm sure Brad would've had Jarryd on Brad's terms, not on Jarryd's.
And you're right, we will be ok without Semi if he goes, but i'll hate watching him play for another team especially if it's the Broncos. Every. Effen. Friday. Night.

I think BA is moving towards the Sharks / Raiders model of having a squad of good to very good players and side stepping the trend to have highly paid marquee players.

If that means that Semi has to go, then I am sure we will fill the void with a competent replacement.

Pazza

First Grade
Didn't the raiders sign JNR to money that would make most clubs weak at the knees?

I think there has to be a mix of marquee, solid first graders, talented young juniors and reclamation projects. The trick is to get the balance right.

If you can keep hitting on the last two it will make your cap position easier to maximise the first two.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Gee that's news to me. The old Board embezzled club funds as well ? There you go.
Ummm giving themselves payrises even after the members said no. Junkets over to Seattle and Las Vegas???
Appointing life long friends to cushy jobs...

Yeah the poor buggers got nothing out of it at all. Not suprised you continue to defend your mates.

forward pass

Coach
If that means that Semi has to go, then I am sure we will fill the void with a competent replacement.

Yeah some clubs and fans are happy to accept second best. We are one of those clubs. I personally will hit the f**king roof if Semi goes. This club has a complete inability to hold on to top quality players. They come and they go and we generally don't fight too hard to change that. Every top quality player we develop or bring to the joint pisses off under all sorts of circumstances. Hayne, Lyon, Foran, Semi - all internationals - in fact have we ever managed to keep an international quality player besides Hindmarsh in the last 20 years?

And before everyone starts with the Salary cap or health issues excuse - how many other clubs do you see this sort of continual exodus? None. We are generally shithouse at keeping a roster together.

Gronk

Staff member
Ummm giving themselves payrises even after the members said no. Junkets over to Seattle and Las Vegas???
Appointing life long friends to cushy jobs...

Yeah the poor buggers got nothing out of it at all. Not suprised you continue to defend your mates.

I think the suggestion was that they were "lining their pockets".

IIRC the board were getting like $25k each which is really peanuts.

But hey, don't let me spoil your story.

Not my mates BTW. More than happy with Mad Max rather than the inbreds we've had for the past 15+ years.

Gronk

Staff member
Yeah some clubs and fans are happy to accept second best. We are one of those clubs. I personally will hit the f**king roof if Semi goes. This club has a complete inability to hold on to top quality players. They come and they go and we generally don't fight too hard to change that. Every top quality player we develop or bring to the joint pisses off under all sorts of circumstances. Hayne, Lyon, Foran, Semi - all internationals - in fact have we ever managed to keep an international quality player besides Hindmarsh in the last 20 years?

And before everyone starts with the Salary cap or health issues excuse - how many other clubs do you see this sort of continual exodus? None. We are generally shithouse at keeping a roster together.

Nice rant, but I think you've lost the plot. Who have we lost ? Puddin Hayne ? Foran ? Judas ?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Didn't the raiders sign JNR to money that would make most clubs weak at the knees?

I think there has to be a mix of marquee, solid first graders, talented young juniors and reclamation projects. The trick is to get the balance right.

If you can keep hitting on the last two it will make your cap position easier to maximise the first two.
Obviously you don't want 25 blokes all earning the same amount. It would mean you best players aren't good enough to make a difference and at full strength you would have about a third of your cap in reserve grade. But there's a big difference between paying your best player(s) 10 % of your salary cap and paying them 20%. I'd say the latter describes our situation in the final half decade that Hayne was at the club. Meanwhile the figures reported for Norman place him at about 10% of our cap next year (including $700k worth of capped MPA and MVA). Clubs could probably afford three guys that good without losing quality through the rest of the squad.

Bazal

Post Whore

I'm sorry, but what an absolute, unmitigated load of crap.

Should we pay him a million bucks a year? Should we match French Rugby money for a bloke who, as fantastic as he is, is ulimately just a winger? What if Semi doesn't want to be here? It's a classic Parramatta fan mentality, you simply don't believe that there are other reasons for a player to leave besides the club somehow not doing enough to keep them. Hayne? Walked out. Jamie Lyon...seriously? If Semi goes, he goes. Obviously we'd much rather keep him bu you can't destroy the roster to do so and you can't keep a bloke who doesn't want to be here. No amount of whining will make that the clubs fault.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

When you follow the rules and other clubs don't it's easy to overspend on keeping a crowd favourite in the face of poaching from rivals. They are able to reduce their expenditure inside the cap by offering inducements outside it. You get diminishing returns on the most expensive players to the point where you're better off not keeping them.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I think the suggestion was that they were "lining their pockets".

IIRC the board were getting like $25k each which is really peanuts.

But hey, don't let me spoil your story.

Not my mates BTW. More than happy with Mad Max rather than the inbreds we've had for the past 15+ years.
Peanuts??? Well it used to be an honorarium and was 10k before they raised it to 25k. After the members denied the Payrise they went ahead anyway. And nepotism is fine is it as long as it's the team you have been supporting. No they are not your mates but you still go out of your way to defend them after all that has happened???

Max did more in 3 weeks then those gimps did in 3 years.

hindy111

Post Whore

Its like making a cake

Gronk

Staff member
Peanuts??? Well it used to be an honorarium and was 10k before they raised it to 25k. After the members denied the Payrise they went ahead anyway. And nepotism is fine is it as long as it's the team you have been supporting. No they are not your mates but you still go out of your way to defend them after all that has happened???

Yes peanuts. I'm not defending them. Try as you will to have me on their side.
wank.gif

I was merely correcting the assertion that they were lining their pockets.

Merkins that sit on committees for sporting organisations and non profits deserve praise for the time they put in and the pittance honorariums do little tor repay the time they put in for their community.

Accordingly I will continue to support our Board receiving honorariums. They are hardly riding the gravy train.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Yes peanuts. I'm not defending them. Try as you will to have me on their side.
wank.gif

I was merely correcting the assertion that they were lining their pockets.

Merkins that sit on committees for sporting organisations and non profits deserve praise for the time they put in and the pittance honorariums do little tor repay the time they put in for their community.

Accordingly I will continue to support our Board receiving honorariums. They are hardly riding the gravy train.
That emoticon sums you up too a tee.

Plumber rangers for lyf!!!!

Last edited:

hindy111

Post Whore
Out of curiosity - What or how do you pay for an 80 minute hooker? Everyone seems to want an 80min hooker.

El dicknuts I am sure you can answer this one?

emjaycee

Coach

Not taking sides but the pay rise didn't happen as clearly as you have reported.

The PLC membership voted against a pay rise for the PLC Directors in May 2014 which proposed to take the honorarium payment from $10k per director to $20k per director (and $60k for the Chairman) - a overall increase of $110k. At no point did the PLC Directors then approve themselves a pay rise after this was vetoed by members.
12 months later, the PNRL P/L Directors introduced for the first time an Honorarium being $15k for the Chairman and $10k for each Director - a total of $75k. There is no members of the PNRL P/L save the PLC itself so there wasn't a vote except at the Board Meeting.

Currently, the total amount paid to Directors in honorariums for being Directors of both PLC and PNRL is $135k although with less Directors this year, this will max out a lot less.

FYI - the Bulldogs Rugby League Club Directors get $144k shared + 9.5% Super payment.
Source