What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
But his freakishness could also mean you win a gf instead of losing one when u have an ordinary some
His cost could also mean you don't have enough quality closer to the middle of the field to even make the finals. It's all opportunity cost. And the point is that the team overall is more important than individual players.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
How do you factor in the go forward Semi provides to our side ? Does his involvement/go forward allow us to have cheapie middle forwards?

Bazal

Post Whore
How do you factor in the go forward Semi provides to our side ? Does his involvement/go forward allow us to have cheapie middle forwards?

No. Most of his metres are kick returns, early runs after kicks, or metres on the end of a shift. Or line breaks, he makes a lot of them too. He doesn't do the work of a middle forward.

Anyway, I don't think any of our props are that pricey next season tbh, we've done very well in that regard and that's why it's so important to keep the balance of salaries right. I reckon we have a very good pack next year, and there are a lot of guys other sides would love to have in that mix

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
His go-forward coming out of our end lets us carry a small fullback, and obviously the other winger doesn't need to be as good at the heavy carries. But middle forwards aren't really involved in the first few runs after a kick anyway. This is normally the domain of the back three. Maybe a hard working centre here and there. Most of our middle forwards are in the team for their defence. They'll make a few runs to compress the opposition but we seem to work to an edge forward for that key hit up (usually the right) to set up a long shift the other way (so usually the left). The place where we really miss those big attacking middle forwards is close to the opposition tryline, and in that situation the wingers are out wide hoping to get one-on-one with their opponent.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
....and he puts more bums on seats than just about any other player in the game. How much is that worth?
Depends how much of your marketing budget should be included under the cap. But remember every marketing dollar under the cap pushes out a dollar's worth of playing talent.

Avenger

Immortal
First time we have had a balanced squad in years. We have rid ourselves of our former garbage administration with one of the best credentialed CEO's about to join and people think we will blow the cap over Semi re-signing.

It won't happen. I reckon he will stay for about $500k plus third party which in a few years will be considered a bargain for the best winger in the game.

Last edited:

The Colonel

Immortal
....and he puts more bums on seats than just about any other player in the game. How much is that worth?

Ask Newcastle how many bums Akuila Uate was putting on seats and whether it was worth the money he was being paid......

Uate was at one stage in the Radradra class and spent a good part of the past two seasons in reserves. Was on generous money too. Admittedly the Knights have other cap issues besides Uate but he is one of the reasons for their roster being the way it is.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I reckon he's worth $500k, maybe more. If he leaves it will be for money, nothing surer, and is anyone able to pay more outside the cap than the Broncos? Not us I reckon.

Bazal

Post Whore
I don't think he'll blow the cap, because I don't think we're that stupid any more. My point with FP is about him basically saying the club will have failed if we don't retain him at any and all costs.

There is definitely a chance that he will want too much money, and we shouldn't make the mistakes we made with Jarryd Hayne and weaken the side to keep one player. Especially a winger.

Avenger

Immortal
I've asked around and the people I know reckon the Ben Hunt stuff is just that - rumour. The leaks however have stopped and my mate has heard nothing which is a good thing I reckon.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Before this season I would of jumped up and down and blown a gasket if we had of lost Semi, but we will offer him a fair deal and something which won't risk the balance of the side. I love watching Semi play he is an amazing player but at the end of this day he's just one player. This season has shown as long as we have 17 fit players on the field we will be competitive no matter who we are playing. If Semi wants to go to the highest bidder good luck to him. We have moved on from Hayne we can also move on the Semi.

Gronk

Staff member
First time we have had a balanced squad in years. We have rid ourselves of our former garbage administration with one of the best credentialed CEO's about to join and people think we will blow the cap over Semi re-signing.

It won't happen. I reckon he will stay for about $500k plus third party which in a few years will be considered a bargain for the best winger in the game.

Semi should be talking to his Manager and getting that Fiji Airlines Ambassador gig off Hasbeen Hayne.

Gronk

Staff member
Before this season I would of jumped up and down and blown a gasket if we had of lost Semi, but we will offer him a fair deal and something which won't risk the balance of the side. I love watching Semi play he is an amazing player but at the end of this day he's just one player. This season has shown as long as we have 17 fit players on the field we will be competitive no matter who we are playing. If Semi wants to go to the highest bidder good luck to him. We have moved on from Hayne we can also move on the Semi.

Agree, I won't be slitting your wrists over Semi either.

The problem is that our 500k is not equivalent to a broncos 500k.
If we hadn't just been done for cheating the cap im sure we'd be able to give Semi some under the table too, but theres nobody who Semi trusts like Nolan, theres enough trust there to get a deal done and keep it under wraps.
Of course the broncos are denying it, because they don't want to be seen breaking the rules, the old chestnut that Wayne is helping Semi with personal issues says it all.
Anybody notice plenty of ex broncos giving their 2c, Tallis and Sailor stating he would be a perfect fit, its all on for sure and has been on all year.
Lets hope somehow we can keep him, with Nolan and Bennett onboard thats a huge worry.

Latest posts