What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

SneakyEel

Juniors
It's easier to remember the old Manu of the last few seasons as it is most fresh.
He was also in a side where the other forwards where not as good.
Matterson never put a MOM performance. He played in a top 4 side with an excellent pack. Nobody looks bad when your winning.
If last season was as good as Matto can give I wouldnt care if he left a whole lot. I'd rather chase Crighton from the Roosters or find a 2nd rower who constantly worries the defense.
Maybe Tuponioua?

IFR33K

Coach
Matterson has been solid here, and I can only judge him on his performances in eels colours. Ma’u was a real goer. Had aggression in both attack and defense, and was able to create opportunities thru a step or offload. A very underrated player. And if we’re comparing them, why not compare their salaries. I doubt Ma’u earned the $$$ matto is on.

Gronk

Staff member
Matto was equal third top offloader in the comp in 2020. No a bad little stat if you think he wasn't much of a contributor.
Yeah I heard on a random podcast that he is a gun in the fantasy league thingos.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
People here really think Ma’u was a better player than Matterson? Matterson is on the verge of origin selection (has been 18th man) and with all respect to Ma’u if he was eligible I don’t think he would have come close.
I agree Matterson is a better player overall, but with his footwork Ma'u was more dangerous on any given play.

hindy111

Post Whore
Matterson reminds me of a Issiah Yeo clone. He has better balls skills and kicking game. But Yeo is more likely to break the line.
And what position does he play best? LOCK.

If we are able to fix Bryce I reckon Matto shifts to the middle. Brown off the bench. All of a sudden you have Papalli,Kafusi,Brown,Niakuore off the bench. That is some serious punch/impact.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Matterson reminds me of a Issiah Yeo clone. He has better balls skills and kicking game. But Yeo is more likely to break the line.
And what position does he play best? LOCK.

no, Matterson is more likely to break the line....

for 2020:

Yeo averaged per game 8.75 m per run / 1.7 tackle breaks (at 16 runs / 140 m )

Matterson averaged per 9.6 m per run / 2 TB ( 13 runs / 125 m)

Matterson is more productive

Additionally in 2019 where Matterson played more games are lock he averaged 1.5 TB 9.35 m per run. So better stats playing edge.

Finally why wouId you want to move Matterson to the middle? I rather he uses less energy defending which he will have to do more off in the middle. And save that energy to use his skill set for attacking...

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
no, Matterson is more likely to break the line....

for 2020:

Yeo averaged per game 8.75 m per run / 1.7 tackle breaks (at 16 runs / 140 m )

Matterson averaged per 9.6 m per run / 2 TB ( 13 runs / 125 m)

Additionally in 2019 where Matterson played more games are lock he averaged 1.5 TB 9.35 m per run. So better stats playing edge.
Yep. Nobody attacks better in the middle, because there are more defenders filling the space and none of them are halfbacks. Yeo has a solid running game but Kikau and Martin are genuine tackle breakers, which is why they're on the edges.

The only forwards who are better in the middle are ones with a high defensive work rate, because their work rate is somewhat wasted on the edge. Luckily for us, Matterson gets plenty of work because our right edge is heavily targeted.

The other reason to put a dangerous attacking forward in the middle (rather than out wide) is because he is huge and cumbersome and fullbacks and halves would have a field day against him one-on-one, like when they tried to make Taumalolo an edge forward early in his career.