What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Eelementary

Post Whore
I just do not understand it. Like sometimes they let it go on the first or 2nd. Then give it on the 4th. This is a huge disadvantage. While other sides I feel purposely hold sides down on the 1st knowing that is the one that sets the tempo as their forward back all sets their line. What is an extra tackle worth if you can slow them down for 5 seconds and have the line set. You gain ascendency.
A penalty and a 40mtrs gain via a kick for touch would be far better like it used to be.

I agree, mate.

84 Baby

Referee
I just do not understand it. Like sometimes they let it go on the first or 2nd. Then give it on the 4th. This is a huge disadvantage. While other sides I feel purposely hold sides down on the 1st knowing that is the one that sets the tempo as their forward back all sets their line. What is an extra tackle worth if you can slow them down for 5 seconds and have the line set. You gain ascendency.
A penalty and a 40mtrs gain via a kick for touch would be far better like it used to be.
I think bring back 5 minute sin bin. Multiple infringements close together and someone sits. Might make refs more inclined to use it

Bandwagon

Staff member

The referees have the discretion to give a penalty still, they just choose not to.

On the first is where they should be using that discretion, especially with teams that are cynically giving away the six again to set their line.

Incorrect

Coach
The referees have the discretion to give a penalty still, they just choose not to.

And I have this issue with the discretionary nature of it - what if it's 1 point the difference in the GF ( or any game for that matter) in the last 40 seconds and the team down by 1 has the ball 45 out from the try line, and the defending team, up by 1 point, infringe in the ruck... And the ref just signals 6 to go, per HIS discretion... But a penalty for a breach of rules could give the chance for a penalty goal attempt and the win. Or the reverse... Penalty given and team slots a goal to win and the team that infringed turn around and say "that's been 6 again all year Sir, never a penalty!"

So much potential to f**k teams over. We're just lucky most games are so lopsided at the moment that it doesn't matter

Bandwagon

Staff member
And I have this issue with the discretionary nature of it - what if it's 1 point the difference in the GF ( or any game for that matter) in the last 40 seconds and the team down by 1 has the ball 45 out from the try line, and the defending team, up by 1 point, infringe in the ruck... And the ref just signals 6 to go, per HIS discretion... But a penalty for a breach of rules could give the chance for a penalty goal attempt and the win. Or the reverse... Penalty given and team slots a goal to win and the team that infringed turn around and say "that's been 6 again all year Sir, never a penalty!"

So much potential to f**k teams over. We're just lucky most games are so lopsided at the moment that it doesn't matter

That's probably why they don't use their discretion, and just consistently rule restart.

Because it opens it up to this kind of criticism.

In a perfect world they would use their discretion well, and merkins would understand that nuance is a thing, and rarely are two situations alike.

But that aint never gonna be a thing, like ever.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Emu Greig got picked ahead of him in the NRL 21 so nuff said really.
I don't think he is top 30. Was more thinking for next year if we lose nrown and or matto as a cheap replacement in the roster, allowing us to throw more money at the backline considering we can replace nrown and or matto with Marata and or papa.

Suitman

Post Whore
On the first is where they should be using that discretion, especially with teams that are cynically giving away the six again to set their line.

Yep. It appears that every rule change that is made to improve the game is increasingly being abused by clubs to find a new way around them. The NRL is constantly chasing its tail. I understand that teams are always looking for an advantage, but geez.
I blame Melbourne.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Yep. It appears that every rule change that is made to improve the game is increasingly being abused by clubs to find a new way around them. The NRL is constantly chasing its tail. I understand that teams are always looking for an advantage, but geez.
I blame Melbourne.

I think the fact is that interpretation around the ruck will always be a problem, because the ruck is so important, and interpretation is far to subjective.

Suitman

Post Whore
I think the fact is that interpretation around the ruck will always be a problem, because the ruck is so important, and interpretation is far to subjective.

Agreed, the inconsistencies between decisions from different refs creates more confusion. Something that coaches will always take advantage of.

Latest posts