What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

eels_fan

First Grade
So in the 7 full seasons BA has coached us (not including this year as we haven’t finished it yet) - 9 different teams have made the prelim finals.

Storm - 6
Roosters - 5
Souths - 4
Cowboys - 3
Raiders - 3
Panthers - 2
Broncos - 2
Sharks - 2
Bulldogs - 1

the teams who haven’t made the prelims in that time frame have used this many coaches in 8 years (including interim coaches)

Eels - 1
Manly - 3
Dragons - 4
Tigers - 5
Titans - 5
Knights - 5
Warriors - 5

only 1 of these teams has any chance of moving into the prelim group this season (manly). The remaining 6 teams are well off moving into the group (you could probably say we would be the closest in terms of team ability).

Does anyone believe a change of coach moves us up? If not, then does the financial ramifications make it a stupid decision to pay BA out? Aside from us and manly those 5 clubs have lost shit loads of money paying out contracts only to still be in the same situation and not looking like getting out of it soon

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Sterling doesn't have any skin in the game. Bennett and Hasler both praised our effort. Open your eyes. Or your ears. Your eyes can get f**ked.
Gus has no skin in the game either??? Have you spoken to Smithy yet about Bea??? I’m keen to know his thoughts.

Last edited:

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
This is why I find the rumours about Flanno hard to believe. We have a risk averse board, at least to this point.
That is exactly why I see any coaching rumours as people throwing darts hoping they look like they have inside info…

flanagan may be the best option and our next coach, but I doubt the board is going to sack a coach and appoint a new one without the correct due process……..which hasn’t started yet!!

TheRam

Coach
f**k off. You have zero f**king proof of this. Just dumb speculation you've plucked out of your dopey arse.

Proof is in results mate and our results show we don't deal with losses very well and when they get chronic like they are now we fall off a cliff. If nothing changes we don't have a Turbo to get us out of this crap, so there is no one for the group to look to inspire them to get out of this.

Like I said, if they don't remove him, we will regress and it will get worse next year.

Remember, we need quality speed in our team, if this handbrake of a coach is left in charge, who do you think we will be able to recruit that will give us the quality and speed that we need? In other words what quality players, unless we pay overs, will want to come and be part of this?

Like I said, the longer this guy stays the longer it will take to turn us around again. The team will only get worse, not better.

Also I heard this morning that the board are looking at Paul Green. If that happens, we will flounder further. The guy has lost a lot of shine from his premiership winning days and would be a sideways step at best in my opinion. Remember, he won that premiership with a future immortal in the team. Then made a GF with Michael Morgan playing like an immortal for half a season and Jason T at his rampaging best. We don't have that calibre of player in our team. He is not very well liked by many players either and is considered abrasive and arrogant. Remember he also had issues with Thurston too. He is a QLDer that wants to live in QLD. So why would we want someone like him when there is a Parra man waiting in the wings that won a Premiership with a quality side but no best in the worlds or immortals in sight. A man that could get the best out of average, old and great players to play their career best football under him.

I know who I would rather have and it isn't PG. If we do that I won't be holding my breath for a GF anytime soon and it will be more seasons lost again.

Last edited:

Glenneel

Bench
I would sack the coach right now this Monday morning and appoint Flanno immediately.

I mean we all know that the season is over for this playing group as things stand, so why not do something that may or may not reap some positive results.

We all know that we will just keep crashing and burning from here on in. BA and his ideas have now officially been rendered useless and ineffective going forward. So what's the point in continuing on with him at the helm? It is bloody hard getting to where we have and in the top 8, so why just give that away for another season without a fight if possible?

It would allow us to maybe perform a little better in the semis and show some fight. That experience alone is worth money in the bank down the track for future seasons. It wouldn't cost much more at all boning BA now and appointing Flanno immediately instead of waiting till the end of the season. It also wouldn't affect contract signings adversely and actually may improve them somewhat after our performances of late. I'm sure players are beginning to have doubts about BA now both in and outside the club.

Is this a radical reaction, yeah sure, but what is the alternative? Let him ride it out till the bitter end, why? He is now in a total meltdown period at the club. We need to save not only our season, but the psychological damage it is doing to the players themselves and their careers. If this keeps going and it will, some of these players will never recover to where they were or what their full potential could have been and a lot of them are still on our books. Also it isn't that easy or cheap trying to bring in quality, especially if the club is on the nose all of a sudden.

This is not an overreaction to just one game, but a reaction to when you know you have early cancer and if you react swiftly and decisively, you have a good chance to save the host without too much damage. We have seen this movie before and we know how it ends if we do nothing. I say, lets try and salvage something from THIS season and not wait for another offseason to start again. A knew voice in the dressing room might be enough to reignite this listless lot that have obviously run out of steam under the current head coach.

Not saying that we will win it if we make this change now, but we may just halt the rot and stop embarrassing ourselves to this level. Right now we are a laughing stock to not only the fans of RL, but to sponsors and all the players within the game. This is not a good thing for our club on many levels. Why wait when there is another good option. We all know that BA is cooked. Lets just make it official now.
We have Ryan Carr as reserve grade coach so replace BA with him in the interim while we look at new coaching alternatives.

Glenneel

Bench
Proof is in results mate and our results show we don't deal with losses very well and when they get chronic like they are now we fall off a cliff. If nothing changes we don't have a Turbo to get us out of this crap, so there is no one for the group to look to inspire them to get out of this.

Like I said, if they don't remove him, we will regress and it will get worse next year.

Remember, we need quality speed in our team, if this handbrake of a coach is left in charge, who do you think we will be able to recruit that will give us the quality and speed that we need? In other words what quality players, unless we pay overs, will want to come and be part of this?

Like I said, the longer this guy stays the longer it will take to turn us around again. The team will only get worse, not better.

Also I heard this morning that the board are looking at Paul Green. If that happens, we will flounder further. The guy has lost a lot of shine from his premiership winning days and would be a sideways step at best in my opinion. Remember, he won that premiership with a future immortal in the team. Then made a GF with Michael Morgan playing like an immortal for half a season and Jason T at his rampaging best. We don't have that calibre of player in our team. He is not very well liked by many players either and is considered abrasive and arrogant. Remember he also had issues with Thurston too. He is a QLDer that wants to live in QLD. So why would we want someone like him when there is a Parra man waiting in the wings that won a Premiership with a quality side but no best in the worlds or immortals in sight. A man that could get the best out of average, old and great players to play their career best football under him.

I know who I would rather have and it isn't PG. If we do that I won't be holding my breath for a GF anytime soon and it will be more seasons lost again.
Andrew Fifita was a world beater back then.

TheRam

Coach
We have Ryan Carr as reserve grade coach so replace BA with him in the interim while we look at new coaching alternatives.

Agreed if that is what they saw fit to do. I on the other hand would replace him with Flanno now and start the train rolling from this week. Why wait? Anyone with half a brain can see we are done.

Would anyone be surprised or shocked if we lost against the Cowboys this week? Don't get me wrong I expect this game to be our only victory left for this season and the only one left that we have a realistic chance of winning, but I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if we lost though, would you?

TheRam

Coach
Andrew Fifita was a world beater back then.

To true, but RCG and Junior at their best are world beaters too and collectively bring a similar output to what Fifita did. The point though is that Flanno is a players coach that can bring out the best in all levels of ability that players have. He doesn't just rely on the worlds best or immortals to get his teams firing. He builds them from the ground up and turns many into stars and they love him for it. That is the type of coach I rather have then a PG type that is reliant on superstars and has a reputation of being prickly and arrogant and can turn players off.

murraymob

Coach
The problem in the current covid financial situation is no club can afford to pay out coaches you are stuck with your coach unless Hindy wants to step up for a few beers and hot dogs as pay

hineyrulz

Post Whore
The problem in the current covid financial situation is no club can afford to pay out coaches you are stuck with your coach unless Hindy wants to step up for a few beers and hot dogs as pay
And what about the money it could cost the club not replacing him??? Memberships just for starters, let alone sponsorships we all know they don’t like throwing money at *Loosers!!

Would you have been happy to see Griffen see out his contract??? I doubt your club would be where it is now if they hadn’t made that decision.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
one minute he says don’t believe what BA says to the media, next minute he’s he’s taking what two rival coaches have said as gospel.

yeah nah
You poor dope. I already said those two rival coaches were telling fibs. Sterlo is the one to believe (assuming he's correct) because he has nothing to gain by lying. He has no skin in the game.

The exception would be to say that Sterlo, being in rugby league media, gains from increased drama around our club, but that's not really his style.

Last edited:

Latest posts