What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gazzamatta

Coach
Think of it as aggression, but without all the foul play connotations that go with aggression in rugby league. It's about winning the ruck in attack and especially in defence, packaged in mantra that's easy for players to remember or write on their wrist tape.
*Kane Evans.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Of course locking up Papa is the goal…..but it will take $110k under the cap to promote Rodwell to the top 30, the minimum contract. So it doesn’t free up $140k….

Katoa shit? Yeah not a regular NRL player but he is a better dummy half then Stone……and is the same age as Lussick but with 65 or so more NRL games……so yeah I wouId rather sign another hooker (we saw what happened last year) just in case then promoting a middle when we already have the position covered…..I reckon if last year happens again you will be blowing up deluxe at BA for going into the season with 2 hookers….

Hoy has already played double the games Will Smith had at the same age, so is potentially a utility player for the squad….

another those players are just examples to show there are players a available to add to squad that could provide some depth…
Well it will be interesting to see what the club does from here, all I know it will be very exciting!!

hindy111

Post Whore
We have rewarded him by giving him a development contract…..

without even checking Katoa / Hoy are both still not signed. They may be below average or never play NRL again, but both provide depth in positions other then middle….

Katoa gives a 3rd hooker option with NRL experience, which we all agree is needed after last year.

Hoy, provides depth in the spine with potential to be a average NRL player and potentially take a Will Smith role….

Someone mentioned B.Hands from Penrith. Real potential and asking guys there he was inkine for a call up but coronavirus haunted his progress.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
What cheapie?? As I said he’d only be upgraded to minimum wage so what’s a better option out there than Rodwell?? I’d rather reward a bloke who has done the hard yards at the club and deserves a chance. The only players left want overs, are shit or absolute drop kicks like Curtis Scott.
Before going off half cocked and upgrading a bloke we don't yet need on the field, let's wait until March if we have to and see who appears on the market. If there's nobody suitable for what we want to pay then we upgrade Rodwell.

crocodile

Bench
If he had support runners either side of him he'd could use his skills better but by chasing the collision, which I honestly don't understand the concept, his skills are limited. Also noticed as the season went on Papa's offloading diminished, so are these skills being coached out of them? Why wouldn't we adopt a game plan to play to the skills the players possess?
Not only Papa and Matto's offloads but so did Paulo's and Brown's

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
At a glance I agree with you, but you have to remember the Penisini upgrade last offseason. I was saying the same thing “why upgrade him if you’ve already got him contracted when he’s unlikely to get a game” but by end of year, he’s a definite starter with bright future and he’s contracted through 2023 on what hopefully proves to be unders. So yeah if we think Rodwell has a long term future, especially if we think it can pay dividends in short term, then I’ve come around to upgrading the development players instead
Penisini was a teenager physically dominating in preseason training. The upgrade/extension was to stop other clubs from poaching him. If we were worried about losing Rodwell we would also upgrade/extend him. As it stands he is already free to negotiate for 2023.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
lol Katoa, as I said shit.

surely the goal is to wrap up Papa?? It will only take another 60k to upgrade Rodwell onto minimum wage. And if Hipgrave was on 200k it frees up 140k cap space for Papa or anyone else we are looking to extend that we can front load. Instead you would rather spend 120k plus on someone like Katoa or Hoy??
Depends if we have enough depth for 2023. We still have some positions to fill, especially in the spine. Just because you can give minimum salary to a park footballer doesn't mean you should. The best third hooker option might cost us $150k. If the alternative is giving minimum salary to some Flegg graduate nowhere near ready for first grade, we're f**ked if we have to actually play him. It would be smarter to pay more than the minimum for a player who is worth it than to pay minimum salary for a player who isn't even worth half of that.

84 Baby

Referee
Penisini was a teenager physically dominating in preseason training. The upgrade/extension was to stop other clubs from poaching him. If we were worried about losing Rodwell we would also upgrade/extend him. As it stands he is already free to negotiate for 2023.
Thanks…

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No need to thank me, in fact I should be thanking you. When I quote a post it's just to provide context to my own comment, which is for everyone. This enhances (or maybe just prolongs) the public discussion. If I was actually just replying to you I would send a DM.

Latest posts