What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

eels_fan

First Grade
Imagine Keegan would have been on around $200k.

use it to upgrade ice for 2022 effectively front loading some of his deal

Incorrect

Coach
So who is going to get Keegans money off the cap.

Give it to papali'i instead just to shit Ayoub off even more
We should ditch the Curtis Scott experiment and then add that money to what Keegan has freed up and put that on top of Gutho's offer and see if it's enough to entice Ponga.

Imagine if we re-signed Paulo and Rheed next week, then pulled Gutho's offer and announced Ponga for 2023.... Ayoub and Gutho would probably have an aneurysm!! Gutho would probably end up playing out his career at Newie !!

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
So who is going to get Keegans money off the cap.

Give it to papali'i instead just to shit Ayoub off even more

potentially an option, but KP was probably only on $150-200k and his position in the squad needs to be replaced with a player who has to be on at least the minimum $110k or so.

TheRam

Coach
That Joey manu must be a nice guy taking unders to stay……

He was never going to the market. That nice guy visit by Robinson to the hospital made certain of it and clinched it.

I wonder if we can pay Latrell Mitchell to come around and smack all our off contract players in the head and then baldy can go visit them in the hospital and pull all-nighters with the contracts in his back pocket?

Guaranteed we sign half the squad for half their collective value. Winner winner chicken dinner my friends. Powerhouse!!!

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
potentially an option, but KP was probably only on $150-200k and his position in the squad needs to be replaced with a player who has to be on at least the minimum $110k or so.
We don't have to replace is position straight away though so we can spend his money and then bring in one of the development players (Rodwell?) once the recruitment dust settles.

Glenneel

Bench
Because he isn't used to his strengths. What do you expect.
If he had support runners either side of him he'd could use his skills better but by chasing the collision, which I honestly don't understand the concept, his skills are limited. Also noticed as the season went on Papa's offloading diminished, so are these skills being coached out of them? Why wouldn't we adopt a game plan to play to the skills the players possess?

yy_cheng

Coach
If he had support runners either side of him he'd could use his skills better but by chasing the collision, which I honestly don't understand the concept, his skills are limited. Also noticed as the season went on Papa's offloading diminished, so are these skills being coached out of them? Why wouldn't we adopt a game plan to play to the skills the players possess?
Not just Papa's but Jnr as well.

I reckon Bushy put the players in 2 minds about whether they should offload or not so they chose to hold on to the ball.

There are so many plays we did but never repeated... one was an old run around from Reed and Jnr right on the line... another involved Matto.

We just don't use them often enough but rather go for the block play.

yy_cheng

Coach
Matterson, in my opinion, is an elite level edge forward who has heaps of skills. I reckon he could play centre just as well as (or probably better than) Marata. The thing is he has been coached to fit in with our game plan - which means less flair and more power running straight into the opposition. He does it well, but most of his talent is wasted. But he's my favourite Eels player, so I could be a tad biased.
I don't dislike Matto. he is just not suited for the style BA has us playing.
So we're paying for skills he is not using. TBH, i liked him in the middle in one of the games late in the year he played. He should really play the NRown role in our team or rotate it between NRown and Matto

For those risky stuff, he sticks Carty on instead.

Gronk

Staff member
So does a medical retirement at the start of a contract year (1/11/2021 to 31/10/2022) mean that he gets paid out ? What does this mean for our cap ?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
We don't have to replace is position straight away though so we can spend his money and then bring in one of the development players (Rodwell?) once the recruitment dust settles.
But we wouId still need to pay Rodwell a minimum contract (to be promoted to the top 30) which wouId be half or so of Hipgrave’s contract.

And we need I think it’s 29 players (we have 26 now confirmed) in our top 30 by March.

Addititionally considering Rodwell is already contracted, we are probably better to see what cheapies are available to “strengthen” the squad.

TheRam

Coach
So does a medical retirement at the start of a contract year (1/11/2021 to 31/10/2022) mean that he gets paid out ? What does this mean for our cap ?

If it is an official medical payout and the insurance kicks in then it doesn't go on your salary cap.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Just because ffs.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Use Hipgraves cash to front load Papa and bring Rodwell into the top 30.

Simples!!
Why bring Rodwell into the squad? Rodwell is contracted…. We already have enough middle forwards to start the year, we don’t need another one. If we are that desperate because of injuries we need a middle, the NRL will let us use Rodwell…..

We are better seeing what’s available and try to pick up a cheapie in whatever position we think needs some “depth”….

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Why bring Rodwell into the squad? Rodwell is contracted…. We already have enough middle forwards to start the year, we don’t need another one. If we are that desperate because of injuries we need a middle, the NRL will let us use Rodwell…..

We are better seeing what’s available and try to pick up a cheapie in whatever position we think needs some “depth”….
Ummm what if he is better than any cheapie we can try and pick up?? What’s around this late in the piece are they even a better option than Rodwell?? And if the club does rate him he’s on a development contract he can’t play until later in the year. He was outstanding the game I saw from him and would do a job for us if needed.