What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Ummm what if he is better than any cheapie we can try and pick up?? What’s around this late in the piece are they even a better option than Rodwell?? And if the club does rate him he’s on a development contract he can’t play until later in the year. He was outstanding the game I saw from him and would do a job for us if needed.
You totally miss the point…..

You think Rodwell is going to play NRL anytime early in the season over Paulo, RCG, Nrown, papa, matterson, Maka, Kaufusi, Marata, Lane (all genuine middle options in front of him)?

Thus, why promote him to a spot when it’s unlikely he is going to play NRL anytime soon (and this is not saying the club doesn’t rate him)….

If we have injuries concerns and we need a middle, NRL will let us use a development player or we could then promote him, as we still have spots available in our top 30…

So at this stage of the season why promote him? There really is no benefit, so let’s see what’s available…and there are always players available (and they may not play NRL but they wouId provide depth in positions other then the middle).

hineyrulz

Post Whore

You think Rodwell is going to play NRL anytime early in the season over Paulo, RCG, Nrown, papa, matterson, Maka, Kaufusi, Marata, Lane (all genuine middle options in front of him)?

Thus, why promote him to a spot when it’s unlikely he is going to play NRL anytime soon (and this is not saying the club doesn’t rate him)….

If we have injuries concerns and we need a middle, NRL will let us use a development player or we could then promote him, as we still have spots available in our top 30…

So at this stage of the season why promote him? There really is no benefit, so let’s see what’s available…and there are always players available (and they may not play NRL but they wouId provide depth in positions other then the middle).
Keegan was a middle, so Rodwell is a like for like replacement that will free up some cash to throw at Papa who with Marata gone should be an absolute priority. I forgot you only get promoted or fast tracked from the development squad if you are the coaches son…….. 😉

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Keegan was a middle, so Rodwell is a like for like replacement that will free up some cash to throw at Papa who with Marata gone should be an absolute priority. I forgot you only get promoted or fast tracked from the development squad if you are the coaches son…….. 😉

Na hipgrave was an edge who could play middle…Rodwell can’t play edge so not really a like for like replacement……..

anyhow purchasing a cheapie saves the same amount of money as promoting Rodwell……

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Na hipgrave was an edge who could play middle…Rodwell can’t play edge so not really a like for like replacement……..

anyhow purchasing a cheapie saves the same amount of money as promoting Rodwell……
What cheapie?? As I said he’d only be upgraded to minimum wage so what’s a better option out there than Rodwell?? I’d rather reward a bloke who has done the hard yards at the club and deserves a chance. The only players left want overs, are shit or absolute drop kicks like Curtis Scott.

hindy111

Post Whore
Do player set some sort of insurance payout for retiring due to a concussion? Guys like Hipgrave would been only on a little more then Min contract. And I wouldn't be suprised if he never received another on for 2023 onwards. He certainly try will be paid for 2022.
I reckon guys on more then 300k+ will be less likely to retire early due to a head knock then your plodders

84 Baby

Referee

At a glance I agree with you, but you have to remember the Penisini upgrade last offseason. I was saying the same thing “why upgrade him if you’ve already got him contracted when he’s unlikely to get a game” but by end of year, he’s a definite starter with bright future and he’s contracted through 2023 on what hopefully proves to be unders. So yeah if we think Rodwell has a long term future, especially if we think it can pay dividends in short term, then I’ve come around to upgrading the development players instead

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
What cheapie?? As I said he’d only be upgraded to minimum wage so what’s a better option out there than Rodwell?? I’d rather reward a bloke who has done the hard yards at the club and deserves a chance. The only players left want overs, are shit or absolute drop kicks like Curtis Scott.
We have rewarded him by giving him a development contract…..

without even checking Katoa / Hoy are both still not signed. They may be below average or never play NRL again, but both provide depth in positions other then middle….

Katoa gives a 3rd hooker option with NRL experience, which we all agree is needed after last year.

Hoy, provides depth in the spine with potential to be a average NRL player and potentially take a Will Smith role….

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
At a glance I agree with you, but you have to remember the Penisini upgrade last offseason. I was saying the same thing “why upgrade him if you’ve already got him contracted when he’s unlikely to get a game” but by end of year, he’s a definite starter with bright future and he’s contracted through 2023 on what hopefully proves to be unders. So yeah if we think Rodwell has a long term future, especially if we think it can pay dividends in short term, then I’ve come around to upgrading the development players instead

Penisini was a “gun” junior (as shown by his form last year), so I suspect we wanted to re-sign him for a few years, so had to upgrade his contract last year as part of the deal…

Is Rodwell, a gun junior we are trying to sign up for a few years ???? Is he a risk of being signed by other clubs?

additionally, we didn’t have much depth at centre going into the year with only Blake, Opacic and Oldfield, so we needed some coverage…

do we have much depth at middle, Rodwell’s position???

finally, when did Pensini make his debut? Round 19, many weeks after development players could play (not that it mattered for Will)….

So you think Rodwell will play before round 11 or so (when development players can play)?

84 Baby

Referee
Penisini was a “gun” junior (as shown by his form last year), so I suspect we wanted to re-sign him for a few years, so had to upgrade his contract last year as part of the deal…

Is Rodwell, a gun junior we are trying to sign up for a few years ???? Is he a risk of being signed by other clubs?

additionally, we didn’t have much depth at centre going into the year with only Blake, Opacic and Oldfield, so we needed some coverage…

do we have much depth at middle, Rodwell’s position???

finally, when did Pensini make his debut? Round 19, many weeks after development players could play (not that it mattered for Will)….

So you think Rodwell will play before round 11 or so (when development players can play)?
My point is if upgrading him now means we lock him down cheaper and longer AND if we think he’ll be good enough in that timeframe then it’s an option not to be automatically disregarded just because he is already development contracted

hineyrulz

Post Whore
We have rewarded him by giving him a development contract…..

without even checking Katoa / Hoy are both still not signed. They may be below average or never play NRL again, but both provide depth in positions other then middle….

Katoa gives a 3rd hooker option with NRL experience, which we all agree is needed after last year.

Hoy, provides depth in the spine with potential to be a average NRL player and potentially take a Will Smith role….
lol Katoa, as I said shit.

surely the goal is to wrap up Papa?? It will only take another 60k to upgrade Rodwell onto minimum wage. And if Hipgrave was on 200k it frees up 140k cap space for Papa or anyone else we are looking to extend that we can front load. Instead you would rather spend 120k plus on someone like Katoa or Hoy??

84 Baby

Referee

surely the goal is to wrap up Papa?? It will only take another 60k to upgrade Rodwell onto minimum wage. And if Hipgrave was on 200k it frees up 140k cap space for Papa or anyone else we are looking to extend that we can front load. Instead you would rather spend 120k plus on someone like Katoa or Hoy??
That’s not how it works. Cash wise sure it’s only an extra $60k but on the cap it’s an extra $110k. So it’s only an additional $90k available to upgrade others

Gazzamatta

Coach
Ummm what if he is better than any cheapie we can try and pick up?? What’s around this late in the piece are they even a better option than Rodwell?? And if the club does rate him he’s on a development contract he can’t play until later in the year. He was outstanding the game I saw from him and would do a job for us if needed.
Hed only get a game if someone loses a leg mate. By the end of next year we should have all 30 contracted having played middle at some stage so he wont really be needed.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

Of course locking up Papa is the goal…..but it will take $110k under the cap to promote Rodwell to the top 30, the minimum contract. So it doesn’t free up $140k….

Katoa shit? Yeah not a regular NRL player but he is a better dummy half then Stone……and is the same age as Lussick but with 65 or so more NRL games……so yeah I wouId rather sign another hooker (we saw what happened last year) just in case then promoting a middle when we already have the position covered…..I reckon if last year happens again you will be blowing up deluxe at BA for going into the season with 2 hookers….

Hoy has already played double the games Will Smith had at the same age, so is potentially a utility player for the squad….

another those players are just examples to show there are players a available to add to squad that could provide some depth…

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
My point is if upgrading him now means we lock him down cheaper and longer AND if we think he’ll be good enough in that timeframe then it’s an option not to be automatically disregarded just because he is already development contracted

how expensive do you think Rodwell is? We could probably lock him down now for 2023 for a minimum contract if we really rate him….I doubt promoting him to the top 30 is going save any money resigning Rodwell….