What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No time to dream, avenger. Having plenty of fun reading how you guys don't care about losing IP, how we've overpaid, and how he is destined to be a second year plodder . . . Mind you, every forum is filled with bitter jealousies in these situations.
Like I said, fun to read.
Also, there's a lot to be said for accepting the reality of your footy team. You guys had more joy than us watching parra winning lately, but that was once again cruelled by the shattering repeat of semi finals failure. I watched some mates nearly crying after you lost. I found that quite rude, it's hard to repeatedly say " I told you so . . . what did you expect?" to a grown man sobbing like a lil baby.

I think good on the Tigers. They need to take risks.
And the way we snatched Moses and Matterson was dirty. Its a victory to them imo and a deserved one.

Well said, Hindy.
Losing in the finals is no big deal. Every year seven teams lose their last finals match. That's nearly half the comp. Maybe next year your club will get the chance.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It's a lot easier than many think to replace players like Papali'i and Niukore
Yep, both of them were nothing when we signed them. The benefit to us wasn't that they were in our team, but that they were in our team on less than the value of footy they were providing. Paying them what they're worth (or God forbid, paying overs) takes away that value.

We found those two and we can find two more. We would have a couple already in our squad, ready to break out. It's very exciting.

Delboy

First Grade
If this is correct, reckon we made a pretty good offer to keep him:

Appears we came back late in the piece when we realised that a genuine offer had been made. Tha can happen when you try and manage the cap by lowballing extensions. Didn’t work on Stefano and caused probs with Gutho last time.

Seems we didn’t learn much, if you at least put in a decent contract imtitially you would possibly be more successful and not look silly when forced to get close and fail.

King-Gutho94

Coach
If this is correct, reckon we made a pretty good offer to keep him:

If we were prepared to offer him that money in the end why didnt we just do it in the first place he probably would have signed straight away without even looking at the market and giving a desperate club like the tigers a chance to pounce with an offer way over our budget that we planned for.

lucablight

First Grade
Yet we have people here celebrating how smart we are for being unable to retain our best forward from this season who ended up signing at a club nobody wants to go to for slightly more money.

lucablight

First Grade
How the f**k would you know that? Not matching overs isn't lowballing. It's good cap management. Did you really think we weren't going to lose any players? Was it even going to be mathematically possible?
Yes a week 2 finals side with not many super stars shouldn’t be losing players. We’re either an underachieving week 3 or grand final team that can’t retain our star players or we’re a week 2 finals side that shouldn’t have any trouble. You can’t have it both ways.

Soto

Bench
Losing in the finals is no big deal. Every year seven teams lose their last finals match. That's nearly half the comp. Maybe next year your club will get the chance.
Honestly think Tigers will finish last next year.
Every other team that was near bottom has somewhat improved roster wise.
Without Laurie and Douehi to start the season and for a fair chunk, their 2 best attacking options will be sorely missing...
Papalii could well go from the penthouse to sh%thouse

eels_fan

First Grade
If Ice left us over $150k over 3 years then he’s a dunce. To choose $50k a year over your team mates, playing finals footy and under a coach you know you gel with is a stupid risk.

only play the tigers have is Madge being the NZ coach. Maybe he promised him a starting gig in the test team..

Tiger5150

Bench
If Ice left us over $150k over 3 years then he’s a dunce. To choose $50k a year over your team mates, playing finals footy and under a coach you know you gel with is a stupid risk.

only play the tigers have is Madge being the NZ coach. Maybe he promised him a starting gig in the test team..

I cant keep up.....did Tigers pay MASSIVE overs, or only $50K a year more?

Noise

Coach

He left for 150k a year. That’s 450k over 3 years.

Noise

Coach
Not according to TCC
Tigers $1.8m over 3
Eels $1.65m over 3
The TCT have changed their tune with an update:

Update: apparently it was 1.95 over three (650k). Eels offered to up his 2022 contract (not sure by how much) and then added two more years at 550k

Chipmunk

Coach
Completely agree. He wins our best and fairest or whatever the award was, a player on the up. His best years are ahead of him.
Understand we can't pay everyone $600k plus, and i don't see the rush to sign a contract now. If he regresses next year probably doesn't get offered anywhere near that. Will be very interesting to see how Guth, Mahoney, Jnr Paulo all play out now.
Not sure if its also been mentioned but is he going to play exclusively middle at the Tuggers? It's where he has stated he wants to play so maybe that carrott was also dangled in front of him too
Daniel Alvaro won our best and fairest 3 years ago.

Latest posts