What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Avenger

Immortal
Pou can, he loves walking down both sides of the street.

So he went to the Tigers for less than 50k a season???? Maybe he's another forward sick of chasing the collision???? Doesn't say much for us extending the Stupor Coach does it???
He obviously doesn’t mind the collision seeing he wants to play in the middle. He can go f**k f**k himself.

Avenger

Immortal
Appears we came back late in the piece when we realised that a genuine offer had been made. Tha can happen when you try and manage the cap by lowballing extensions. Didn’t work on Stefano and caused probs with Gutho last time.

Seems we didn’t learn much, if you at least put in a decent contract imtitially you would possibly be more successful and not look silly when forced to get close and fail.
No chance I’d give him $550k as the first offer. That’s just madness.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
He obviously doesn’t mind the collision seeing he wants to play in the middle. He can go f**k f**k himself.
Why because he chose to go elsewhere???? Maybe the coach and our club aren't the shit hot destination we think they are. We lost the most improved player in the whole of the NRL to Madge and the Tigers for around 50k a season. What does that say about the boards knee jerk reaction to extend a spoon winning 8 season coach that can't get us passed week 2???

Avenger

Immortal
Why because he chose to go elsewhere???? Maybe the coach and our club aren't the shit hot destination we think they are. We lost the most improved player in the whole of the NRL to Madge and the Tigers for around 50k a season. What does that say about the boards knee jerk reaction to extend a spoon winning 8 season coach that can't get us passed week 2???
Would you have matched the $650k the Tigers offered?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Would you have matched the $650k the Tigers offered?
Where in my reply did I say that?? We offered a more than fair offer, if we didn’t try and lowball him in the first place we might not have had to get even close to the Tigers offer.

My main point was that the knee jerk reaction to extend the coach hasn’t really worked has it??? Maybe the players know how limited the coach and his staff really are. The old “ FrOnT lOaD dA eFfOrT aReA’s and “ ChAsE dA cOlLiSiOn” gets you to week 2 but doesn’t really gets you to challenge with the big boys………

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I can see us buckling to the demands of Ayoub now. Can we afford to lose the other 3?
Mahoney no, other 2 yes….

obviously not our preference, keeping all 3 is preferred, but Mahoney is the least replaceable.

Other 2 can be replaced (obviously maybe not at the same standard), and are heading towards 30. Both are very good players, but reckon they have hit their peaks (and may stay at that level for the next 2-3 years). We don’t need to be paying stupid money to keep them just to “look good”….

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I can see us buckling to the demands of Ayoub now. Can we afford to lose the other 3?
The only player who is irreplaceable IMO is Mahoney the rest can get their eyes f**ked. Especially our supposed captain who has shown absolutely no leadership whatsoever throughout this whole saga. I’d be offering Mahoney 3 years and the captaincy carrot.

lucablight

First Grade
Because we have no superstars we have more cap space to devote to the rest of the top 17. Look at some of the reserve graders playing for Manly and the Roosters. Our tenth best player (for example) would be much better than theirs.

The two blokes we lost weren't eligible for Origin. They also came to us as nobodies so they would've needed the biggest upgrade for 2023.

Don't look at it by how far into the finals you went in a given year, because luck is a big factor with such a small sample of games. Look at the three year rolling win rate for the actual quality of a team. We are top five in the NRL, better than 11 other clubs. You better believe we have a good team.

This whole can't-make-it-past-week-two thing is a dumb narrative. Of course if you can get to week two you can get past week two. If you toss a coin twice and it comes up heads both times do you say it can only ever show heads?
If we had a million dollar player and we still failed you would use the excuse that we can only afford backup players because we spend too much of our cap on the million dollar player. In fact I’m certain that’s what you did when we had Jarryd Hayne post 2009. So again you can’t have it both ways. You can’t say we have no star players and when we do have an out and out super star say that we can’t win because they’re tying up our cap.
The loss of Niukore doesn’t hurt so much because he wanted to go back to New Zealand but to have a guy come over and announce himself as one of the premier forwards in the game only to see him get poached by another club really stings. How did it ever get to that position? I didn’t say we lost the guys because they were origin players. I’m saying because we barely have any origin players in the side then tying up a week 2 team shouldn’t be this problematic.
There was also alot of bad management involved in where we finished. If we hadn’t clowned around and finished 6th we could have ended up on the other side of the draw and made a better run.
Comparing a finals run to a coin toss is a poor analogy. A coin toss has a 50% chance of being heads or tails. Not all clubs have an equal chance of making the grand final.
I’m growing tired of fans and the media saying we don’t have the side to compete and then seeing us struggle to not only keep the same below elite level side but lose players from it. People need to make up their minds.

lucablight

First Grade
I don’t blame him. We were basically stealing from him with the output he was giving us at 150k. He owes us nothing. If anything I blame the club for sitting back and watching instead of extending him before it got to this position.

The Rosco

Bench
Reading the childish bitterness here is hilarious.
And I always thought that eels were smoked, not salty.
I get that we all like to poo-poo our stars when they leave our club . . . we did it with Moses ( but we can say I told you so) but you guys are next level. Well, most of you guys. As for IP going from being a star with you but a chump with us, well that can happen. Matterson.
Your 3 best forwards last year were Paulo, IP and Niakora (sp). You have lost the 2 more damaging, yet you all say there is no problem, you'll just uncover a couple more.
The funniest part of your forum is the few guys that actually tell it like it is, are ignored in favour of the irrational one-eyed fans.
Ya gotta love footy.
Fire away, slimies . . . . it's a long off season. Plenty of time for wholesome discussion.

Papa will revert back to an average player now that he's got his pay day. There is nothing surer... Yes Hinmarshisgod . . that is a common happening in footy. It's called the Matterson principle.

JokerEel

Coach
I get that we all like to poo-poo our stars when they leave our club . . . we did it with Moses ( but we can say I told you so) but you guys are next level. Well, most of you guys. As for IP going from being a star with you but a chump with us, well that can happen. Matterson.
Your 3 best forwards last year were Paulo, IP and Niakora (sp). You have lost the 2 more damaging, yet you all say there is no problem, you'll just uncover a couple more.
The funniest part of your forum is the few guys that actually tell it like it is, are ignored in favour of the irrational one-eyed fans.
Ya gotta love footy.
Fire away, slimies . . . . it's a long off season. Plenty of time for wholesome discussion.

Papa will revert back to an average player now that he's got his pay day. There is nothing surer... Yes Hinmarshisgod . . that is a common happening in footy. It's called the Matterson principle.

Thanks for adding to the childish bitterness..

lucablight

First Grade
Ya gotta love footy.

I agree. The sour grapes here are astounding. We lost our best forward this season and the fans here are acting like we’re just going to magically uncover another Papali’i like it’s no big deal. I hope they’re right but to say it’s nothing to be concerned about is bordering on delusional.

Wally21

Bench
Yep, because Matto has a long history of signing for unders and not inflating his own importance and value. Such a humble, self aware young man. On the plus side, Matto is only one head knock away from medical retirement so that adds some flexibility.
And your team is still a f**king laughing stock. But you keep trolling merkin

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Yep saying Papa will revert back to a lazy bum is laughable, he’s only 23 with his best years ahead of him. Though he might not reach the heights he has here in a weaker pack.