What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

IFR33K

Coach
So what happens when Waqa/ Sivo/Russel /Opacic come back? We play them at 5/8?

No idea mate. Have waqa, sivo, russel and oppa been moved out of their favoured position to fit an average rookie in the team?

needless to say, while being maybe the form player across the nrl in that position?

T-Boon

Coach
As at 4pm on Tuesday 26th, Opacic is not available to play. He was named in the extended squad because of rules that you have to name 25 players on the Tuesday. If he passes his fitness test and travels to Darwin he will play although I am hearing he may play dummy half because apparently we want to force Rheed out early so young Matt Arthur can debut after June 30.
I’ve watched Matt Arthur play. He is another one getting promoted ahead of time. He should be in Andrew John’s cup.

T-Boon

Coach
Anyone who doesn’t think Jake is getting picked because he is the coaches son is a nitwit. He wouldn’t be close to FG otherwise.

eels_fan

First Grade
If you only have 18 available players in your squad to pick from, and he’s one of them, he’s either going to be playing or 18th man…. Given he offers no versatility making him 18th man is pointless

hineyrulz

Post Whore
You can't exactly change a winning team for a fringe first grader like Tom Opacic ffs. He's not top 17. Sivo or Blake I could understand, f**k Jake Arthur off and bring them straight in. But Opacic is not an automatic selection, he missed the big, professional win in Newcastle, and he is under an injury cloud.
So the team is stronger with Jake @ 6 and Brown @ 4 instead of playing a established bloke in the centres??? Lol the shit you spin, it’s bad enough if Oppa is out that Jakey is there stinking up first grade but if he passes his fitness test only you and the Arthur’s think it’s a good call.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I’ve watched Matt Arthur play. He is another one getting promoted ahead of time. He should be in Andrew John’s cup.
Really? To bad eels don’t have a Andrew Johns cup side, additionally that comp is under 16’s MA is 17……the club actually didn’t pick him for Matt’s as a 16 year old (lots of kids do get picked at that age)…..so much for playing favourites then…

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Have you ever known of a player to be shifted to to their less-favoured position for a couple of weeks when their team's backline is decimated by injuries, and decide they should leave the club? It wouldn't be the sign of a very committed player.
Can’t believe Roosters had Manu on the wing last year……during their injury crisis …and they put that Keighran at centre over him….

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
So the team is stronger with Jake @ 6 and Brown @ 4 instead of playing a established bloke in the centres??? Lol the shit you spin, it’s bad enough if Oppa is out that Jakey is there stinking up first grade but if he passes his fitness test only you and the Arthur’s think it’s a good call.

who would you pick ?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I would of picked Matto, easily good enough to defend out there. But if Oppa is fine he goes straight in.

as I understand, Opa is out

I think you are weakening the line up by taking Matto out of the forwards, which then means you need a Matto replacement in the forwards

Lemon Squash

First Grade
I think we got away with it because we played very ordinary opposition last week. Luckily for us our halves never really had to impose themselves due to our forwards being dominant and just crashing over for tries.

As unreal as he was playing through the middle I still would have picked Matto in the centres as well especially if we think it’s only for a week or two until Oppa/Blake is back. Forwards is where we have the better depth atm and it keeps the overall balance of the team better imo.

I like Jake Arthur and have seen enough of him through the grades that he can become a first grader…but he needs to be dominating NSW cup before he comes up into firsts again. After hearing how he trained in the off-season I was happy for us to give him a run but it’s plain as day he isn’t up to the pace of NRL yet.

It’s also not fair for Jake to be out there he is on a hiding to nothing atm, he is a 19yo kid and copping a lot of shit it can’t be good for his confidence moving forward.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
as I understand, Opa is out

I think you are weakening the line up by taking Matto out of the forwards, which then means you need a Matto replacement in the forwards
As opposed to weakening the halves to get Jakey in there?? At least Matto is a first grader, Arthur is eons away from being a first grade standard footballer.

Sunday was as easy as it will get for him, he had a passive defence line and miles of time and he still struggled with the pace of the game. Heaven help him if he’s still there for the Penrith game.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If he was fit you’d start Opacic over Arthur, all else being equal, but then you’d break up the team that smashed Newcastle.

If Opacic turns out to be fit but doesn’t play and we lose let’s say you were right.

Cloeel

Juniors
If he was fit you’d start Opacic over Arthur, all else being equal, but then you’d break up the team that smashed Newcastle.

If Opacic turns out to be fit but doesn’t play and we lose let’s say you were right.

If we lose on the weekend there's just as much fault on every other player let alone JA. Blokes on this forum are acting as if he is being made into our go to player.

No team loses because the Rookie "sucks". It's just an easy scapegoat to pull apart and put all the blame on to feed some sort of insecurity.

The Roosters lost on the weekend and sure as shit it was not because they have a rookie #6. Yes having a rookie who may or may not be ready can be 1/100 other issues that can contribute to a loss. But the fact is we are smashed with injuries and need someone to do a job. As long as we win - who really gives a f**k.

Latest posts