What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gronk

Staff member
I think replacing a forward - with the players we have available - is far easier than replacing a half.

I'm a fan of Jake's - he's got talent, and potential.

But he is not up to First Grade at this point, and weakening our halves seems a bit silly to me.

For me, the logical choice is to use Niukore (when fit), or Matterson, at centre, and find a replacement forward - I know he is uncapped, but Luca Moretti can play in the second row, and all he'd have to do is make his tackles.

Having a rookie forward, in our forwards-dominant system, would be better than putting in a not-ready Arthur in the halves, imo.
What about this week though ? If Opacic isn't available, the brouhaha is over Jake's selection this week.

Should he start at 6 or do you use Emu or Carty somewhere.

We can throw about names like Rodwell Cini, Louizu and Moretti but they are not top 30, so moot point really.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I think replacing a forward - with the players we have available - is far easier than replacing a half.

I'm a fan of Jake's - he's got talent, and potential.

But he is not up to First Grade at this point, and weakening our halves seems a bit silly to me.

For me, the logical choice is to use Niukore (when fit), or Matterson, at centre, and find a replacement forward - I know he is uncapped, but Luca Moretti can play in the second row, and all he'd have to do is make his tackles.

Having a rookie forward, in our forwards-dominant system, would be better than putting in a not-ready Arthur in the halves, imo.

I reckon Eli El-Zakhem has earnt a few games in first grade, he may even get T30 next year with us or someone else.

Gazzamatta

Coach
So Rein is cover for a back that goes down ?
Na. Hes there to get up to speed with the 1s and to support Rheed. Im more than happy for Carty or Matto or Marata to fill in for any back that may be injured. Obviously you think otherwise and more power to you. Jakes turn will come no doubt but personally I dont think he is our best option at this time but Coach has other ideas. If we win this week no doubt BA wont change a winning team. Penrith Park will sort the men from the boys. I will be one very interested observer.

Gronk

Staff member
Na. Hes there to get up to speed with the 1s and to support Rheed. Im more than happy for Carty or Matto or Marata to fill in for any back that may be injured. Obviously you think otherwise and more power to you. Jakes turn will come no doubt but personally I dont think he is our best option at this time but Coach has other ideas. If we win this week no doubt BA wont change a winning team. Penrith Park will sort the men from the boys. I will be one very interested observer.
What I think is that Carty cannot play more than 15 mins of NRL before his trick shots from the 3 point line and arm grabbing f**k us over. You've mentioned Marata and that's entirely different when he's available.

Moving forward, we all hope that both Marata and Opacic and even Russell will be back for Penrith. If it was me and the coach absolutely wants a back as 17th Man, then I would give Hayze a shot. Looks like he can play 1, 6 and 2. Maybe even centre. If Russell is back and 100% then he can also play wing 1 or 3.

This week however we have no cattle and I just think that the "anyone but Jake" selection policy is dumb. We only have 18 fit players FFS.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well he did select Jake ahead of Oppy for game 1 when everyone bar Marata, Sivo and Haze were available so its not just injury cover. Fingers crossed we see a refreshed and firing Jake on Saturday night.
Opacic would’ve been injury cover if selected on the bench in round one. But if we’d lost a half we would’ve had to move a lot more merkins so Gutherson could play there. At least with a half on the bench we only have to move one or two players if we lost an outside back.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Opacic would’ve been injury cover if selected on the bench in round one. But if we’d lost a half we would’ve had to move a lot more merkins so Gutherson could play there. At least with a half on the bench we only have to move one or two players if we lost an outside back.
Depends how you look at it.
Round 1 loose a half, Matto straight in or Russell to 1, Gutho to half, Oppy to wing or the Blake shuffle.
Its about picking your best 17.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Depends how you look at it.
Round 1 loose a half, Matto straight in or Russell to 1, Gutho to half, Oppy to wing or the Blake shuffle.
Its about picking your best 17.
If it was about picking your best 17 Cartwright would play every week but you can’t reward poor efforts in games or training. It’s about maintaining the culture.

Gazzamatta

Coach
If it was about picking your best 17 Cartwright would play every week but you can’t reward poor efforts in games or training. It’s about maintaining the culture.
I remember my Mum use to talk about the runner Ron Clark. Broke records left right and center but when it came medal time. Fitness and effort are 2 fantastic attributes but when they talk about match winners or X Factor or who you turn to when the games on the line, well thats a different set of skills. Whos to say whats more important on any given day under different circumstances.
Ever work with a bloke who was always at work and did his job but never really excelled? Couldnt do anything more than his job description? Or ever work with a bloke who surprised you with his skill but was a tad more difficult to manage?

T-Boon

Coach
I don't get it. Whats there to blame when we won?

Or do we manufacture blame on a rookie simply because we do not believe his old man is a good coach?
I was responding to a message saying if we lose (this weekend) it isn’t JAs fault.

Eelementary

Post Whore
What about this week though ? If Opacic isn't available, the brouhaha is over Jake's selection this week.

Should he start at 6 or do you use Emu or Carty somewhere.

We can throw about names like Rodwell Cini, Louizu and Moretti but they are not top 30, so moot point really.

I was sure that Rodwell was a top 30 player...

To be honest, we can probably get away with playing a not-ready Jakob this week - but I'd be wary of giving him too many games. He is just not ready for the pace of First Grade yet.

Gronk

Staff member
I was sure that Rodwell was a top 30 player...

To be honest, we can probably get away with playing a not-ready Jakob this week - but I'd be wary of giving him too many games. He is just not ready for the pace of First Grade yet.
Rodwell is development contract.