What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Glenneel

Bench
and they’ll be more than competitive. Like him or loathe him, Gus knows what hes doing.
I don't know about that, he certainly thinks he knows what he's doing. Penrith didn't thrive until he left because he interfered with what the coach was doing and releasing players and bringing others in against the coach's wishes. And how can a coach coach with someone looking over their shoulder all the time and critising their methods. And did he really set up their junior systems or did other people while he was there and just oversee the changes?

hindy111

Post Whore
I don't know about that, he certainly thinks he knows what he's doing. Penrith didn't thrive until he left because he interfered with what the coach was doing and releasing players and bringing others in against the coach's wishes. And how can a coach coach with someone looking over their shoulder all the time and critising their methods. And did he really set up their junior systems or did other people while he was there and just oversee the changes?

I've also argued this. Penrith has been a beneficial of the growing population in the area and also the fact its full of young families who live and breed rugby league.

The change in the last 15yrs in the area contributed a lot.

Compare it to Sth West Sydney. Different people, different ages etc.
It won't be as easy to get juniors pouring thru. Its a bit of a numbers game really

Gronk

Staff member
the fact its full of young families who live and breed rugby league.
jiggity GIF

Glenneel

Bench
Edwards work rate, is always in position to catch kicks on the full, his work in defence is second to none, his organising of our defence. In addition to his metres gained .
Are you sure about that! I can show you several times where he let the ball bounce which led to tries, including your first loss at Penrith in 20 years in Parra's first game against you last year.

I reckon Gus’s talent lies with backing the winner. It’s much easier being the guy driving the Pennys or Dogs bus when you are flush with cash than sticking with the Warriors or being too scared to take on the Dragons.

It’s there in black and white, he’s largely successful in what he does, so he deserves appropriate accolades. Having said that, he’s quick to blame others in his camp when success fails to manifest and just as quick to gloat about his contributions to success when it does. His treatment of Trent Barrett is a perfect example of this. Thrown under the bus.

The other side of Gus is the footy commentator / journalist who is an expert in hindsight and a top shelf bullshit artist. If I had a dollar everytime he spruiked a “I told you so” when he didn’t or “give me the NRL” or “let me take over the judiciary” “I can fix it and I’ll do it for free” … just shut up mate.
Barrett wasn’t thrown under the bus. He was a horrible coach and he was clearly the problem as we saw when he left, the bulldogs were playing some good footy under some interim who came from the Mounties in Potter lmao

hindy111

Post Whore
Barrett wasn’t thrown under the bus. He was a horrible coach and he was clearly the problem as we saw when he left, the bulldogs were playing some good footy under some interim who came from the Mounties in Potter lmao

Potter just played high risk who cares footy. By the end of the year they where rubbish under him.

Dean Pay had a poor roster and had built a tough side. Ciraldo comes in with a very strong roster compared to Barrett. Sometimes it's timing for young coaches. The fact is with Barrett players wanted to come across and play for him. He was also talked up as a great attack coach for Penrith. Once he left they talked Ciraldo up. Siebild was also hyped up.
Untill they have runs on the board you can only guess. Ciraldo has a top 8 roster. Dean Pay and Barrett did not.

Pazza

First Grade

Cant see it getting any better under ciraldo

the dogs are desperately trying to transplant success into their organization rather than building it themselves. they did the same thing to manly ten years ago.

IFR33K

Coach

he didn’t oversee the changes. He made the changes.

hindy111

Post Whore
he didn’t oversee the changes. He made the changes.

Gould was brilliant. But he is getting old. Game moves forward. As I've said before I talked to someone on the board who was blind drunk. It sounded like he was almost hated. He went on and on about what they are paying for Rcg,Hiku,Blake. And how the guy takes credit for everything.

Penrith I reckon got super lucky. They had this super crop of Juniors all come thru together so could get good value from them to patch over the salary cap issues he created.

The Dogs will be different. They won't have the same juniors and even if they do produce other clubs are going to be super wary of Gould after his Penrith success.
They'll also need to work out how to keep them with what they spend on players recently.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
even though he was heavily involved with the Roosters who have bought teams their entire existence
The Roosters won SG Ball in '97 and Flegg in '95 while he was there. They've won Flegg/NYC thrice more since then. We haven't won it since 1990. Our under 20s drought is almost as long as our first grade drought.

Last edited:

84 Baby

Referee
I reckon Gus’s talent lies with backing the winner. It’s much easier being the guy driving the Pennys or Dogs bus when you are flush with cash than sticking with the Warriors or being too scared to take on the Dragons.

It’s there in black and white, he’s largely successful in what he does, so he deserves appropriate accolades. Having said that, he’s quick to blame others in his camp when success fails to manifest and just as quick to gloat about his contributions to success when it does. His treatment of Trent Barrett is a perfect example of this. Thrown under the bus.

The other side of Gus is the footy commentator / journalist who is an expert in hindsight and a top shelf bullshit artist. If I had a dollar everytime he spruiked a “I told you so” when he didn’t or “give me the NRL” or “let me take over the judiciary” “I can fix it and I’ll do it for free” … just shut up mate.
I think “backing the winner” is the wrong phrase. It’s more that he’s in the position, due to his media jobs, that he’s able to refuse offers if he doesn’t want to do them.
Whether he’s the best in the business is impossible to tell, because he has given/been allowed to give himself advantages way above most clubs.

the phantom menace

First Grade
Very true. He has the media platform to (mis)use it to gloss over the various mistakes he makes, and big-up those times he does get it right. Constant agenda-driven drivel.