What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

yy_cheng

Coach
The problem is, Moses could still just take up his player option for 2024 and he has until round 10 from memory to do so..
Pulling our "offer" for 2024 ($$ upgrade) and beyond won't help us secure players for 2025 (should Moses exercise his player option for season 2024 only) as we're not allowed to negotiate with anyone until after Nov 1...
Do what we did to nrown.

Play Mitch in reserves then I'm sure someone will take him off our hands in 2024

the phantom menace

First Grade
So how do we get our squad of merkins to not have so many individual (and unfortunately collective) bad days at the office?

I guess that's what the coach and all of his staff and teh recruitment committee are paid to work out and resolve - and the outcome measure is whether the on field outcomes change from what contributed to our 0-3 start...

yy_cheng

Coach
So how do we get our squad of merkins to not have so many individual (and unfortunately collective) bad days at the office?

I guess that's what the coach and all of his staff and teh recruitment committee are paid to work out and resolve - and the outcome measure is whether the on field outcomes change from what contributed to our 0-3 start...
Its psychological

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So we make more errors with the ball, resulting in less completions. Ergo the opposition has more ball and we therefore need to defend more and hence increase the likelihood of a defensive error, resulting in points to the opposition?

Mmm, interesting take on things.
Yep. As I’ve said before, there would be no team more affected than us by lopsided possession. This is because we have more attacking players in our pack than quality defenders. So Arthur’s tactic to control possession suits us. Any tactic that increases the risk of turnovers doesn’t.

A team whose strength is its speed, on the other hand, does benefit more from riskier play. A team with a more defensive pack would be less affected by turnovers.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

No good coach would ever lose three in a row.

Chipmunk

Coach
Yep. As I’ve said before, there would be no team more affected than us by lopsided possession. This is because we have more attacking players in our pack than quality defenders. So Arthur’s tactic to control possession suits us. Any tactic that increases the risk of turnovers doesn’t.

A team whose strength is its speed, on the other hand, does benefit more from riskier play. A team with a more defensive pack would be less affected by turnovers.
You would think though that offloads are risky and we were the team with the highest amount of offloads per game last season.

lucablight

First Grade

Which teams don’t worry about controlling possession?

King-Gutho94

Coach
I'm calling it. Parra to roll Penrith this week in the biggest upset of the round.
Would like to see a big crowd try and get there on Thursday.

The first 2 home games we have had a 50% capacity crowd. While the timeslots have been shit.

Weather has been warmish and its not like we got told a week in advance the game is on.

Its hard for some but considering we have 35k plus members we should have got closer to 20k in both home games.

When we pack out commbank we are almost unstoppable.

TheCrowe

Juniors
we'd have to compete with the other qld teams for him and then he;d probably turn out like that other hooker from qld we had
Of course. I forgot all QLD hookers are exactly the same. My bad.
To me he is more of a Joey Lussick type hooker. Runs hard. Tackles hard plus he has a great general play kick and an kick goals.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You would think though that offloads are risky and we were the team with the highest amount of offloads per game last season.
I think they’re less risky than passing to runners at the line. Good offloads anyway. They go out the back to a waiting support player who then passes to an unmarked playmaker (or another runner). Obviously a bad offload is just thrown out the back hoping someone from your own team catches it.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Which teams don’t worry about controlling possession?
The ones with demonstrably (with statistics) lower completion rates. Some teams are quite obviously more comfortable taking risks than others. It doesn’t mean they want to make errors, they are just more willing to risk them. Examples include spreading the ball inside their half or passing at the line.

lucablight

First Grade
The ones with demonstrably (with statistics) lower completion rates. Some teams are quite obviously more comfortable taking risks than others. It doesn’t mean they want to make errors, they are just more willing to risk them. Examples include spreading the ball inside their half or passing at the line.
I don’t think it follows that a team with lower completions is indicative of said team not valuing completions. It just means they aren’t good at it. We’ve been one of the top offloading teams over the last few seasons despite having some of the best possession stats. We should be minimising offloads if it we were so terrified of not maintaining possession.