What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

It’s clear that we need a fullback an X factor. Fullback position has gone past Gutho now and he should be transitioned elsewhere.

If we can’t find an X factor fullback and I mean Reece Walsh class, then I’d be giving Dylan Brown a go in the off season to see how he copes. There’s a lot to learn obviously but I believe he could make that switch he’d be dynamic with all that room.

As for Gutho, 5/8 or 3/4.

Gronk

Staff member
Per Alex McKinnon (the one from Newcastle I assume)

-------8<------

Eels coach Brad Arthur has done an incredible job this season considering the available players at his disposal.

They’re still in finals contention with two games to play despite stars Mitchell Moses, Ryan Matterson, Reagan Campbell-Gillard, Clint Gutherson, Dylan Brown and J’maine Hopgood all missing games.

BA has done wonders for the development of guys like Hopgood, Will Penisini, Bryce Cartwright, Bailey Simonsson and Sean Russell.

But I don’t think enough has been said about the Parramatta’s recent recruitment and retention blunders.

Six players from the grand final last year are no longer at the club, with the majority of those inexplicably allowed to come off contract at the same time.

Grand final players Reed Mahoney (Bulldogs), Marata Niukore (Warriors), Isaiah Papali’i (Tigers), Oregon Kaufusi (Sharks), Nathan Brown (Roosters) and Jake Arthur (Sea Eagles) have all left.

Throw in Ray Stone (Dolphins), Tom Opacic (Hull KR), Hayze Perham (Bulldogs) and others and it adds up to Arthur losing almost half his roster.

Allowing Mahoney to leave for ageing hooker Josh Hodgson, who has since retired, will go down as one of the Eels’ worst decisions.

General manager Mark O’Neill has been there since 2018 but they’ve had a few changes in their head of recruitment in recent years.

Yes, they got to the grand final last year but often success is a reflection of the past because when you recruit you recruit for the future and the roster doesn’t really become yours until three or four years later.

I can’t say I have faith in the Parramattas’s future based on their recruitment and retention in recent years.

I wouldn’t say their premiership window is closed but there’s only two teams who can win the competition at the moment - the Panthers or Broncos.

The other thing about recruitment is it’s the same people moving from club to club, which is why the NRL needs to get involved to better the profession.

They need to create a pathways system for both recruiters and general managers. Too many salary caps are bent out of shape with the same teams often struggling for years on end.

The NRL should create an entry point for people from other companies and backgrounds to come work at clubs and add to the game’s strategy.

Because at the moment it’s the same people doing the same jobs and we’re left with the same mess of several clubs struggling to compete.

JokerEel

Coach
It’s clear that we need a fullback an X factor. Fullback position has gone past Gutho now and he should be transitioned elsewhere.

If we can’t find an X factor fullback and I mean Reece Walsh class, then I’d be giving Dylan Brown a go in the off season to see how he copes. There’s a lot to learn obviously but I believe he could make that switch he’d be dynamic with all that room.

As for Gutho, 5/8 or 3/4.

We either need a fullback like Walsh/Campbell/Ponga

or we need to stop leaking 20+ points per game...

Gutho has started to become like Teddy in attack where the play breaks down when he gets his hands on it in a backline movement.. He does not have the turn of pace to get on the outside of players and create an overlap.

JokerEel

Coach
Alex: what should I write about ?
Editor: bag Parramatta
Alex: But I'm a nice person
Editor: Just praise Brad and the club, then throw in a but ..
Alex: Ohh, that's how you journalism

Compliment Sandwhich!

Give a compliment..
Crap on the Eels..
Give a compliment..

Done!

Gronk

Staff member
We either need a fullback like Walsh/Campbell/Ponga

or we need to stop leaking 20+ points per game...

Gutho has started to become like Teddy in attack where the play breaks down when he gets his hands on it in a backline movement.. He does not have the turn of pace to get on the outside of players and create an overlap.
You're not wrong. We even said that watching whatshisface from St George, who was very slippery and could use his pace to create a 3 on 2 in a flash.

TheRam

Coach
I'm someone who has followed the Eels through the highs and lows for 48 years Opinions are like Rsoles everyone has got one

Mate I'm on your side. If you didn't notice I was mostly being sarcastic.

Oh as for signing Herbie, we should have had a go at it around 3 years ago when I first suggested it while he was still under the radar and the Broncos were struggling. Not now that they are flying and there is another Brisbane future super club to contend with.

TheRam

Coach
When did we upgrade to demountable???

Probably a waste of money, the marquees were brilliant...

I love the design of the Tigers COE, which includes spectator seating around it. Looks so inviting and classy. I hope ours is going to be something like that. From memory the renders that they released the design looked like something from the 80's and pretty ugly if I'm being honest. I hope that that isn't what they are actually going with.

Chipmunk

Coach
Per Alex McKinnon (the one from Newcastle I assume)

-------8<------

Eels coach Brad Arthur has done an incredible job this season considering the available players at his disposal.

They’re still in finals contention with two games to play despite stars Mitchell Moses, Ryan Matterson, Reagan Campbell-Gillard, Clint Gutherson, Dylan Brown and J’maine Hopgood all missing games.

BA has done wonders for the development of guys like Hopgood, Will Penisini, Bryce Cartwright, Bailey Simonsson and Sean Russell.

But I don’t think enough has been said about the Parramatta’s recent recruitment and retention blunders.

Six players from the grand final last year are no longer at the club, with the majority of those inexplicably allowed to come off contract at the same time.

Grand final players Reed Mahoney (Bulldogs), Marata Niukore (Warriors), Isaiah Papali’i (Tigers), Oregon Kaufusi (Sharks), Nathan Brown (Roosters) and Jake Arthur (Sea Eagles) have all left.

Throw in Ray Stone (Dolphins), Tom Opacic (Hull KR), Hayze Perham (Bulldogs) and others and it adds up to Arthur losing almost half his roster.

Allowing Mahoney to leave for ageing hooker Josh Hodgson, who has since retired, will go down as one of the Eels’ worst decisions.

General manager Mark O’Neill has been there since 2018 but they’ve had a few changes in their head of recruitment in recent years.

Yes, they got to the grand final last year but often success is a reflection of the past because when you recruit you recruit for the future and the roster doesn’t really become yours until three or four years later.

I can’t say I have faith in the Parramattas’s future based on their recruitment and retention in recent years.

I wouldn’t say their premiership window is closed but there’s only two teams who can win the competition at the moment - the Panthers or Broncos.

The other thing about recruitment is it’s the same people moving from club to club, which is why the NRL needs to get involved to better the profession.

They need to create a pathways system for both recruiters and general managers. Too many salary caps are bent out of shape with the same teams often struggling for years on end.

The NRL should create an entry point for people from other companies and backgrounds to come work at clubs and add to the game’s strategy.

Because at the moment it’s the same people doing the same jobs and we’re left with the same mess of several clubs struggling to compete.

The biggest issue with our recruitment and retention comes down to the make up of the people in charge of doing the job.

I suspect our current recruitment and retention committees group philosophy is flawed in what NRL players we should be recruiting and how we're going about actually currently recruiting those players.

Apparently the four people on the recruitment and retention committee are the Chairman, CEO, Head of Football and Head Coach. 50% of the make up of that committee know as much about the recruitment and retention of NRL footballers as Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse. The other 50% are mandatory and probably know what it is needed. No offence to the first position listed, but in our clubs case, this person should be no where near the decision making process of which players play rugby league at the club. Every single person on this forum is just as qualified as that person to the do that job, and most would agree none of us should be on the committee. I'd probably replace him with the position that Nathan Brown currently occupies, as I believe it is his role to know what is coming through in future years. The CEO should only be there to make sure the other three aren't doing anything wrong.

Last edited:

hindy111

Post Whore
This is a Rugby League fan forum, not a soft drink company, very poor analogy.

You still don't seem to get it, so I'll explain to you what I tell new moderators when they first take on the role.

You are a forum member first and foremost, then you act as a moderator when there is a rule breach and you act accordingly.

And sodas, wtf ? This ain't America. We refer to them as soft drinks, you gotta stay off those Alex Jones sites.

I always refer to it as soda pop.

Latest posts