What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

84 Baby

Referee
But but but but but we had a revue

200w.gif

Gronk

Staff member
Why for a club thats supposed to be a development club do our junior players always look way out of their depth when they arrive in first grade??? Look at youngsters from other clubs. We are doing something horribly wrong.
Before last year (?) we were crap going down to U7's Wenty. At least we faired well in Ball and Matts in 2023 for a change. This year we did OK again (well the finals are on this week for Matts). Edit: and Ball !

I reckon you might get one or two from each year that are guns, the rest fade away. So to get to be like Penrith with a constant flow of kids coming through, you need to have been highly competitive in Matts and Ball for years and years. That way you can attract better players to trials and you gain momentum from that,

So at the moment we just have dribs and drabs of good players coming through surrounded with players that won't make it in senior footy.

We should be supplementing those players with good players from other clubs, but are we ?

In Jersey Flegg we did buy some players, but TBH I don't know if they were bargain bin or astute buys. The way that Flegg have been going, I think we know the answer. The other question is did we try hard enough to keep the players we lost ?

Parramatta Eels​

Coach: Jordan Rankin
Squad: Michael Abdow, Matthew Arthur, Yehya Ayache, Darcy Brettle, Teancum Brown, Jack Burrows, Jai Camilleri, Mitchell Chester, Domenic De Stradis, Antioch Faitala-Mariner, Charlie Guymer, Zac Hunter, William Lewis, Josh Lynn, Izaiah Mafi, Damascus Neemia, Saxon Pryke, Ethan Sanders, Tamarere Simons, Ryley Smith, Charlie Sorovi, Patrick Spence, Samuel Squire, Blaize Talagi, Lebron Tuala, Te Hurinui Twidle, Reece Winston.

Gains: Mitchell Chester (Wests Tigers U21), Antioch Faitala-Mariner (Brisbane Tigers U21), Jai Camilleri, Damascus Neemia (Norths Devils U21), Izaiah Mafi (Ipswich U21), Ryley Smith (Penrith U21), Michael Abdow (Roosters U19), Yehya Ayache (Penrith U19), Teancum Brown (Western Suburbs U19), Charlie Sorovi (Canterbury U19), Reece Winston (Melbourne U19)
Losses: Markis Atoa (Melbourne U21), Jontay-Junior Betham-Misa (Brisbane Tigers), Lachlan Blackburn (Penrith U21), Jacob Davis (Newcastle U21), Nicholas Lenaz (Manly U21), Larry Muagututia (Canterbury U21), Mac Puafisi (Western Clydesdales), Noah Reed (South Sydney U21), Turoa Williams (Roosters U21), Tutonu Junior Wright (Wests Tigers U21)

Last edited:

JokerEel

Coach
Before last year (?) we were crap going down to U7's Wenty. At least we faired well in Ball and Matts in 2023 for a change. This year we did OK again (well the finals are on this week for Matts).

I reckon you might get one or two from each year that are guns, the rest fade away. So to get to be like Penrith with a constant flow of kids coming through, you need to have been highly competitive in Matts and Ball for years and years. That way you can attract better players to trials and you gain momentum from that,

So at the moment we just have dribs and drabs of good players coming through surrounded with players that won't make it in senior footy.

We should be supplementing those players with good players from other clubs, but are we ?

In Jersey Flegg we did buy some players, but TBH I don't know if they were bargain bin or astute buys. The way that Flegg have been going, I think we know the answer. The other question is did we try hard enough to keep the players we lost ?

Parramatta Eels​

Squad: Michael Abdow, Matthew Arthur, Yehya Ayache, Darcy Brettle, Teancum Brown, Jack Burrows, Jai Camilleri, Mitchell Chester, Domenic De Stradis, Antioch Faitala-Mariner, Charlie Guymer, Zac Hunter, William Lewis, Josh Lynn, Izaiah Mafi, Damascus Neemia, Saxon Pryke, Ethan Sanders, Tamarere Simons, Ryley Smith, Charlie Sorovi, Patrick Spence, Samuel Squire, Blaize Talagi, Lebron Tuala, Te Hurinui Twidle, Reece Winston.

Gains: Mitchell Chester (Wests Tigers U21), Antioch Faitala-Mariner (Brisbane Tigers U21), Jai Camilleri, Damascus Neemia (Norths Devils U21), Izaiah Mafi (Ipswich U21), Ryley Smith (Penrith U21), Michael Abdow (Roosters U19), Yehya Ayache (Penrith U19), Teancum Brown (Western Suburbs U19), Charlie Sorovi (Canterbury U19), Reece Winston (Melbourne U19)
Losses: Markis Atoa (Melbourne U21), Jontay-Junior Betham-Misa (Brisbane Tigers), Lachlan Blackburn (Penrith U21), Jacob Davis (Newcastle U21), Nicholas Lenaz (Manly U21), Larry Muagututia (Canterbury U21), Mac Puafisi (Western Clydesdales), Noah Reed (South Sydney U21), Turoa Williams (Roosters U21), Tutonu Junior Wright (Wests Tigers U21)

FFS Ball are in Finals as well!
1712883333504.png

Eelementary

Post Whore
Why for a club thats supposed to be a development club do our junior players always look way out of their depth when they arrive in first grade??? Look at youngsters from other clubs. We are doing something horribly wrong.

That Tigers 5/8 made the game-winning play against us, as an 18-year old.

Talagi was like a deer in headlights.

Totally agree with you.

IFR33K

Coach

You think? It’s only been almost 40 years we haven’t tasted success, yet some still think no matter what the club does, it was the right call.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Before last year (?) we were crap going down to U7's Wenty. At least we faired well in Ball and Matts in 2023 for a change. This year we did OK again (well the finals are on this week for Matts). Edit: and Ball !

Parramatta Eels​

Yawn!! Why does every highly touted junior look absolutely out of their depth when promoted to first grade???

Keep running interference for the club I’m sure they appreciate it and the cheque is in the mail. Meanwhile nothing changes and yet another year goes by when us the fans get shafted while apathy kicks in for most of us. The thing is it seems the club are going a good job with the 18’s and under but from there on it what the f**k happens to these kids?? Well there has been one constant in 11 years so…….

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
That Tigers 5/8 made the game-winning play against us, as an 18-year old.

Talagi was like a deer in headlights.

Totally agree with you.
It was the game winning play because we had no merkins coming across in cover. Talagi put Gutherson through a gap early in the game and there were Tigers defenders everywhere.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You think? It’s only been almost 40 years we haven’t tasted success, yet some still think no matter what the club does, it was the right call.
Nothing to do with being the ‘right’ call. Just the best call of multiple imperfect options. There are no solutions, just trade offs.

You said it yourself, it’s been almost 40 years. You think it’s coincidence that everyone at the club hasn’t made some magical ‘right’ call in that time?

yy_cheng

Coach
Or he has no clue and after yet another failure, realised the error of his ways and has now had to go the more correct route and adjust by promoting the more experienced and NRL ready Asi instead.

It's not rocket science ppl. It's footy and anyone with a little footy knowledge(ala me) could see that Blaize was struggling defensively at NRL and that we were extremely lucky that Manly lost their way after the first 20 mins and we took the ascendency which masked over Blaize's more than obvious major defensive issues.

By this of course I don't mean Asi will necessarily be our savior either and the solution to our problems at this point. Our problems are way deeper that just one player(Moses missing) but they can not and will not ever be fixed under Potates as coach. I mean he has had 10+ season to get it done.

No I'm afraid we will limp around for the remainder of the season, probably miss the 8 and then have to go through the coming dramas of will he or won't he be sacked and then who will we replace him with type of bullsh*t that will ensue.

Unfortunately, the only free NRL standard coach that I would have loved to replace him with is now with the Dragons. Bennett at this point is an option, but even he might be snapped up before our management finally decide to pull the pin on Potaes. Also Bennett comes with a massive negative backend sting in the tail so to speak in that he just comes in for a short stint and hopes to get the title within that period and leaves. But does F-all for junior development in the meantime. One could say however, 'so what's the difference' and it would be very hard to argue with that sentiment.

Anyway I expect the Cowboys to beat us this weekend unless they themselves come out and play like crap, which with the Cowboys can be a possibility, but I doubt it somehow and don't expect Dylbags to change much in his inability to read a game correctly.

All the natural talent in the world that kid but not a student of the game. And for ppl like @Gronk that think his stellar efforts in defence make up for his inabilities to read a game and be a running play maker, they are missing the point.

It is easy for someone like Dylan to work his ringer off in the one percenters, especially defensively, since that is part of his natural talent baseline attributes. He is naturally super fit and only behind Gutho at the club for fitness. So that part of his game is not something he had to work on per se. It is the play making stuff that he has neglected and not done enough work on and it shows. It shows terribly. He has the skill set to be a top line play making half, with a great short kicking game and at least an ok long kicking game to, but lacks the awareness and timing that real study and years of long hours, daily practice can only give you for NRL level success. Finding mentors within the club and outside of that can add to his learning curve and so on. I would love for him to approach someone like Cronk and ask for advise. That guy would teach him exactly what it takes to go to the next level.

This is why I am so hard on him. I know he can do it and do it better than most, but he hasn't knuckled down and worked on it enough. Oh well I expect us to miss the 8 this year now and well hopefully the powers that be will finally move on from Potates at long last.

Let the circus begin.

Doubt the powers to be will grant cronk. They'll just say why spend money on him when we have barrett

Eelementary

Post Whore
It was the game winning play because we had no merkins coming across in cover. Talagi put Gutherson through a gap early in the game and there were Tigers defenders everywhere.

I forgot that, tbh.

Like I said before - Talagi has a lot of talent, and is an exciting prospect.

But I think the physicality of First Grade rugby league is beyond him at this point in time.

Latest posts