What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

84 Baby

Referee
Absolutely been forced.

I like Talagi on the bench but BA has been forced into this
I think it’s been “forced”. With everything happening Talagi would of course want assurances he has chance at first grade. Lomax probably blows that opportunity out until decisions are made on more senior players.
We are not the only club nor BA the only coach this happens to.
What the selection says to me is they think Talagi is a player worth keeping, as do I.

Stevie

Bench
Could Talagi be a possible winger option for next year? Maybe a Talagi outside a Lomax?

Possible?

1. Gutherson
2. Talagi
3. Penisini
4. Lomax
5. Russell
6. Brown
7. Moses

Simmo, Harper, Sivo reserves?

Chipmunk

Coach
Good signing at the right price.

I reckon BA will recruit his way in gaining another extension. Watch him sign another notable player soon.

#gutfeel
You'd hope the club has cleared the issue that we won't be carrying Lomax's DragQueens salary under our salary cap going forward.

hindy111

Post Whore
I think we need to move Sivo and replace but if not I'd expect this

Guth
Sivo
Pensini
Lomax
Russel

14 Blaize - And first man in for injuries.

Back ups/project players

R.Pensini
AMS

Someone better informed would be able to suggest who from Flegg may come in.

Harper/Simmo may be offered a 1yr deal. More likely Harper. Simmo probably cost to much as a back up.

We probably need to look at some project players like Feagi perhaps or Jesse Mclean

Gazzamatta

Coach
My theory is that Kelma is being held together with sticky tape. Last game he was only used for 14 mins.

Oggy was supposed to be 18th man vs Cows, but was busted in Cup.

So Blaize slotted in.

Blaize is next man up this week and as others say, will be used as X factor off the bench vs a depth challenged Fins.

View attachment 86658
Kelma has been far from impressive. Another Murchie possibly. That 4th bench spot should be a 9 or backs cover for sure so for that reason I dont mind this.
Also, it must be said that Simmonson getting injured necessitated a change last game which I thought was pre planned and well thought through. Penisini to wing, Kelma to edge forward and Carty to centre. Not something I
expect from BA. Well done.

Last edited:

84 Baby

Referee
You'd hope the club has cleared the issue that we won't be carrying Lomax's DragQueens salary under our salary cap going forward.
The NRL has one of the most secretive salary caps in the world. It’s been crying out for an overhaul and transparency for decades.
In my view, we don’t have assignable contracts, which means whatever a player was being paid previously is irrelevant. As soon as contract A ends, contract B is the only value that matters. (Granted in circumstances where a contracted player changes clubs then the “payout” would usually be included in negotiations with new club and player)
I get Gould’s sentiment especially in heavily backended contracts, but that’s the risk club and player take. Any payout there is potentially part of the clubs salary cap as a way of balancing adjustment for value to date. Now if it’s ridiculously abused sure penalise the club, but that penalty should have nothing to do with the new club.

yy_cheng

Coach
Kelma has been far from impressive. Another Murchie possibly. That 4th bench spot should be a 9 or backs cover for sure so for that reason I dont mind this.
Also, it must be said that Simmonson getting injured necessitated a change last game which I thought was pre planned and well thought through. Penisini to wing, Kelma to edge forward and Carty to centre. Not something I dont expect from BA. Well done.
The only bad thing about that is if Penisini ends up opposing a tall winger - Topou, his chook's mate... but then I gues To'o is small and Taruva but Will is not a seasoned winger

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Could Talagi be a possible winger option for next year? Maybe a Talagi outside a Lomax?

Possible?

1. Gutherson
2. Talagi
3. Penisini
4. Lomax
5. Russell
6. Brown
7. Moses

Simmo, Harper, Sivo reserves?

what I like most about that is the three in reserves

Gutho played wing when he came from Manly and we all knew he wasn't a winger but he showed a big heart and determination and it got him some NRL experience and the rest is history.

As long as Talagi is no prima donna and he's willing to start on the wing, this may work out OK.

Delboy

First Grade
It would be unlikely to see Sanders recommit to the Eels, his manager has a strained relationship with the club. He was moved on by the current admin when he was in charge of junior recruitment and education. The original Raiders offer was considerable and Ricky has made a commitment to pay overs for elite juniors rather than pay overs to attract higher range players to Canberra. It seems to be a decent strategy.
Actually need to correct some stuff
Sanders manager resigned from the club of his own volition, and have been advised that he still offers players to the club, one has resigned for a further 2 years and there have been rep level players under his managership offered to the club. So a big stuff up that shouldn’t have occurred.

Legal Eel

Juniors
I think it’s been “forced”. With everything happening Talagi would of course want assurances he has chance at first grade. Lomax probably blows that opportunity out until decisions are made on more senior players.
We are not the only club nor BA the only coach this happens to.
What the selection says to me is they think Talagi is a player worth keeping, as do I.
I know it has been forced - but I am also happy that they are doing what they can to keep him and his management relatively happy within reason - I think he could be a big part of our future as well, so much so that I will go as far as to say I think he should actually be at centre instead of Harper

I think it’s a wash defensively and his upside in both attack and defence is better

The NRL has one of the most secretive salary caps in the world. It’s been crying out for an overhaul and transparency for decades.
In my view, we don’t have assignable contracts, which means whatever a player was being paid previously is irrelevant. As soon as contract A ends, contract B is the only value that matters. (Granted in circumstances where a contracted player changes clubs then the “payout” would usually be included in negotiations with new club and player)
I get Gould’s sentiment especially in heavily backended contracts, but that’s the risk club and player take. Any payout there is potentially part of the clubs salary cap as a way of balancing adjustment for value to date. Now if it’s ridiculously abused sure penalise the club, but that penalty should have nothing to do with the new club.

Indeed. In the NFL, which our code seems to follow in many aspects like this, its not unheard of say for veteran players who were on big contracts at one club to sign with a different team on substantially less for a chance to win a championship. none of this "notional value" b/s. As far as I'm aware, the NBA don't do it either. Players often have to choose, do they want the max value $ wise or, take less to ensure the team has enough talent to compete for a championship?

T.S Quint

Coach
You probably shouldn't be touching the players - regardless of how much they get paid

notouching-arresteddevelopment.gif

King-Gutho94

Coach
Also, it must be said that Simmonson getting injured necessitated a change last game which I thought was pre planned and well thought through. Penisini to wing, Kelma to edge forward and Carty to centre. Not something I
expect from BA. Well done.
You might say BA is evolving a little bit and taking risks his job is on the line.

Even the BA supporters would be aware he should be gone if we miss the finals 2 years in a row.

He knows he cant coast along and hope we make the finals. Its a results driven business.

Yep we are waiting for Moses to come back but we have to use to period to eke out as much as we can and not fall too far behind. Otherwise it could be too late when Moses returns.

Coming up with different plans to suit the fit and available side you have at our disposal that given week especially when a main playmaker is taken out.

Blaize on the bench is a good move. Darwin is hot and humid a bit of spark coming on just before halftime against a tiring aging pack that the Dolphins are is a good move.