What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

hindy111

Post Whore
Given there’s a million billion people in Australia or whatever, you are statistically more likely to replace an average operator (for this level) with someone worse.

Statistically speaking the only people applying for the job would have the credentials needed for the role and proximity would also play a role.
This would change the odds considerably.

Stevie

Bench

Parramatta Eels begin interviewing for head coaching role​

Parramatta powers-that-be have begun organising interviews for the vacant head coaching role, with two high-profile assistants and a former Wallabies coach leading the pack. See the full list of candidates.
Brent Read and Michael Carayannis

Could NSW coach Michael Maguire interview for the Eels job mid series?

Brent Read, Michael Carayannis and David Riccio look at the Eels coaching position and... more
View more related videos

Parramatta have included former Wallabies coach Michael Cheika on a shortlist alongside Jason Ryles and Josh Hannay as they begin setting up interviews with potential candidates to take over as head coach of the Eels.
Cheika, Ryles and Hannay were shortlisted along with interim coach Trent Barrett and NSW coach Michael Maguire, who is in the midst of preparing for the Blues for the opening State of Origin game.
The Eels are expected to begin interviews with the candidates as early as this week, having failed in their earlier attempt to convince seven-time premiership winner Wayne Bennett to turn his back on South Sydney and take over from Brad Arthur.

Arthur was sacked a fortnight ago after more than a decade at the helm of Parramatta, the club reaching the decision to make a coaching change on May 1 but keeping it under wraps for three weeks.
https://media.news.com.au/multimedia/2024/shield of dreams poster.jpg
Jason Ryles has emerged as a key target in Parramatta’s head coach search. Picture: Chris Hyde/Getty Images

Jason Ryles has emerged as a key target in Parramatta’s head coach search. Picture: Chris Hyde/Getty Images
They used that time to mount a chase of Bennett but after coming up short, have opted to pursue a more formal process. The Eels shortlisted the candidates at a board meeting last week and contacted the contenders on Monday morning to arrange interviews.
The hope is that Parramatta will be in position to announce a new coach in a matter of weeks. Cheika is the most intriguing option, having made no secret of his desire to try his hand in the NRL.
Michael Cheika is set to interview for the job. Picture: Hannah Peters/Getty Images

Michael Cheika is set to interview for the job. Picture: Hannah Peters/Getty Images

More Coverage​

It is understood a number of parties have contacted the Eels on behalf of Cheika and the club is keen to speak to him as they finalise a replacement for Arthur.
Ryles and Hannay, assistant coaches at Melbourne and Cronulla respectively, are considered the frontrunners for the role while Barrett did his cause no harm as Parramatta bounced back to their best with a win over Cronulla last Thursday.
More to come...

84 Baby

Referee
I hope we get assistance in to help sift through the bullshit. I’d ask Brian Smith if he’d be willing or even someone like Tim Sheens, just to help out with interviews. We’ve only really looked at assistants in 11 years so I doubt we’re fully across what we should be looking at

Eelementary

Post Whore
From the injury thread... Posted by someone/nobody

"There is a stomach bug going around that makes you shit through the eye of a needle for a week and you can lose 5-7kg's"

Lol. Battlers will keep on battling ...

Mate, I had that a few weeks ago.

Even driving my car to go the doctor was at risk of setting my stomach off.

It was awful.

I think there's probably more to this story, and Matto (rightfully) put a lot of people offside, but if he does have this virus, there's no way he could play imo.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Matterson has a history of head knocks and concussions. It may not even take much of a hit for his mind to remember the traumas from years ago and react over a smaller hit.
If he is worried and concerned about his health he is best off not playing in my eyes.

Agreed.

He's one of my favourite players, but he is starting to remind me of Boyd Cordner, in the sense that the slightest knock is starting to give him symptoms.

I think it might be in his best interests to retire.

Last edited:

Eelementary

Post Whore
Pretty strong evidence there KG. Obviously his sickies were very much required. Its looks nasty. Yeah sad. Hopefully a solution is found that best suits his future. Id suggest the Cowfusi headslam probably started his issues. Sue him Matto!

No joke - he should sue Kaufusi.

That was a dog shot, and it probably started the path that Matto is on now.

hindy111

Post Whore
Agreed.

He's one of my favourite players, but he is starting to remind me of Boys Cordner, in the sense that the slightest knock is starting to give him symptoms.

I think it might be in his best interests to retire.

I reckon the fact players are also aware of the danger now it would play on their minds and that could intensify things. I don't blame anyone who fears that horrible disease guys like Mario Fench have. Mario's is only 62 bit has been suffering since his early/mid 50s. That's way to young.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I reckon the fact players are also aware of the danger now it would play on their minds and that could intensify things. I don't blame anyone who fears that horrible disease guys like Mario Fench have. Mario's is only 62 bit has been suffering since his early/mid 50s. That's way to young.

Completely agree.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Along with JWH they should of been rubbed out of the game years ago.

Totally agree.

There's nothing tough about how they play the game - they're just glorified thugs, protected by the NRL, for some reason.

I still remember the elbow that Kaufusi put on Matto, and my jaw hit the floor in disbelief when they announced Kaufusi's "punishment"...

The NRL has put together harsher penalties for cannonball tackles, but a dog shot elbow/head slam to a defenceless player is fine...

Last edited:

Stevie

Bench
Totally agree.

There's nothing tough about how they play the game - they're just glorified things, protected by the NRL, for some reason.

I still remember the elbow that Kaufusi put on Matto, and my jaw hot the floor in disbelief when they announced Kaufusi's "punishment"...

The NRL has put together harsher penalties for cannonball tackles, but a dog shot elbow/head slam to a defenceless player is fine...
I genuinely hope he sues him. Guy is a f**king thug of the highest order.