What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Chipmunk

Coach
No, he mentioned that Reynolds has played Origin...the implication being that he's hardly a godawful footballer, not that Gutherson is an Origin player.

I didn't say he was an awful player, nor did I say Gutherson is.

What I said was that Gutherson as a 6 will only reach the level at most of Josh Reynolds. Like I said, if we're happy with that then we're happy with that.

Chipmunk

Coach
Regarding other options for the halves, would we be better in "carrying" Dargan for a year or two ? He seem to do ok in his game time in the trials and while he isn't the best option it does give us a shit load of cash to strength other positions.

Signing another top line half for probably around $750 k is a big risk when we could probably afford to add two very good quality non-spine players to our top 17.

What other positions would you strengthen instead?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
What other positions would you strengthen instead?

I think the pack needs a leader, a rep quality player at either lock or prop that can play long minutes. Maybe Bird but his asking price is pretty high it seems.

And a quality bench utility that can play several positions including hooker/halves (potentially a spot Taka could take soon, but he aren't playing hooker). Maybe Reynolds is this type of player.

Eelementary

Post Whore
No, he mentioned that Reynolds has played Origin...the implication being that he's hardly a godawful footballer, not that Gutherson is an Origin player.

That's what I meant, yes.

Imo, Gutherson is a better footballer, and given enough time, may play for NSW in a similar role to what Reynolds did.

Doesn't mean he will, but the original point was that Reynolds is not a great player, but he's serviceable, and I reckon Gutherson will be, too.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think he has potential but unless he gets a kicking game he won't be long term solution there. He defence and running game is pretty good and his play making will improve with time. But its his kicking game that is the worry. He deserves some more time.

Also last night he made a nice break.

And really his ability wasn't a problem in the first two weeks when we held the ball and completed our sets, it's not like he has had the chance to do much in the last two games.

Granted, that was a few seasons ago, and it was at fullback - but he displayed some nice skill.

I think with more time, he will be a very handy 6.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Shit. The guy make so many errors. So far he has made 9 in 4 games. He'll fit in with our muppets
Only made 17 in 24 games last year. He is clearly having a bad year. Maybe he is distracted by trying to sort his future out? Apparently most players lose form during contract negotiations, contrary to the popular rejoinder that "So-and-so only puts in when off contract". Of course there would also be players that fit this bill.

Parraren

Bench
I figured I'd be on my own.

I think he's worth persisting with, and I believe he'd benefit from having the coach stop protecting him.

Last night was painful, because it was clear as day that the plan was for Norman to do 90% of the playmaking, and the Sharks figured that out quickly.

Let Gutherson play what's in front of him.
I'm with you. I can see a lot of upside with Gutherson and would like to see him get more ball.

I'm not slitting my wrists, I thought we'd start slowly this year and be better as the year rolls on. Expecting French and Gutherson to be big improvers. The first 2 weeks were a real surprise at how smooth our attack looked.

Biggest dissapointment has been the 'parra ball' crap coming back into our game. As soon as we start losing the battle in the forwards we go for the lazy offload or hero pass which 9 times out of 10 turns into an error. This really shits me, Brad better belt it out of them this week at training. We're currently playing with no patience and have lost the discipline to stay in the grind.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Granted, that was a few seasons ago, and it was at fullback - but he displayed some nice skill.

I think with more time, he will be a very handy 6.
The lineups are interesting:

NSW
1. Clinton Gutherson (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles)
2. Vai Toutai (Parramatta Eels)
3. Dylan Walker (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
4. Charly Runciman (St George-Illawarra Dragons)
5. George Jennings (Penrith Panthers)
6. Luke Brooks (Wests Tigers)
7. Mitch Cornish (Canberra Raiders)
8. David Klemmer (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
9. Michael Lichaa (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks)
10. Matthew Lodge (Melbourne Storm)
11. Kelepi Tanginoa (Parramatta Eels)
12. Dean Britt (Melbourne Storm)
13. Brendan Santi (Wests Tigers)
14. Craig Garvey (St George-Illawarra Dragons)
15. Kyle Lovett (Wests Tigers)
16. Jake Trbojevic (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles)
17. Junior Paulo (Parramatta Eels)

QLD
1. Kurt Mann (Melbourne Storm)
2. Zac Santo (North Queensland Cowboys)
3. Hymel Hunt (Gold Coast Titans)
4. Brenko Lee (Canberra Raiders)
5. Nene MacDonald (Sydney Roosters)
6. Moses Mbye (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
7. Anthony Milford (Canberra Raiders)
8. Francis Molo (Brisbane Broncos)
9. Kierran Moseley (Penrith Panthers)
10. Patrick Kaufusi (North Queensland Cowboys)
11. Caleb Timu (Brisbane Broncos)
12. Corey Oates (Brisbane Broncos)
13. Chris Grevsmuhl (North Queensland Cowboys)
14. Luke Bateman (Canberra Raiders)
15. Lloyd Perrett (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
16. Rhyse Martin (Sydney Roosters)
17. Brandon Tago (Sydney Roosters)
18. John Folau (Parramatta Eels)

http://www.nrl.com/under-20s-origin-squads-named/tabid/10874/newsid/71757/default.aspx

Chipmunk

Coach
I think the pack needs a leader, a rep quality player at either lock or prop that can play long minutes. Maybe Bird but his asking price is pretty high it seems.

And a quality bench utility that can play several positions including hooker/halves (potentially a spot Taka could take soon, but he aren't playing hooker). Maybe Reynolds is this type of player.

No 9 or replacement for Semi?

Chipmunk

Coach
Austin is loving Canberra, for some unfathomable reason. I'd be shocked if he leaves.

Why would he? He's earning more money than we'd probably pay him in a team that should have themselves in the Top 8 at least for the next few years, compared to coming to a team that might make the Top 8 if luck goes their way, but is odds against wont.

Avenger

Immortal
Why would he? He's earning more money than we'd probably pay him in a team that should have themselves in the Top 8 at least for the next few years, compared to coming to a team that might make the Top 8 if luck goes their way, but is odds against wont.
Are you serious? Blake would be on $500K tops at Canberra. We would give him at least $700K and he would be well worth it.

Latest posts