What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
I mean....Welch is a bit of a plodder. I'm not against signing the guy by any means, but he's hardly a massive improvement either.

He's basically going to be an improved Mannah replacement and competing with Alvaro for a spot (assuming he takes up his option).

I think you’re underestimating Welch a little. If he signs, Alvaro won’t be getting a look in.

Bazal

Post Whore
Just on our need for another edge forward, we definitely need to add one or two more to the squad or we are relying on untested juniors such as Stefano in the event of injuries. Not saying Stefano won't make it but he remains untried in the top grade.

I also reckon we need another hooker, so our remaining spend needs to be focused on Welch, RCG, 2 edge forwards and another hooker. 5 spots to replace Mannah, Ma'u, Moroea, Taka, McKilrick and Gower.

Not much on the market in the back row though.

Have to assume the club has a plan given the loss of Ma'u but it's hard to see what it might be given the options available.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Just on our need for another edge forward, we definitely need to add one or two more to the squad or we are relying on untested juniors such as Stefano in the event of injuries. Not saying Stefano won't make it but he remains untried in the top grade.

I also reckon we need another hooker, so our remaining spend needs to be focused on Welch, RCG, 2 edge forwards and another hooker. 5 spots to replace Mannah, Ma'u, Moroea, Taka, McKilrick and Gower.
BA seems to rate Taka so I can see him being re-signed as cover on the edge or centre.

Happy MEel

First Grade
I think you’re underestimating Welch a little. If he signs, Alvaro won’t be getting a look in.
Yep. Welch will wrestle better than anyone in our squad.

I seriously doubt an incumbent Origin prop will be competing with the likes of Alvaro. He walks into the team ahead of Evans, Terepo, Alvaro, Kaufusi and probably even with RCG. Paulo provides the attacking flair and Brown’s a mad merkin so edges him out in the middle pecking order.

Bazal

Post Whore

I reckon a lot of folks are overestimating Welch.

Welch is a 110m, 20 tackle a game guy. Last year Alvaro was a 110m, 40 tackle a game guy and even in probably the worst form of his career this year he's making more tackles than Welch. Welch only really consistently comes out on top in tackle busts.

Plus Storm players never play as well outside the system, so it's pretty easy to fall on the slightly cynical side. Again I'm not against the signing, but I'm also not wetting myself over the possibility. He's a solid player.

gustarny

Juniors

I’m hearing a certain ex origin forward who plays on the edge might be in our sites as well.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Crichton actually makes sense. Decent club player but out of his depth in origin. Roosters we’re looking to offload him earlier in the season.

As long as it’s not McQueen.