What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

TheRam

Coach
A couple of major issues in our own backyard, Blacktown Patrician Bros has Penrith junior recruitment heavily involved, we have just started to make inroads, but their sportmaster is ex Riff so they tend to be favoured.Even worse is Westfields Sports, where we lost our grip about 8 years ago, Manly hired their football coach into their junior rep system and he heavily influences boys to join Manly. Again that is now recognised , but a long way to get back to where the Eels should be.

Fairfield Pats are just rebuilding their league progamme, so we should try and influence them more.

The Penrith junior league is much stronger in numbers at 15 years and above, but still suffer from the big clubs sucking players into their teams and inevitably becoming effectively a 3/4 team comp, but they do have Div 2 and Div 3 teams which help.

If you want to look at successes in the Parra system it’s playing U18 on Friday nights giving them a free weekend (that age group like it), still not as strong as Penrith but getting better.

Overall there has been improvement since BA insisted that we show more emphasis in our juniors, but probably still 3/4 years behind Penrith. Juniors were an afterthought and declined once Brian Smith‘s JETS initiative wasnt progressed after he left, it’s back in place now but it had to rebuilt and refocussed. Looking at young players in Reggies and below, it’s promising .

Thanks for the info Delboy, but from what you are saying it seems we can do a lot better. All I am saying is if we can get the best to fix it, then we should. You say we are getting there, but I don't have faith after such a terrible history of getting it wrong. Our juniors have declined by more then 1000 and talent has dwindled to a trickle, so until I start seeing significant improvements in both these areas, sorry but it all just sounds like more noise. I see that there are some green shoots here and there, but (even though our numbers have declined) by the virtue of the size of our catchment area, we will always see some green shoots.

Results are what count in this business. Words are for the also rans and losers.

No excuses.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Michael Jennings is still listed as a player on the club's official profiles page.

NRL 2021: Michael Jennings wife Kirra Wilden, sexual assault case,  accusation

FFS!!! No excuses!!!

Delboy

First Grade
Thanks for the info Delboy, but from what you are saying it seems we can do a lot better. All I am saying is if we can get the best to fix it, then we should. You say we are getting there, but I don't have faith after such a terrible history of getting it wrong. Our juniors have declined by more then 1000 and talent has dwindled to a trickle, so until I start seeing significant improvements in both these areas, sorry but it all just sounds like more noise. I see that there are some green shoots here and there, but (even though our numbers have declined) by the virtue of the size of our catchment area, we will always see some green shoots.

Results are what count in this business. Words are for the also rans and losers.

No excuses.
One thing the Riff have covered is the attendance of selectors at Div 1 age group games. I managed Div U15 and U16s until this year, and at every game, rain, hail and shine, selectors attended , took photos of the team sheets, asked about any new players and provided some feedback on how they saw things.

Apparently, they comment weekly to the junior rep coaches and are asked to watch certain players. It seemed more professional than what I was used to for 20 odd years in the Parra jrl. Not a criticism as things may have been done without club officials seeing, but an observation.

Gronk

Staff member
I don't rate Aaron Woods.

However, I didn't really rate RCG, or Cartwright, either (despite Carty's obvious talent) - and BA proved me wrong.
I'm with you, but ..

17 runs, 151m, 58m post contact m, 31 tackles with 94% efficiency.

Not bad for $200k benchy

Gazzamatta

Coach
I'm with you, but ..

Not bad for $200k benchy

Am looking forward to watching The Emu today. High hopes for that kid.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'm with you, but ..

Not bad for $200k benchy

He'll get plenty more than $200k