What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Disagree there, think $500k is about $100k more than what we'll offer him. There is no talk anymore on $1m halves because the cap has gone down and I think player perceptions have been lowered as a result.

Also if I'm papa would I go to a shit club and get hammered each week for $500k or stay at Parra for $400k. I know which club I'd prefer.
Yeah, as good as he is, Papali'i isn't essential to our team and not worth a bidding war. The only players we should entertain paying overs for are Gutherson, Moses and Mahoney.

I would expect us to offer the likes of Papali'i maybe 10-20% under the top offer, and be prepared for him to leave. With most players, you're better off losing them than paying too much.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Nolan lol, i heard he once told a group of Eels fans at a charity lunch that he thought Terry Lamb was a better footballer than Brett Kenny. That's pretty much all you need to know about him.
I reckon Kenny was overrated. As soon as he wasn't surrounded by stars he was just another player. A winger in the 6 jersey. Lamb had a better club career than Kenny, but he was probably overrated too. He always played in strong teams. It's hard to judge merkins like that.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I reckon Kenny was overrated. As soon as he wasn't surrounded by stars he was just another player. A winger in the 6 jersey. Lamb had a better club career than Kenny, but he was probably overrated too. He always played in strong teams. It's hard to judge merkins like that.
I remember a game in i think Kenny's last season (93)he was playing busted with a shit team around him and he was playing lock, at about 80kgs ringing wet and he got us home it was an amazing performance from as champion well past his best. Kenny was a lot of things but overrated wasn't one of them. How did the immortal Lewis go at the Gold Coast????

Gazzamatta

Coach
I remember attending that infamous meeting where all the players were lined up out the front in the old auditorium by Spagnolo like norty schoolboys to take the heat of him and Kearney. Truth be told Nolan was the only speaker on the night who seemed to show intelligence. Or so I thought. I was obviously fooled by the others being so poor that they made him sound better than he was. That said it all seemed to work with Bennett in charge.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I remember a game in i think Kenny's last season (93)he was playing busted with a shit team around him and he was playing lock, at about 80kgs ringing wet and he got us home it was an amazing performance from as champion well past his best. Kenny was a lot of things but overrated wasn't one of them. How did the immortal Lewis go at the Gold Coast????
Also overrated at club level, but Kenny won eight Origins while Lewis won 21. It's Origin where he proved himself. Kenny had some good games at Origin level but Wally Lewis would've been close to man of the match in all 34 appearances.

Parramatta in the early 90s was a very ordinary team but those Gold Coast sides were atrocious. No comparison. I reckon the only Parramatta player from that period who wasn't overrated was Ray Price. Everyone else would've been like all these Storm players who go to weak clubs and turn ordinary. If you get enough 8/10 players in the same team they'll all look like 10s. It's true today and would've been true 30-40 years ago.

emjaycee

Coach
Nolan's strength in recruitment is identifying young talent and using his father figure image to convince the parents of the 15 and 16 year olds that the club he is recruiting for is the right one. Once the players arrive at the club, it is then the responsibility of the coaching staff to get the most out of the player and to develop them further. He worked under coaches Kearney and Stuart (as well as BA) at Parra so no wonder we couldn't convert many good young players. Brisbane has a shite load of talented young players brought to the club by Nolan... the coaching staff just can't get them to play well in FG.

When he was with us there were definitely slim-pickings within our juniors and so his success was probably limited by that, he did manage to land Semi and Manu for us though.

Nolan's weakness at both Parramatta and upon his return to Brisbane was accepting responsibility for roles that were outside his skillset.

hindy111

Post Whore
He’s a merkin and the way he reacted in New York under the influence of the truth serum is reprehensible. How he wasn’t rubbed out of the game is beyond me.

Nobody deserves a 2nd chance. Should of burnt him

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Also overrated at club level, but Kenny won eight Origins while Lewis won 21. It's Origin where he proved himself. Kenny had some good games at Origin level but Wally Lewis would've been close to man of the match in all 34 appearances.

Parramatta in the early 90s was a very ordinary team but those Gold Coast sides were atrocious. No comparison. I reckon the only Parramatta player from that period who wasn't overrated was Ray Price. Everyone else would've been like all these Storm players who go to weak clubs and turn ordinary. If you get enough 8/10 players in the same team they'll all look like 10s. It's true today and would've been true 30-40 years ago.
Don’t think Wally beat Kenny in an origin game when he played 6, for some reason they liked to play him out of position in the centre’s.

Avenger

Immortal
I reckon you’re an overrated contributor or an underrated genius or an albino Paki.

hindy111

Post Whore
He had a second chance at the Tigers, he was on about his 4th with the Donkeys.

Oh ok.
Brisbane I said are worse this year then last. I was asked why? Reason being thing went sour under the last coach and all the rumours. The coach was meant to be a big part of the problem.

I reckon Reynolds is a poor signing and same goes for the players they are chasing. Old has been. Reynolds will coo one more injury and be cooked. It is what happens to guys like him of that age. Their bones and body can't take it.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
This is true.... But perhaps teams targeted our other side more often in attacking raids.
When Drown is on the field they tend to target Moses (left side) which is the side Opacic was on until recently. He has also made a lot more tackles than the other centres I looked at.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
if you’re going to overrate Kenny, you may as well overrate everybody pre 90’s.
Possibly, but also looking at old video of Price, he seemed to play a style that didn't rely on other people making his job easier. Brett Kenny seemed very much like that style of player. Just about everything he did that was noteworthy was winning a one-on-one contest. Those opportunities are set up by the efforts of others.

Last edited:

Latest posts