What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Against Raiders BA knowing we needed points took off the guy who is perhaps our most likely to create a try assist.
He had to either take his son off or a forward and run dual hookers. It was a very poor time to give Rheed a rest. If you plan to rest himmin a tight game you donit earlier. You want your best 13 on in the last 10mins to close it out or give yourself the best chance of winning.
That was laughable the only guy who looked dangerous and capable of really getting us back into gets a rest while the coaches little hand break stays out there.

We should change our name from the Parramatta Eels to the Rouse Hill Rhino’s.

hindy111

Post Whore
Bringing on players for 7 mins to change a game is inspiring for the player and the team.
The other night he brought on Will Smith with about 20 to go and i thought that was a good move. In tandem with Reed, yes lets go.
No no no take Reed off and keep Jake on.
Unless Reed was injured I can't understand wtf that was about...we needed our most experienced players on.
Message should've been sent. Dylbro take control and Will support. We need to win this game otherwise we are up against it to make the top 4. Outside top 4 no team is any chance of winning the premiership.

He should of hooked Arthurs and Guth had to move to halves. W.Smith to fullback for the last 20mins of that one

hindy111

Post Whore
That was laughable the only guy who looked dangerous and capable of really getting us back into gets a rest while the coaches little hand break stays out there.

We should change our name from the Parramatta Eels to the Rouse Hill Rhino’s.

Rheed should of been rested if he needed one for 6-10mins earlier in game.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
There have ben games where the result has been decided with 20 to go. Yet he hasn't used that time to give guys on bench extra mins. I feel like that's the best time to give your starters a well deserved rest and your bench some good game time.
Tactically he’s inept, he’s a great man manager and respected and well liked by his players and has done well to build a strong squad but he is so limited it’s not funny. Instead of surrounding himself so sharp tactical minds he surrounds himself with dopes.

Last edited:

TheRam

Coach
Hynes is a Matt moylan but plays tough. Brilliant and one atorm will regret losing.

I also think @TheRam for this season we need explosion. Cartwright for mine needs 40- 50mins a game at 2nd row. Id split it so Papali'i has a 15 mins rest. He plays with such intensity that he becomes gassed and leaves holes in defense. Id then give him 15mins in the middle. And Matterson 10-15mins at lock.

Another idea I've had which BA should consider is at first change you bring on Bryce and Lane and put them both in the 2nd row. And move Matterson and Pappa into the middle. Both offer more strike out wide and better offloads. Sure Matterson gets the ball away but I am talking those real offloads that puts a guy into space, not a scrappy pass out the back that leads to nothing but a few extra meters.

With Papa and Matto in the middle you then have a real fast and mobile defensive line. Marata also comes on at some point while Jnr,Brown,Rcg rest. They would come off over a staggered 10mins but what it enables is fast expansive footy pushing the ball wide and going after the edges.

Another option is you play what I call the offload machine. Here you use the same set up except start with Marata or Kafusi. And bring Jnr on first change. Let them use their power game to bash and brutalise the defense.
You then have Lane,Bryce,Jnr,Matterson,Papali on at same time once defense is tired. And you promote the offload for a 15min all out attack prior to halftime.

One of our problems I think is we use the same attacking structures and our bench in a mundane fashion. They just to a straight swap and plug and play. To predictable.

All legitimate and worth a go options, but for one thing. The coach.

He doesn't want to play that way, so no matter what rearranging we did or do he will ask for the same effort first and chase the collision first type of play. Roll forward with our big advantageous forwards and then see what comes off the back of it. Hardly a thinking mans game plan. The coach is a very basic fundamentals type of guy. He seems to think that if you get that right, then the rest just happens naturally.

That might have worked for this team if we had a Semi or Hayne still at the end of it, but we have no where near that type of strike and power. So we need to be coached much better then we currently are in offensive structures.

I remember Braith Anasta saying that he was giving it to Parra during a game for being so ordinary against an interstate team a few years ago. Well to Anasta's horror, he had to catch the same plane home as BA and the Parra team. So he was dreading the confrontation when BA saw him, but to Anasta's surprise BA shook his hand and then asked Anasta if he could sit with him and show him what he would do to improve our team so they spent the flight home with Anasta showing him different tactics structures. Anasta thought that this was a great sign that BA was willing to ask for help and showed great character and humility. Well yes and no.

If he needs Anasta to give him tips on the run as to what is going wrong and how to fix it, then we have a coach that was/is not up to the standard that we would expect from an NRL coach. But secondly, he doesn't seem to have learnt much or surrounded himself with people that can give him fresh and new ideas when the ones that he has been implementing have failed to give the desired result, unless predictable unenterprising football is what he is aiming for of course.

BA needs to change course and really start to work on game plans that have our players thinking and adjusting to the circumstances that are in front of them. Not just hit it up and kick footy. We are in the NRL for fu*k sake, this is not park footy.

yy_cheng

Coach
Hynes is a Matt moylan but plays tough. Brilliant and one atorm will regret losing.

I also think @TheRam for this season we need explosion. Cartwright for mine needs 40- 50mins a game at 2nd row. Id split it so Papali'i has a 15 mins rest. He plays with such intensity that he becomes gassed and leaves holes in defense. Id then give him 15mins in the middle. And Matterson 10-15mins at lock.

Another idea I've had which BA should consider is at first change you bring on Bryce and Lane and put them both in the 2nd row. And move Matterson and Pappa into the middle. Both offer more strike out wide and better offloads. Sure Matterson gets the ball away but I am talking those real offloads that puts a guy into space, not a scrappy pass out the back that leads to nothing but a few extra meters.

With Papa and Matto in the middle you then have a real fast and mobile defensive line. Marata also comes on at some point while Jnr,Brown,Rcg rest. They would come off over a staggered 10mins but what it enables is fast expansive footy pushing the ball wide and going after the edges.

Another option is you play what I call the offload machine. Here you use the same set up except start with Marata or Kafusi. And bring Jnr on first change. Let them use their power game to bash and brutalise the defense.
You then have Lane,Bryce,Jnr,Matterson,Papali on at same time once defense is tired. And you promote the offload for a 15min all out attack prior to halftime.

One of our problems I think is we use the same attacking structures and our bench in a mundane fashion. They just to a straight swap and plug and play. To predictable.
Is why I think jnr should be on the bench

Usually he doesn't start offloading until late in the 1st half.i get that so they use him as a barge machine to earn the right. But he gets knackered as pou says and then misses tackles or is slow to cover a hole.

He should come on as a lock and allowed to roam wide and everywhere ball playing

I trust him with offloads and passing more than I do carty

Let kafusi or even lane do the barge machine work at kick off

TheRam

Coach
I don't think so. If we are a smart club we will always be in the mix with the odd fast rebuild year. Like under Brian Smith. You'd have a good side for a year or two followed by a top side for 2yrs and a qyrd bit of a rebuild.
Over the 5yr period you have 2 sides capable of pushing for a title/top 5 spot. And 2yrs where you can't win it but are competitive and finish 6th-10th.

Biggest mistakes sides do is stick with the same squad to long just to try and get one more solid year where you're maybe going to finish 6th -8th and never a genuine threat. Problem is they try and hold on and it ends up a slow decline. The rebuild then takes 5yrs.

Smart sides like the Rooster blow it up fast and are ready to rock n roll fast. Like a band aid. Right off

Totally agree.

Chipmunk

Coach
We’d use the least amount of decoys than any other side, well that’s what it seems like.

But but but all team attack similar…….. maybe the players are just too lazy to run decoys???
We're 11th on decoys, about 50% lower than the team with the most, which just happens to be, oh look the team leading the f**king comp!

Panthers are 3rd, Souths 4th

Pazza

First Grade
Let kafusi or even lane do the barge machine work at kick off

i actually think jnr does his best work when he does the barge work.

When he forgets the offload and just runs as hard as possible he doesnt just bend the line, he puts cracks in it.

yy_cheng

Coach
i actually think jnr does his best work when he does the barge work.

When he forgets the offload and just runs as hard as possible he doesnt just bend the line, he puts cracks in it.
I get that but we don't have enough alternative attacking options

We have Moses bomb, spread to gutho to sivo

Occasionally, reed passing to forwards and now I do like nrown short passes to another forward on his hip.

Jnr can be such an x factor. He can be Artie beetson like and out wide, he could be kikau like on smaller men

Someone else can do the grunt work

Pazza

First Grade
I get that but we don't have enough alternative attacking options

We have Moses bomb, spread to gutho to sivo

Occasionally, reed passing to forwards and now I do like nrown short passes to another forward on his hip.

Jnr can be such an x factor. He can be Artie beetson like and out wide, he could be kikau like on smaller men

Someone else can do the grunt work

i agree with the lack of creativity this team has but the grunt work is the foundation on which a good attacking game is built on. Good grunt work leads to better field position, quicker play the balls, unorganized defensive lines, space for the halves and then a better kicking game.

id hate to see Jnr turn into on of these big men who just want to pass and offload all the time. it ruins all skillful forwards just look at players like Tony Williams or David Taylor.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Have you seen how he has been playing. He directly contributed to their losses since he got there with some of the bonehead and poor decisions he has executed.

I really don't understand the Cowboys recruitment with both him and Tom Dearden. Dearden too has been woeful at the Cowboys and has contributed to them losing games since arriving.

I don't get it at all. At the time of pre signing both these players, Nicho Hynes was still available and being offered to clubs. By all accounts he signed with the Sharks for around $600K. Now I am sure that Townsend signed for at least $500K and Dearden around $300K. Well it doesn't take a Rhodes scholar to work out if you combined their money you have Hynes money and then some.

So instead they sign two duds for the price of one excellent superstar? Jeez! And don't tell me that they couldn't tell that both Townsend and Dearden would be this bad and Hynes this good. I could and I'm sure I'm not alone. Oh and Pou always says that coaches and their staff know way more and better then us dumb, dumb supporters. Well here is a perfect example of them not knowing jack sh*t and getting it totally wrong.

Even if they made a better offer then the Sharks for Hynes and he rejected them for the Craig Fitzgibbon factor, they still should not have signed those two. They are terrible. But I would have made an offer for Hynes that he would have found way to hard to refuse. Around $750-800K would have gotten him for sure and then they would have had a great combination of S. Drinkwater and Hynes that will only get better.

Oh well, lets watch this space next year. Something tells me it won't end to well for those two duds, unless Drinkwater's game improves to the level that he overcomes them and their poor moments. If he can become more consistent and play at close to his best for entire games then he may not need them to do all that much. But if he remains similar to the way he is now and fades in and out of games and they need for either of those two turkeys to be the dominate play maker, then they will struggle.

What bad recruiting. They just stuffed up their halves. It will hold them back unless they somehow like a magician unearth a new play maker from out of the their cowboys hat.

Oh dear, after writing the above I thought to look up what was reported at the time of their signing and price. My God, even worse then what I thought.

Townsend, Cronulla’s only premiership-winning halfback, announced on Wednesday he will take up a three-year deal with North Queensland from 2022, believed to be worth in excess of $2 million.

Townsend's new contract sits closer to the $2.4 million mark over the same time frame, raking Townsend in around $800,000-a-season.

Tom Dearden will be leaving the club for rivals the North Queensland Cowboys next season on a three-year deal worth an estimated $1.1 million.

Cronulla-Sharks has signed a three-year, $ 1.8 million contract with Melbourne Storm star Nicho Hynes to begin at the start of the 2022 NRL season.
Don't compare a player's form at Melbourne to their form at the Cowboys. Enough merkins have moved between the two clubs for that to be obvious. Look at Jordan McLean.

As for comparing players at different positions, do you even watch rugby league? Townsend (and Dearden) were signed for their kicking and defence in the line. Hynes does neither of those things at the Storm. Delete your account.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Still 3 years away, isn't he? By the time he is available again, if we haven't sorted out our outside backs issue, then I dare say we may have lost our premiership window.
f**ken 'premiership windows', do you even know what it means? It's not some celestial phenomenon that only occurs once every 400 years. If you build your roster sustainably, like our club is trying to do, you're in a near constant premiership window, only dropping out for a year or two every few years.

And even in a premiership window there's no guarantee you'll win a comp, because there are other clubs in their premiership window at the same time.

Latest posts