What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

emjaycee

Coach
I reckon the big teams target certain opposition players .... JWH for sure .... maybe RCG fits that too
That was my first thought too. Obviously the better the side, the better their defence, but also no doubt the better their identification of threats and ability to shut the threat down. Since round 2 or 3 Papali'i has been seen as a threat and no doubt gets a lot of coverage on opposition tip sheets and video.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think you are being pretty harsh on Nrown ..... he has more energy than pretty much every other forward except maybe Papalii .... our forwards can tend to be trundlers alot of the time .... if we need a merkin to give us a lift, its usually Nrown
Interestingly, our two best attacking seasons since Nrown came to the club (2019 and 2021), his PCM per game were much lower than usual:

YearNrown PCM per gameEels points per gameRankingDifference from leader
201749.220.78th-5.7 ppg
20185615.616th-8.7 ppg
201937.622.23rd-4.1 ppg
202059.419.69th-8 ppg
202142.126.95th-9.3 ppg

Chipmunk

Coach
Good analysis. Interesting that Trbojevic goes so much better against the better sides but it probably points to him being used differently in those games, and also why he's a first choice Origin forward. It's unsurprising the two edge forwards (Papali'i and Crichton) have such a PCM reduction against the better defences, but surprising that RCG and JWH suffer such a drop off. Do we blame their coaches or their playmakers?
I suggest neither.

My point would be that the Papali'i runs obviously aren't always as effective against the top sides, so maybe we need to do more than just give him the ball to try and run over the top of the opposition in order to be more effective against these sides.

strider

Post Whore
Interestingly, our two best attacking seasons since Nrown came to the club (2019 and 2021), his PCM per game were much lower than usual:

YearNrown PCM per gameEels points per gameRankingDifference from leader
201749.220.78th-5.7 ppg
20185615.616th-8.7 ppg
201937.622.23rd-4.1 ppg
202059.419.69th-8 ppg
202142.126.95th-9.3 ppg
more ball playing, less mad merkining into the line?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
more ball playing, less mad merkining into the line?
Definitely fewer runs per game. As for more ball playing, this is the first year he's been in the top 50 for engaging the line:

YearRuns per gameRankLine engagedRank
201717.3=10thDunnoNot in top 50
201817.011thDunnoNot in top 50
201915.830thDunnoNot in top 50
202017.323rdDunnoNot in top 50
202116.4=20th3.0=39th

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I suggest neither.

My point would be that the Papali'i runs obviously aren't always as effective against the top sides, so maybe we need to do more than just give him the ball to try and run over the top of the opposition in order to be more effective against these sides.
You might be right, though I will say it's not like we have Tedesco out the back to make the most of Papali'i's decoy runs.

Gronk

Staff member
Still 3 years away, isn't he? By the time he is available again, if we haven't sorted out our outside backs issue, then I dare say we may have lost our premiership window.
Good clubs don't have a window, they just have bad injury years.

butch82

Juniors
I’m starting to think that BA is a solid coach but just an inferior version of Terry Fearnley. Which is why history may repeat itself and we should try and jag someone like Jack Gibson way back in ‘81.

Wayne Bennett?
i was talking about this with the old man.if arthur doesnt make it past week 2 of the finals , id make a phone call to wayne n see if he be interested for 3yr deal.
Brad has us playing more consistent but needs to show improvement this year or he gets tapped on the shoulder to make way for someone who can take us to the next level

gaffer

Juniors
i was talking about this with the old man.if arthur doesnt make it past week 2 of the finals , id make a phone call to wayne n see if he be interested for 3yr deal.
Brad has us playing more consistent but needs to show improvement this year or he gets tapped on the shoulder to make way for someone who can take us to the next level
and that would probably be the only way that kidwell and murphy would get the punt

TheRam

Coach
We attack very differently to how we did in 2017. We shifted early more than any team in the comp, and had some very good shape on the short side that other teams copied. But the ruck focus in 2018 meant that we needed to attack through the middle, because teams were all offside out wide where the ref wasn't looking. This proves Arthur's is able to adapt, but you have to play to your strengths. Trying to copy other teams with more/different strengths won't work.

Like I have said before, almost everybody else sees that our attack is way to one dimensional but you and the coach. If we don't change this, we will lose the big games again this year. Bashing our big boys all year will guarantee this and plays into the hands of our competition.

Your defense of our coach is singularly one dimensional as his coaching and just as clueless and boring.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Like I have said before, almost everybody else sees that our attack is way to one dimensional but you and the coach. If we don't change this, we will lose the big games again this year. Bashing our big boys all year will guarantee this and plays into the hands of our competition.

Your defense of our coach is singularly one dimensional as his coaching and just as clueless and boring.
One thing you can’t accuse Pou of is not chasing the collision.

Latest posts