What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

hindy111

Post Whore
The side we have is not able to compete with your top ones. So how do we make changes? We are about 20%-25% off the top 4 sides. I feel like when your within 10% you are capable of beating them perhaps 1/3 games.
I feel our packs strong enough but if we where able to find a strike 2nd rower that would improve thing. Not a great deal as we are well served in this area. Perhaps 2-3% gain.

Outside backs - Certainly an area where we can improve.
Sivo=Lazy Fergo=Cooked Opacic= Ineffective.
Everyone thinks Blake is the problem. He has been excellent of late and about the only guy I'd want in the backline.
I reckon we can make another 5% - 7% improvement here. At their best our wingers are great. But on their off days they are slow,lazy and mistake riddled.
Opacic is just boring and bog average.

The bench is quite strong. It should be even better next year as guys like Greig and Hollis will start to push for NRL. Kafusi should go up another level also.
Marata,Kafusi,Lane,Bryce,W.Smith,Hollis,Greig is a fair rotation. We do not need to add anyone and should still gain a few percent.
Based on my analysis we can get about 9%-15% improvement from our squad before looking at the spine.

Moses and Mahoney are doing their jobs. That leaves Gutherson and D.Brown. We can improve 5-7% here. But that involves Brown improving and Guth replaced.

And lastly the coaching staff. Which I would say will give us 5% also.

So that is my break down. Just replacing BA won't make a whole lot of difference. You can see how we are behind in other areas. A new coach MAY improve us 5% at best.

My positive spin would be that without any signings our bench should go up 2%
Penisini may add 2%. That is 4% While D.Brown can give us another 3-4%. Potential 7% improvement.

Cloeel

Juniors
The side we have is not able to compete with your top ones. So how do we make changes? We are about 20%-25% off the top 4 sides. I feel like when your within 10% you are capable of beating them perhaps 1/3 games.
I feel our packs strong enough but if we where able to find a strike 2nd rower that would improve thing. Not a great deal as we are well served in this area. Perhaps 2-3% gain.

Everyone thinks Blake is the problem. He has been excellent of late and about the only guy I'd want in the backline.
I reckon we can make another 5% - 7% improvement here. At their best our wingers are great. But on their off days they are slow,lazy and mistake riddled.

The bench is quite strong. It should be even better next year as guys like Greig and Hollis will start to push for NRL. Kafusi should go up another level also.
Marata,Kafusi,Lane,Bryce,W.Smith,Hollis,Greig is a fair rotation. We do not need to add anyone and should still gain a few percent.
Based on my analysis we can get about 9%-15% improvement from our squad before looking at the spine.

Moses and Mahoney are doing their jobs. That leaves Gutherson and D.Brown. We can improve 5-7% here. But that involves Brown improving and Guth replaced.

So that is my break down. Just replacing BA won't make a whole lot of difference. You can see how we are behind in other areas. A new coach MAY improve us 5% at best.

Penisini may add 2%. That is 4% While D.Brown can give us another 3-4%. Potential 7% improvement.

I reckon one of our biggest problems is our lack of quality ball distribution to Matterson and Papali'i.

If we can get our 11 & 12 more depth running onto the ball later in the sets i reckon it would help us a lot.

So often we are seeing both edge back rowers receive the ball with minimal depth/room and already swarmed with 2-3 defenders.

IFR33K

Coach

Not many would of rated manly against the top sides. If fit, they’re maybe the only team outside the top 4 that could do damage. Roosters too with their makeshift team have done well.

the eels have a few useless players in the team, but not sure we’re playing to potential.

hindy111

Post Whore
Not many would of rated manly against the top sides. If fit, they’re maybe the only team outside the top 4 that could do damage. Roosters too with their makeshift team have done well.

the eels have a few useless players in the team, but not sure we’re playing to potential.

We can improve with better coaching. Maybe 5% Maybe they can get more put of D.Brown also. But they won't improve guys like Opacic,Sivo,Fergo,Gutherson. They are at their limits imo.
Tom played 7 games last year. Manly also in 8 of games won by 4 points or less only won 3. Lucky sides win 5 and lose 3.
Schuster has added a lot as has Foran. So that and a fit Turbo who is beat player in game is 3 x strike playmakers.

Last edited:

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I reckon one of our biggest problems is our lack of quality ball distribution to Matterson and Papali'i.

If we can get our 11 & 12 more depth running onto the ball later in the sets i reckon it would help us a lot.

So often we are seeing both edge back rowers receive the ball with minimal depth/room and already swarmed with 2-3 defenders.
Yep definitely a problem:

- Nrown, does a lot of our passing from the middle but gets the ball to deep, thus when he does pass the defence is already up on the edges. Needs to get it flatter…
- Paulo is used as well but shouldn’t be doing it. He should be focusing on metres first then either quick play the ball or off load (and occasionally pass at the line ). Thus creating more room for the edges
- papa in the middle is a good move. He doesn’t pass/offload much so on the edge he makes metres but doesn’t really create much for his backs. But he is great at PCM/very hard to put down and mobile. A better skill set for the middle at the moment for us. His runs (drawing in players) in the middle should lead to good metres / quick player the balls, giving the edges more room.
- hopefully Cartwright gets more time too, can create plenty on the edge
- support play has been shitty recently too, making as easier to defend. Thus less room created for the edges

IFR33K

Coach
We can improve with better coaching. Maybe 5% Maybe they can get more put of D.Brown also. But they won't improve guys like Opacic,Sivo,Fergo,Gutherson. They are at their limits imo.
Tom played 7 games last year. Manly also in 8 of games won by 4 points or less only won 3. Lucky sides win 5 and lose 3.
Schuster has added a lot as has Foran. So that and a fit Turbo who is beat player in game is 3 x strike playmakers.

A decent half will improve the men around him. Especially his back rower. Not sure what’s going on with Drown. Yes he’s an exceptional defender but a half’s primary job is to create points or opportunities. He’s doing neither. No passing game, and no running game. That limits our attack. Teams know we don’t pose a threat on that side. This team has plenty of improvement in it, just not sure we have the right personnel to lift them.

Gazzamatta

Coach
A decent half will improve the men around him. Especially his back rower. Not sure what’s going on with Drown. Yes he’s an exceptional defender but a half’s primary job is to create points or opportunities. He’s doing neither. No passing game, and no running game. That limits our attack. Teams know we don’t pose a threat on that side. This team has plenty of improvement in it, just not sure we have the right personnel to lift them.
Read above. BA has Nrown and Paulo playing that role. You and I may not agree with this but that dosent make it Drowns fault. BAs role for Drown is to run and tackle. Deskilling.

IFR33K

Coach
Read above. BA has Nrown and Paulo playing that role. You and I may not agree with this but that dosent make it Drowns fault. BAs role for Drown is to run and tackle. Deskilling.

Oh there’s no disagreeing, nor is it the fault of drown. But Nrown and paulo as talented as they are, aren’t halves. Not having a ‘genuine’ half on one edge is having huge ramifications on the team. I never watched Drown as a junior, was he not capable or talented enough?

Gazzamatta

Coach
Oh there’s no disagreeing, nor is it the fault of drown. But Nrown and paulo as talented as they are, aren’t halves. Not having a ‘genuine’ half on one edge is having huge ramifications on the team. I never watched Drown as a junior, was he not capable or talented enough?
The kids a footballer. Im sure most will agree. My recollection of him in lower grades was that he was way too good for those grades. He could do anything. He was even a decent goal kicker.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

That only adds up to 85% ffs!

gaffer

Juniors
The kids a footballer. Im sure most will agree. My recollection of him in lower grades was that he was way too good for those grades. He could do anything. He was even a decent goal kicker.
are they waiting for the right time to unleash him