What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Avenger

Immortal

Jimmy Smith Had Some Strong Words To Say About The Parramatta Eels And Where They're Placed! 11/08/21​

THE JIMMY SMITH SHOW

I only caught the introduction but he makes some good points. As a fullback Gutherson statistically is placed at 11 when it comes to try assists etc.

There are better options available and when he compared to the fact that Turbo is on $1.1m, Mitchell on $800k and Manu on much less you start seeing that he is either out of form, overrated, having an average season or no longer a fullback.

I appreciate he gives us plenty of energy but maybe other players can too if he thinks he’s still a fullback at a much lower price.

I’m happy to keep him at the right price but his days at fullback are numbered.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
are they waiting for the right time to unleash him
Think they are waiting for the super cool moves to be ready. Once they are unleash hell on Bea’s signal!!

300 GIF

Johnny88

Juniors
Eels talk for about 18mins , disscus Gutho, O'Neil, B.A. Retention and recruitment,

lingard

Coach
The side we have is not able to compete with your top ones. So how do we make changes? We are about 20%-25% off the top 4 sides. I feel like when your within 10% you are capable of beating them perhaps 1/3 games.
I feel our packs strong enough but if we where able to find a strike 2nd rower that would improve thing. Not a great deal as we are well served in this area. Perhaps 2-3% gain.

Outside backs - Certainly an area where we can improve.
Sivo=Lazy Fergo=Cooked Opacic= Ineffective.
Everyone thinks Blake is the problem. He has been excellent of late and about the only guy I'd want in the backline.
I reckon we can make another 5% - 7% improvement here. At their best our wingers are great. But on their off days they are slow,lazy and mistake riddled.
Opacic is just boring and bog average.

The bench is quite strong. It should be even better next year as guys like Greig and Hollis will start to push for NRL. Kafusi should go up another level also.
Marata,Kafusi,Lane,Bryce,W.Smith,Hollis,Greig is a fair rotation. We do not need to add anyone and should still gain a few percent.
Based on my analysis we can get about 9%-15% improvement from our squad before looking at the spine.

Moses and Mahoney are doing their jobs. That leaves Gutherson and D.Brown. We can improve 5-7% here. But that involves Brown improving and Guth replaced.

And lastly the coaching staff. Which I would say will give us 5% also.

So that is my break down. Just replacing BA won't make a whole lot of difference. You can see how we are behind in other areas. A new coach MAY improve us 5% at best.

My positive spin would be that without any signings our bench should go up 2%
Penisini may add 2%. That is 4% While D.Brown can give us another 3-4%. Potential 7% improvement.
Disagree about Opacec. I think he's had a few distractions lately (brother being murdered). Also, he was better on the left side. He's a damn good centre. Waqa has not been 'excellent' - he's just been 'threatening', but still with no real impact. I agree about the two wingers, though. Disagree about Gutherson. He's our best player. he's not the best fullback in the NRL - but he's our best player. Why has everyone suddenly turned against him?
We need a new coach. We have a squad that's good enough to beat the likes of Easts and Manly at least. But the players are getting bogged down and frustrated with Arthur's game plans.

hindy111

Post Whore
Disagree about Opacec. I think he's had a few distractions lately (brother being murdered). Also, he was better on the left side. He's a damn good centre. Waqa has not been 'excellent' - he's just been 'threatening', but still with no real impact. I agree about the two wingers, though. Disagree about Gutherson. He's our best player. he's not the best fullback in the NRL - but he's our best player. Why has everyone suddenly turned against him?
We need a new coach. We have a squad that's good enough to beat the likes of Easts and Manly at least. But the players are getting bogged down and frustrated with Arthur's game plans.

Opacic has zero speed, no turn of foot, no step and not very strong. He doesn't skittle the defense.
Gutherson is a great player. I'd put Mahoney and Moses above him however.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I get what Jimmy was saying, but that stat is not correct. Gutho is 7th for TA (16) for all players only behind fullbacks Tommy (21) and Hynes (17)…..

Tedesco is 13th (with 14)

that's the problem with some of this podcasts, they talk some shit