What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

hindy111

Post Whore
I’ve heard that we chose him over Stefano. In hindsight, did we make the right choice? In their first year I thought we did, now I’m not so sure.

I think Stefano's ceiling is origin. I am unsure with Kafusi. I think maybe better then average prop but not in origin mix. But he is very young. N.Brown was a nobody till he hit 24.

Delboy

First Grade
He is not on that. That’s a bullshit amount.
He’s on approx $320k pa, Tigpies were desperate and needed a big, young prop. We came back with a decent offer but he had already signed . There are a few that were offered close to decent first grade cash prior to really showing it, Curran, Bondi Odo, Tapieri, and then others offered development deals while we making decisions like Kei, Keppie , Mooney etc.

Led to believe things have improved with a new structure at the club, have to see how that works out.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I would think it is probably a good thing to have assistants that are capable and have aspirations to be a head coach.
Does winning prove your assistant coaches are good? Weak NRL clubs seem to think so. Strong clubs seem to be able to replace them fairly easily.

Soto

Bench
I thought Stefano accepted $850k or thereabouts over 3 years not $500k a season.
Anyhow Stefano v Kaufusi is an interesting one.
I think it showed by the end of year more game time and adjusting to the rigours of 1st grade footy was exactly what Stefano needed. He was very impressive in a very poor Tigers outfit.
Kaufusi has shown promise and i like him. The problem is that he doesn't get enough game time. His hands sometimes do let him down and looks like some HIA issues however he is a keeper. He will only get better. I do hope next year BA has a better use of the bench because some games it was horrid...
Giving some blokes 5 -8 minutes is deflating..hardly developing if u get sweet FA minutes.
The front row bench spots will be interesting with Makatoa, Kaufusi, Greig, Rodwell, Hollis and Nuikore if not playing 2nd row or centre.
Healthy competition next year and no room for complacency

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I thought Stefano accepted $850k or thereabouts over 3 years not $500k a season.
When things are reported inconsistently like this, assuming it's not bullshit, it's because contracts for young players are usually back ended, both because they player is expected to improve over the life of the contract, but also because probably every NRL club is full of back-ended contracts and bringing them back into parity requires sacrificing a year or two. Inertia and demand for results means when you bring in a $300k player (for example) at the last minute (e.g. in January) you can probably only give him $150k in the first year and maybe $250k in the second. The balance has to go into the final year of a three year contract. By the time you get to that year you are having to back-end new recruits in a similar way. The cycle of life continues.

Latest posts