What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

King-Gutho94

Coach
Would've gone better with an Origin debutant you reckon? Does the fact they won game three prove Ben Hunt is the best hooker in Origin? You merkins have a lot to learn about analysis.
Well in terms of the overall result it wouldn't have made too much difference. DCE was rubbish and there side wasn't near the blues level. Holmes at fullback and Kyle Feldt on the wing were out of there depth as well.

But realistically McCullough only got picked due to injuries with Grant and Mahoney.

The highest rating i could find online for McCullough given out was a 6/10.

Mahoney would have played game 2 if he was fit.

In fact he should have played game 1.

Green stuffed up by starting Harry Grant who imo isn't a proven starting number 9 yet and leaving Mahoney out. QLD point of difference could have been Grant coming off the bench like last year decider. Even Cameron Smith said QLD should have gone that way.

Ben hunt is probably a better player at dummy half then halfback anyway especially since the 2015 GF. Not saying he is the best but is a better player there.

He is an easy target because of his pay packet and he dropped the GF that everyone remembers him for

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
But this is still just arguing over one f**king player, coulda woulda shoulda. The fact is only two of our players ended up getting picked, and for only four games total. The best three clubs in the comp this year (Storm, Panthers, Bunnies) blew us out of the water for players picked and number of games. And all those clubs also had coulda/woulda/shoulda players of their own. Splitting hairs about Reed Mahoney is pointless. It all comes out in the wash.

lucablight

First Grade
Nobody said it was the be all and end all. It's dishonest of you to imply otherwise. Obviously some Kiwi (or even other) reps would walk into Origin, but these are all subjective measures. If we're measuring dicks we need to go with objective facts, which means things like Origin and finals appearances.
And how do you know they were at their best in those handful of games? The fact is you don't. Which is why you can't judge anything on such a small sample. Like Gould said on Twitter in response to criticism of his "Eels are only 10% chance of beating Penrith" comment. That game where we narrowly lost might've been our 1 in 10 shot of catching Penrith on an off day. We just don't know. You certainly f**king don't. So let's stick to facts like their greater number of Origin picks that year, or their superior combined experience levels in finals+Origin.
So is it the be all and end all or not? You can’t have it both ways. You can’t say it’s dishonest of me to accuse you of saying it is and then say it’s the only way to objectively compare teams and literally make it the be all and end all. If you’re not willing to use other criteria then you are by definition making origin representation your be all and end all.
I like Gus but it’s pretty obvious he talks up the Panthers because of his role in helping construct that team. I don’t know how you can say that was our 1 in 10 game of catching Penrith on an off day. Last year we were one of only two teams to beat them. This season if Moses kicks the penalty goal after the full time siren we beat them again and if we had a bit more attacking finesse we would have beaten them in week 2 of the finals. You say it as if we get throroughly outclassed whenever we play them. Or do they have a lot of off days whenever they play against us? Isn’t it funny how barely anyone in the media gave us a chance this season and yet we’re going in with virtually the same team next season and now some of the pundits are saying we are in a premiership window when we weren’t before?

lucablight

First Grade
Would've gone better with an Origin debutant you reckon? Does the fact they won game three prove Ben Hunt is the best hooker in Origin? You merkins have a lot to learn about analysis.
Game 3 certainly proved that Hunt is better than McCullough. He was the best player on the field that night and he only got a start because McCullough was injured. By your metric any player behind McCullough would be a non factor in terms of measuring the quality of a team so there’s no way Hunt could have been better. Yet he was. So much for “objective” criteria.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So is it the be all and end all or not? You can’t have it both ways. You can’t say it’s dishonest of me to accuse you of saying it is and then say it’s the only way to objectively compare teams and literally make it the be all and end all. If you’re not willing to use other criteria then you are by definition making origin representation your be all and end all.
I like Gus but it’s pretty obvious he talks up the Panthers because of his role in helping construct that team. I don’t know how you can say that was our 1 in 10 game of catching Penrith on an off day. Last year we were one of only two teams to beat them. This season if Moses kicks the penalty goal after the full time siren we beat them again and if we had a bit more attacking finesse we would have beaten them in week 2 of the finals. You say it as if we get throroughly outclassed whenever we play them. Or do they have a lot of off days whenever they play against us? Isn’t it funny how barely anyone in the media gave us a chance this season and yet we’re going in with virtually the same team next season and now some of the pundits are saying we are in a premiership window when we weren’t before?
Feel free to come up with some objective measures of your own. I've given you two. You think our Origin representation in 2021 relative to other teams was meaningless, and also that our combined finals and Origin experience is likewise not indicative of anything. I'm keen to know if there are any objective measures at all that you could use to disprove my assertion that you overrate our players.

TheRam

Coach
Didn't the Raiders re-sign him for multiple years? He's probably not on f**k all as you imply.

Before they re-signed him, they offered him to 2 clubs and they declined. He was on his initial deal at the time.

That's when we should have stepped in and we could have had a real speedster on very low wage. Now that he has shown he will probably be Papenhuyzen like, and if he fulfills it, he will be worth a mint. It wasn't like we couldn't see we needed speed and spark at the time.

Many including me were screaming at the time that we needed speed big time. From where I'm sitting so often our club can't see the bleeding obvious till it is way to late. They are reactive not proactive. That needs to change if we want to be the best.

Last edited:

TheRam

Coach
McCullough is more reliable and less injury prone than Mahoney. He also brings a lot more experience, especially in big games. All valuable qualities in the spine. Obviously he's starting to get old, but he's still a lot younger than Cam365.

You are ridiculous. Less injury prone? Yeah sure mate, why don't you throw in that McCullough has a bigger dick too.

Really Pou sometimes you're such an idiot.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
The sample size is too small, but in the last 3 years, Rheed has played 64 games. McCullough 31. before that McCullough was very reliable and Rheed was a teenager.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Before they re-signed him, they offered him to 2 clubs and they declined. He was on his initial deal at the time.

That's when we should have stepped in and we could have had a real speedster on very low wage. Now that he has shown he will probably be Papenhuyzen like, and if he fulfills it, he will be worth a mint. It wasn't like we couldn't see we needed speed and spark at the time.

Many including me were screaming at the time that we needed speed big time. From where I'm sitting so often our club can't see the bleeding obvious till it is way to late. They are reactive not proactive. That needs to change if we want to be the best.
If we want to be the best?? If BA is the answer to any question of us being the best I’ll give up. Being the baldest maybe.

Tooooks

Bench
Weren't we looking at Starling ? WTF is wrong with these people ?

From what I can gather, Starling and his mates were refused entry to a central coast bar, they carried on and threatened/intimidated the security manager. Probably won’t lose his job. Dumb though.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If we want to be the best?? If BA is the answer to any question of us being the best I’ll give up. Being the baldest maybe.
Of course we're not the best, but if you think Arthur's is the reason you've got cause and effect around the wrong way. The reason we have a good coach rather than a great one is because we're not the best.

Latest posts