What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

yy_cheng

Coach
Yes its funny how all these guys signed up within 3 weeks of being able to.
They could of left it untill after Christmas or even middle of next season. I dont think any where that loyal or fussed on staying and wanted the coin. Offers come and they took it.
They could get an injury like welsch. So sign up with healthy

Soto

Bench
Wasn't Reed just chasing the coin?
Dolphins already confirmed that when they thought they had Brandon Smith they told him thanks but no thanks...
Next best offer financially was the dogs hence the decision to sign with them...let's just hope he does a great job when he takes the field for us next year. Once he's playing for anyone else then I'm just not interested in what he does and how he performs..

Gazzamatta

Coach
I dunno mate, maybe I am just a looser.
Awwwww! Dont let him upset you too much. Hookers are a dime a dozen buddy. His defection has surprised everyone. Just business I know but his feels personal. Live and learn. My spider senses tell me there is much more to this but what would I know. My first shout mate.

lingard

Coach
But we do sign and re-sign players, and we don't have a team of nobodies, so why would you think we only want nuffies on the cheap? We clearly have a process that has acquired and retained quality players in the past. Why would it suddenly stop working? More to the point, why would it mean we never lose good players? The point of a salary cap is when you develop enough players so that your squad has plenty on unders, you will lose some when they come off contract. Maybe you can prolong things with back-ended contracts but eventually you'll end up in salary cap hell like Canterbury's past few years, or Manly after Hasler left. Or the Cowboys since 2017.
I said there needs to be a balance. You can't just stick rigidly to a set price on every player and not budge. You have to pay overs for some players.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Stefano will play origin this year imo. Very good kid and one we f**ked up on. Losing Mahoney for 650k is fair enough or Papali'i. But Stefano for 270k was a steal.
The improvement in his game from rnd 1 to rnd 25 was huge. When kids develop that fast they are special.

Compare him to Kafusi who has had 3 seasons and only making baby steps each year.
No way SU would have gotten the game time at Parra to impress anyone. Covid aside, he would have barely laced on a boot.

lingard

Coach
Maybe the ones we've kept (including the ones yet to sign anywhere) are the ones we really need to keep. Players signing with rival clubs in f**king November don't seem to have the level of loyalty to contribute much to your club culture.
Two thing: One; I hope you are right and that the club has chosen wisely. Two; if three very good players aren't being loyal to us, could it be that they think their game will improve more under a different coaching regime? Specifically I'm thinking that BA tends to rein in a player's natural creativity in favour of a power game.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Two thing: One; I hope you are right and that the club has chosen wisely. Two; if three very good players aren't being loyal to us, could it be that they think their game will improve more under a different coaching regime? Specifically I'm thinking that BA tends to rein in a player's natural creativity in favour of a power game.
All three players improved immensely at our club. How could they think they'll go better anywhere else?

Delboy

First Grade
Strangely , just watched some mini games in Foxtel today, certainly didn’t seem that the players were restricted. Lots of movement and ball playing.
The narrative that the Eels only have a power game is so dumb, the need to create space is due to the forwards winning the battle, hence the coach and others referring to winning that power game.
Just take the time to refresh and look at the games again, surprised how the ball was moved around .

lucablight

First Grade
If they're not leaders how could you say they've built their side around them? Otherwise they are just good players that they have in their team. Every team has good players and the game plan will reflect that. If you lose one you replace him with someone else and adjust the game plan to match.
Sure, but do you recognise that they are just a stronger club than us (or anyone else)? At their best they are better than we are at our best. It's like you think we shouldn't lose players unless we're as good as the Storm. And unlike the Storm, we have to compete with nine other clubs within driving distance of our players' homes.
Do you think To’o and Crichton are leaders at Penrith? Would you not agree that the side is built around them?

I’m not sure what you mean by the Storm being a stronger club than us at their best? Do you mean this season? Next season? All the time?
yes, we shouldn’t be losing as many players as the Storm if we don’t have as many grand final appearances/rep appearances. If we are then we’re either underachieving or doing something very wrong.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Do you think To’o and Crichton are leaders at Penrith?
I think To'o might be. His stature is big enough that he would be very influential there. Crichton, not so much.
Would you not agree that the side is built around them?
I think To'o is a key part of their team, with his go forward out of his own half. Crichton is a quality outside back they can plug in at wing and centre, but replaceable.

But to say their team is 'built around' those players implies that those players drive the standards and culture there. If it means something else to you then the term doesn't have much value. Is our team 'built around' Sivo because he scored so many tries, or does he benefit from being on the end of our strong left side attack?
I’m not sure what you mean by the Storm being a stronger club than us at their best? Do you mean this season? Next season? All the time?
Yes, over any given three year period (for example). I mean that over time they tend to be stronger than us, even if we might finish above them in a given year, which hasn't happened since 2005 (or 2010 when they lost all their points).
yes, we shouldn’t be losing as many players as the Storm if we don’t have as many grand final appearances/rep appearances. If we are then we’re either underachieving or doing something very wrong.
Doesn't it just mean that they have recruitment/retention benefits that no other club has (except maybe the Roosters)?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Strangely , just watched some mini games in Foxtel today, certainly didn’t seem that the players were restricted. Lots of movement and ball playing.
The narrative that the Eels only have a power game is so dumb, the need to create space is due to the forwards winning the battle, hence the coach and others referring to winning that power game.
Just take the time to refresh and look at the games again, surprised how the ball was moved around .
Maybe they just cut out the block plays, endless crash balls and the ball out the back to Gutho. Because none of that ever works and it was the highlights.

Gronk

Staff member
Maybe they just cut out the block plays, endless crash balls and the ball out the back to Gutho. Because none of that ever works and it was the highlights.
You bang on about this, but it gets us into the semis. I've said this before, the teams above us are solid across the park like us, but they also have a goat or two. We need some of these kids coming through to morph into a 🐐.