What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Eelementary

Post Whore
Is matterson one of those players that only seems to find best form when it’s contract time

No.

He's been playing well for years.

It's just a coincidence that since he's been asked to play in the middle, and get his hands on the footy more, that he has been seemingly playing better.

He's always been making metres, making tackles, and popping offloads - problem was he hardly got the ball in the edges.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Papali'i is worth more than Niukore?

Papali'i's defence is downright embarrassing at times, and he hasn't demonstrated a consistent ability to play well in multiple positions in First Grade.

Niukore can play edge forward, in the middle, and in the centres, and does not look out of place in any position.

If I had to spend big money on one of those, it wouldn't be Papali'i, tbh - he is younger, and had a much higher ceiling, but as the two players stand right now, I'd say Niukore is worth more.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don’t agree with you about it being a strawman that past success makes it understandable if your team gets ripped apart. If your team has so many players that it can’t keep because of how much they’re worth then you should be doing better than week 2 of the finals. You can’t have it both ways and say the team is so much worse than Penrith and z Melbourne and be content with a 6th place week 2 finish. What is increasing the value of our non original non grand final players to the point we’re not only struggling to improve it but keep it at the same level?
You’re not looking at the recruitment/retention advantages those clubs have that make their salary cap effectively much higher than ours. That’s why their premiership windows are more fruitful than ours. And if we do win the comp this year we’ll have won as many premierships as Penrith during that window.

lucablight

First Grade
It’s a bit cheeky to say that our club is “content” with week 2 semis finishes
It’s also easy to criticise and not offer viable solutions.

So far all I have heard from others is that we should have shopped Gutho to keep Mahoney. I don’t think that many would agree with that based on this years form.

Reed’s best game is his long and accurate passing from the ruck. That is absolutely a plus for our team and allows us to move the ball around. He has a high tackle count, which any number of hookers can achieve. He’s not really a scooter from dummy half and whilst he’s got that long low kick to the sideline, but he only ranks 38th in the NRL kick metres, so he hardly turns matches with them.

So you want a clean out ?
It’s rather difficult to offer a “viable solution” when we don’t have access to the books and how much each player is being paid/offered. The fact of the matter is that we haven’t made it past week 2 of the finals since 2009 and yet we are being picked apart like a grand final team when we haven’t been close. I struggle to reconcile these facts. Are there any other teams being picked apart like that don’t go deep into the finals?
I don’t want a clean out. I want our team to go deep into the finals and take advantage of this roster that is apparently so good we can’t keep it together.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yep, “content” has nothing to do with it. Wherever we finished in the finals, it’s in the past and we need to keep complying with the salary cap going forward. That’s all that matters. It’s not like the salary cap doesn’t apply unless you win a premiership. Rival clubs still recognise good players even if they’re not playing in a grand final, and if those players are on unders they’re not going to turn down big money just because they haven’t won a premiership.

If those players were motivated by finals success they wouldn’t have joined clubs like the Tigers, Dogs and Warriors. And maybe they wouldn’t have come to Parramatta in the first place.

lucablight

First Grade
You’re not looking at the recruitment/retention advantages those clubs have that make their salary cap effectively much higher than ours. That’s why their premiership windows are more fruitful than ours. And if we do win the comp this year we’ll have won as many premierships as Penrith during that window.
What advantages are they?

Avenger

Immortal
I know for a fact the we chased Nikora but the offer was laughable according to my source.

Surely we are banking on keeping Moses and Brown long term.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
No.

He's been playing well for years.

It's just a coincidence that since he's been asked to play in the middle, and get his hands on the footy more, that he has been seemingly playing better.

He's always been making metres, making tackles, and popping offloads - problem was he hardly got the ball in the edges.
He was playing pretty good last year until that grubby POS Cowfusi took his head off. Almost ruined his entire year.

hindy111

Post Whore
It’s also easy to criticise and not offer viable solutions.

So far all I have heard from others is that we should have shopped Gutho to keep Mahoney. I don’t think that many would agree with that based on this years form.

Reed’s best game is his long and accurate passing from the ruck. That is absolutely a plus for our team and allows us to move the ball around. He has a high tackle count, which any number of hookers can achieve. He’s not really a scooter from dummy half and whilst he’s got that long low kick to the sideline, but he only ranks 38th in the NRL kick metres, so he hardly turns matches with them.

So you want a clean out ?

Brilliantly said. I agree 100%
Your vision is first class.

lingard

Coach
Yep there is a lot of anger towards us for prioritising our roster around Jnr Reg, Moses, Gutho, Dylan. I too think we dropped that ball re Mahoney, but we don’t know what the Dogs paid for him.

The storm are getting analed as well by the shit clubs paying overs and it seems that it’s ok for them because they have achieved past success. Which is a strawman argument because it doesn’t offer a solution to the fact that you need to build a squad under a salary cap.

If you look at results in the NRL this year, it’s plain to see that our success comes on the back of our 7, 1, 6, 8, 10 and 9 in that order. So the rest of the squad need to be built under that.

The clubs that have picked the eyes out of the Eels and Storm don’t have the fundamentals that we do. Dolphins have signed nobody. Tigers and Dogs have no spine whatsoever. So they overpay in other positions to compensate hoping that success will manifest without a gun half or fullback.
Bulldogs, true. But Tigers are developing a very good spine with Hastings, Brooke's, and Douhie to come back. But I see your point.