What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gronk

Staff member
Doesn't it say that he trusts his team mates?

How do you guys know he hasn't taken the suspension with their blessing as a protest?

If we go 0-3 to start the year because Matto misses the first 3 games, then we have WAY bigger problems than Matto missing 3 games....

I'd prefer he pays the fine and plays the game. But it is farcical that he even got charged for that. I agree it was a penalty, but that's about it
27 Rounds in 2023 as well.

Happy MEel

First Grade
It's funny how we always say during the season, when one of our players is charged, that we shouldn't bother fighting it, because we're not wearing a Storm, Roosters, or Panthers jersey - but now, all of a sudden, that tune has changed, and Matterson should have fought the charge...

I don't like it, but it's pretty clear that - as perceivably selfish as it may appear - the decision is aimed at the NRL.
I reckon most of us here would prefer he didn’t fight it and take advantage of the fact that the NRL allowed fines to be paid during finals rather than suspensions.

I have zero doubt that’s what his team mates and the club would prefer as well.

Eelectrica

Referee
I reckon most of us here would prefer he didn’t fight it and take advantage of the fact that the NRL allowed fines to be paid during finals rather than suspensions.
This.
I'd prefer players playing than sitting on the sideline watching.

Sure there's a risk the fine gets paid and then get injured five minutes into the first game and gone for 3 weeks anyway. But that's just the nature of the game.

King-Gutho94

Coach
So I have looked back and Matto in 3 seasons since coming back has missed 17 games from a possible 76 matches since 2020.

He is already missing the first 3 matches next year. Which means when he retuns he averages missing one game per month since 2020.

He copped a 3 game ban last year for a high shot on Brad Parker.

Considering Matto is any minor HIA away from probably missing a month with his unfortunate history he might only play 18 games next year which is just great for a bloke we are paying 650k a year for.

Noise

Coach
It's funny how we always say during the season, when one of our players is charged, that we shouldn't bother fighting it, because we're not wearing a Storm, Roosters, or Panthers jersey - but now, all of a sudden, that tune has changed, and Matterson should have fought the charge...

I don't like it, but it's pretty clear that - as perceivably selfish as it may appear - the decision is aimed at the NRL.
Everyone on here always wants us to fight bullshit charges. Everyone gets the shits when we accept the early guilty suspension.
And every merkin including the club prefers a fine to suspension if your in the business of winning football games.

yy_cheng

Coach
Does it go back to the player who paid it or does it to a pool like centrelink. I.e. Workers paying for ppl on the dole, etc

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Does it go back to the player who paid it or does it to a pool like centrelink. I.e. Workers paying for ppl on the dole, etc
The only reference for it going directly back to the player is Paul Kent said it. I suspect what he meant is that it goes back to the 'collective players' in the form of wellbeing and post career initiatives. I've just spent 30 mins trying to find proper info without success.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Putting thousands of dollars away for the future is a shit idea hey.

I’d rather guys that do things for the betterment of the team, not themselves.

If he dies tomorrow, that $4,000 that's put away does nothing to help him - if he saves it now, he can apply it to his business now.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I get your point, guys - I really do.

It's frustrating, and it isn't exactly conducive to good team culture.

But, as in everything else in life, nothing is ever black, and white.

Latest posts