What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

hindy111

Post Whore
We are a very good side. And very good sides make grand finals occasionally. But its rare they win them. Usually great sides do. But occasionally the odd very good side will jag one.
Canberra almost did. Sharks got one.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
But it's never been a great side. 2001,2005 and even thou people want to say how shit we started the season 2009 we had great sides.
Also some great sides in the late 90s under BS.
I disagree 2009 was a great side. We missed the finals in 2008 and 2010. A great side doesn't make the finals (finishing eighth) once in three years.

1998-2001 was a great side. 2005-2007 was very good. The thing about Brian Smith is that he was so tactically brilliant he was able to get teams to overachieve. The 2001 and 2005 teams weren't as good as their ladder finish suggests.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
who is that?

EELS SIGN NRL'S OWN LEBRON​

Rugby league will have its own Lebron in 2023!

Parramatta has signed a giant prop from the Broncos system, Lebron Tuala.

And while standing at a towering two metres, he is just shy of NBA legend LeBron James (2.06m). The teenage middle forward is only 18 and still growing, with good judges rating him a fine prospect.

At 118 kilograms, he has plenty of bulk as well and moves swiftly for a big kid.

Tuala made a strong impression playing for Norths Devils in the Mal Meninga Cup this season, where he was spotted by Eels scouts.

Blessed with a strong running game and a hard hitter in defence, he's definitely one to watch out for over the next couple of seasons.

hindy111

Post Whore
I disagree 2009 was a great side. We missed the finals in 2008 and 2010. A great side doesn't make the finals (finishing eighth) once in three years.

1998-2001 was a great side. 2005-2007 was very good. The thing about Brian Smith is that he was so tactically brilliant he was able to get teams to overachieve. The 2001 and 2005 teams weren't as good as their ladder finish suggests.

I don't care. The way we where playing at end of season we where brilliant. Destroying sides.

SneakyEel

Juniors
I agree we need a big explosive outside back and I think I have the perfect bloke. Kane Bradley is currently off contract at the Cowboys. He's 22 and the bloke is a giant for a winger 6'5" and 107kg I think he'd be perfect on that right-wing for us. He debuted against the Storm in round 19 2021. He scored a really nice try in the corner in the last minute leaving a couple of defenders behind. He looks to be stuck behind the likes of Feldt and Taulagi and I think he could be a decent prospect with plenty of upside.
I'd also be looking at Phoenix Crossland for the utility role on the bench he's had big raps on him going through the juniors and I think he'd be great value off the bench. He can play lock, five-eighth, halfback and hooker so it leaves us with plenty of cover if injuries occur.

hindy111

Post Whore
Why I don't buy into the whole 2009 was just a good run and Hayne magic crap and we where shit in 2008 and 2010 is cause it's irrelevant. Sides perhaps worked out how to shut us down. But we developed this style that took an average side into one that fell short by a team of cheats. We basicaly where the best legit side. Nobody could handle us. We knocked off teams who finished 1,2,3 in finals.
So yes come 2010 sides perhaps figured out how to shut us down. But atleast we where able to find a way to almost win it. It was dam exciting footy. Not just luck at all.
Playing this safe boring footy that everyone knows what's coming needs luck to win it. You need everything to go your way and the opposition to play poor.
It's almost like your playing not to lose then to win.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Or are they just a very well drilled team that know their roles and are suited to the rules in a pretty f**king weak era. I mean we made a GF coached by Bea Arthur with Wanker Blake on the wing and played with 15 players for the majority of the later half of the season. Their main competition Melbun and Goosters were riddled with injuries.

I’d argue the 04 dogs, 08 Manly, 2013 Roosters, 2017 Storm and 18/19 Roosters had stronger squads.
This comp is weaker as well.

There are more basketcase teams then ever before. You could legit call the bottom 8 all basketcases after the seasons they had. Normally there are at least 10-11 teams that could beat top 4 teams on there day or at least competitive enough.

EppingEel

Juniors
The Panthers pack is getting weaker, Garner doesn't have Kikau's X-factor, Kenny and Luke will both have to adjust to NRL and the bench is very small, with only Sorenson and Leniu providing any go foward, so expecting big minutes from Leota and JFH this year.

SneakyEel

Juniors
The Panthers pack is getting weaker, Garner doesn't have Kikau's X-factor, Kenny and Luke will both have to adjust to NRL and the bench is very small, with only Sorenson and Leniu providing any go foward, so expecting big minutes from Leota and JFH this year.
Yeah, I agree I think they are going to miss Kikau and Api considerably more than we miss Papa and Mahoney. Don't get me wrong Papa and Mahoney are great players but I think they are easily replaceable.

Black Panther

Juniors
Yeah, I agree I think they are going to miss Kikau and Api considerably more than we miss Papa and Mahoney. Don't get me wrong Papa and Mahoney are great players but I think they are easily replaceable.
Really.. Papa was your best forward for the last 2 years and Mahoney is your only Hooker option.. Penrith will miss both API and Kikau no doubt, but is the Parra system as good at replacing players as Penrith?
Time will tell I guess..

SneakyEel

Juniors
Really.. Papa was your best forward for the last 2 years and Mahoney is your only Hooker option.. Penrith will miss both API and Kikau no doubt, but is the Parra system as good at replacing players as Penrith?
Time will tell I guess..
I think Kikau and especially Api were key parts of your success. I feel like you lose a bit of x-factor with Kikau and Api leaving. Luke and Garner are both decent but they are no Kikau and Api. For how good Mahoney and Papa were I feel like they were a bit overrated. Papa is replaceable 3 years ago nobody knew who he was. As for Mahoney if Hodgo stays fit its a like for like replacement.

Soto

Bench
Papalli was often way too gassed and ended up arm grabbing and missing plenty of tackles. If someone has the time to share his missed tackles and tackle efficiency that may just paint an ugly truth of how he performed worse the more he stayed on..

hindy111

Post Whore

I'm sure they will. But Tago, May,Crighton and Spencer are going to be getting better. All are young and not at peak.
Add the fact they won Sg ball, Jersey flegg and Nsw cup id day there is more coming through the system.

hindy111

Post Whore
Time will tell I guess..

Pappa in 2021 yes. 2022? Best ? No. 5th best.
Lane,Matterson,Jnr,RCG all outplayed him this year.

Black Panther

Juniors
Most on here we’re hoping Papa would stay, now you are saying he was over rated.. As for Hodgson, a lot of question marks over a 30+ year old Hooker coming off multiple injuries.

Latest posts