What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gazzamatta

Coach
I agree with you up to a point. If we were talking about almost any other position on the field I would fully agree. But, if we lost Moses, just tell me where our next half-back would come from. Bearing in mind that he would have to be very good for us to be a premiership threat.
He'd come from the 2022 reserves bench Ivor. Sheesh!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I agree. Without Moses' kicking game he's not a star player at all. But he has been getting better each year (and he does have that kicking game). The other question is how do we easily replace him with another 'very good' half-back? In some ways he has us over a barrel by virtue of the position he plays.
Dylan Brown is already our primary playmaker. We would need to replace Moses’ kicking game, which would be difficult but not impossible. It’s definitely a skill that can be improved with practice.

Soto

Bench
Moses kicking game is Elite class.

In saying that would like to see the occasional cross kick as well.
I still feel we will keep both.
If one was to go for mine it's Moses.
A more game manager 7 would probably suit Dylbro even more..
Moses tends to park on the right too much and gets heavily involved if we are losing

yy_cheng

Coach
Moses kicking game is Elite class.

In saying that would like to see the occasional cross kick as well.
I still feel we will keep both.
If one was to go for mine it's Moses.
A more game manager 7 would probably suit Dylbro even more..
Moses tends to park on the right too much and gets heavily involved if we are losing
I think when the chips are down, its guth, paulo and rcg that tries to get us out. Reed too.

But moses doesnt do it enough

Stevie

Bench
At moment Moses is providing more bang for buck. But in general Pongas ceiling is far higher.

Ponga at 28 will be 10 x the player Moses will ever be.

Ponga changes the game almost every time he plays. But at the moment Moses is more reliable.
The “ceiling” chat I think is a joke. I have ALWAYS said, Ponga has loads of talent and will earn shitloads with a shit team but in my eyes is Shaun Johnson level of overrated.
Ponga COULD be arguably one of the best players in the game but is a dead set myth.
Please don’t put him in the same stratosphere as a top half that performs every week.
I think Ponga, like Shaun Johnson, is embarrassingly overpaid and will make a career on it.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think Ponga and Johnson are both guns, top five players in the game (Johnson not anymore, obviously). Why I think they are perceived the way you describe is because, like Hayne, they were happy to chase the money and play for shit teams. If they were happy to take a bit less and play for the Storm or Roosters they would be perceived as being up there with the best, which is where I see them anyway because I know a player is only as good as the team around him.

Cloeel

Juniors
The “ceiling” chat I think is a joke. I have ALWAYS said, Ponga has loads of talent and will earn shitloads with a shit team but in my eyes is Shaun Johnson level of overrated.
Ponga COULD be arguably one of the best players in the game but is a dead set myth.
Please don’t put him in the same stratosphere as a top half that performs every week.
I think Ponga, like Shaun Johnson, is embarrassingly overpaid and will make a career on it.

Exactly Moses is the better bang for buck player currently. Far more reliable.

Where as Ponga has huge potential without the reliability...currently..

Last edited:

Cloeel

Juniors
I think Ponga and Johnson are both guns, top five players in the game (Johnson not anymore, obviously). Why I think they are perceived the way you describe is because, like Hayne, they were happy to chase the money and play for shit teams. If they were happy to take a bit less and play for the Storm or Roosters they would be perceived as being up there with the best, which is where I see them anyway because I know a player is only as good as the team around him.

Good point.

But Ponga's injuries/concussion issues are also a factor.

Glenneel

Bench
I agree. Without Moses' kicking game he's not a star player at all. But he has been getting better each year (and he does have that kicking game). The other question is how do we easily replace him with another 'very good' half-back? In some ways he has us over a barrel by virtue of the position he plays.
So a player that produced the most TA's for the year is not a star player? Go you actually see what he does during a game including roaming both sides of the ball to generate try chances. So what is your definition of a star player?

Gronk

Staff member
Just on Dylan, does anyone agree with me that his $800k / year contract was very generously based on potential and that 2022 was his first bang for buck year ? If ever a player "owes us" I reckon Dylan does. Not that his gen particularly gives any f**ks in this regard.

Cloeel

Juniors
Just on Dylan, does anyone agree with me that his $800k / year contract was very generously based on potential and that 2022 was his first bang for buck year ? If ever a player "owes us" I reckon Dylan does. Not that his gen particularly gives any f**ks in this regard.

He doesn't owe anyone anything. We gave him that potential based contract.

Either way Dylan will stay and Mitch will likely go or take under to stay.