What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

King-Gutho94

Coach
From the little i have seen MA looks skillful enough now to play FG, his biggest worry is his size and will he ever be big enough to defend long mins in the middle??? I suppose in 26 he could be at least as a benchy he's still only 18/9?
He is 2 years away at most.

He is still struggling to keep up playing 80 mins. Needs a good 12-18 months in Reggie's building up a tank that can handle 80 mins in the hooker position.

There is no doubt a push to fast-track him atm but he shouldn't be playing first grade this year unless Lussick and Hands are both Injured at the same time and we are in dire straits.

TheRam

Coach
This did not age well. You OK Rammy ? All jokes aside you must have liked what you saw ?

No I'm fine, just been very busy of late and can't really sit and take time out to go through all the great dribble on this forum. But thanks for asking.

But back to footy, yes he was surprisingly strong with the ball in hand and really impressed me how he took on Turbo and came over the top of him to score his try, but in saying that there is two sides to footy and on the defensive side which is what I was mostly referring to he failed quiet badly.

We were lucky that we upped the tempo and Manly didn't stay with us otherwise it could have been a totally different outcome and embarrassment all round for us.

Lets see how he handles 5/8th his preferred position and week to week footy before we crown him ready for NRL just yet.

Pazza

First Grade
I haven’t really noticed Guymer enough as an edge player to see the benefits. What about Doorey ? He on the other hand I have seen make breaks and offload.

Doorey.... he's defense is so poor he makes Lane look like Ian Hindmarsh.

Pazza

First Grade
Dunno about Makka, but that Moretti short stint was a game changer last week.

You're right... he worked that obstruction rule perfectly.

It was a really good game by luca, if you're only gonna get 20, might as well be the best

Gronk

Staff member
You're right... he worked that obstruction rule perfectly.

It was a really good game by luca, if you're only gonna get 20, might as well be the best
Your tone suggests that you think that he didn’t get enough time ? So that means you think that someone got too much time on the field at his expense?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed. I wouldn’t swap Russell for Turuva. That horrific injury delayed his development, but he’s starting to look like a really solid, reliable winger. He will only get better.

I'd like to see him get a run in the centres

he played most of his junior footy at fullback and centre so he has the game experience

TheRam

Coach
That was a low blow.

@TheRam you need to lie down. Asi is rubbish. Blaze will be better then Penisini in 18mths

Yes I agree that Blaze has all the traits of a quality player, it's just that I still don't think that he is physically ready for NRL. I could be wrong though, but I fear for young players especially ones that aren't big lumps and that we rush them way to quickly into the NRL. There have been countless examples of this, but anyway, hopefully my worries about this kid will be unjustified. He was pretty ordinary in defence though so we will have to wait and see.

But year he moves very well with the ball in hand and he stepped up from his previous performances that I had seen where he was timid in coming forward with the ball so it is a great sign that maybe he just needed more exposure in the top grade to get accustomed and settle in. He does look good out there when he has some space in front of him.

Here's to him continuing to develop and getting better and better with each game he plays. We need to keep producing quality young players so as to maintain our top 8 quality team and eventually crack the big one and win the damned thing. It's the only way for a club like ours to have premiership success.

Pazza

First Grade
Your tone suggests that you think that he didn’t get enough time ? So that means you think that someone got too much time on the field at his expense?

No

A 4 forward bench means someone is going to have a short stint. I really mean it when I said luca did well.

I personally would rather a utility or a 2nd hooker on the bench. But hey, I'm not a coach lol

TheRam

Coach

Gotta laugh the Tigers have a great win last week and these dinosaurs want to stay relevant by whinging why they haven't had a free ticket to a game.

FFS would you? Take a look at them...freaking two pathetic excuses for panel experts. FOX is really scraping the barrel when constantly offering these two and that other imbecile Spud up as some kind of wise old footy savants.

At least their old club knows where these two belong which is at the bottom of a well with the lid on top. No one else needs to be assaulted by their stupid and annoying voices.

Blocker and Spud calling matches really does my head in. OK enough whinging. They are nice guys though. peace out.

TheRam

Coach
Hopefully one of our juniors next year will kill it there, probably why they signed Harper for 1 year. Also have a young fullback in HM, Cyrus Bloomfield (the Farari)', who hopefully could develop in to something special by the time Gutho ready to retire.

What a great name. I take it he is a real speedster with a nick name like The Ferrari?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So much talk about the future. I don't think there is going to be a huge amount of change for next year but I reckon Blaize, Guymer and MA are all going to be top 17 next season.
Not Guymer, surely. He might become a first grader one day, but he has a lot of competition at our club. None of our current top 17 forwards are off contract.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Agreed. I wouldn’t swap Russell for Turuva. That horrific injury delayed his development, but he’s starting to look like a really solid, reliable winger. He will only get better.
Even if Russell is never as good as Turuva, he still might be a better option if he provides more value. For example if Russell is on $300k and provides $300k worth of football while Turuva is on $600k and only providing $500k worth of football.