What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

yy_cheng

Coach
Many possible reasons…..but wouldn’t be surprised a few are playing injured.

we didn’t really tire in the Penrith, first Manly or Cowboys game. Even the manly second game we hang in the game during a lot pressure in the second half (why is another discussion) until the 70th min (2 tries v 1, penalty count against us, Pensini binning).

Probably only Raiders / Dolphins game we got blown away in the second half
Improper use of the interchange then?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
With so many players entering their early 30s or already in them and on contract for at least another 12-24 months, our window is still open if we have the right person leading the team, and make a couple of astute purchases. In 2-3 years we will be a in a full rebuild mode.
Rebuild mode really refers to when you have minimised value under the cap by having too many merkins on overs; back ended contracts and so on. We are likely in that phase now. If not now, then definitely next year. By 2026 we’ll only have these old merkins:

Paulo
Moses
Matterson (PO)
Lane (MO)
Sivo (MO)

Plus Drown, Lomax, Penisini and Greig

For 2027 it’s just Moses, Drown and Lomax on the books so far.

Avenger

Immortal
That’s a fair point regarding the new board as I don’t really differentiate between the new and old administration. However, we’re now 5 years on from that, we were terrible last year and we’re worse this year after 8 rounds. We potentially had a chance to land one of the best coaches ever and it appears we’ve turned him down.
Surely this isn’t true. If he approached Souths I can understand because the noise was deafening about JD’s demise however that’s not the case with BA. Not yet anyway. Bennett can be a f**kwit but I cannot see him actively pushing for a coach to be sacked unless it’s a sure thing or Anthony Seibold.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I don't think we're old but we are definitely looking it atm.

Our forwards look like they have chased one too many collisions physically.

Our 2nd halves have been very poor and we tire at back end of games.

Is that age, fitness or just the petrol tank running low from 4 or 5 playing the power game under BA.
Most of our older forwards look punch drunk of late. Too many collisions.

Stevie

Bench
I know TCT can't bite the hands that feed them, but their argument that Bennett is past it and not a good choice to coach any team is laughable and just about destroys any credibility they thought they had.

You shouldn't keep a coach for more than 5 years without winning a Comp. For a decade, you would think at least two Comps.
TCT wow. The absolute dribble that comes out. Why do they assume people care what they have been up to during the week. 60’s lives the sound of his own voice.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Ironically, the Bennett to Demetriou transition was very smooth but didn’t work out.
Given a choice I’d take ugly if we come out the other side in better shape.
But I take your point, given how much of a basket case we were for a few years, the club wants to appear professional and stable.
As justifiably pissed as we all are, their action to date do say to potential coaches “we’ll treat you fairly and won’t drag you through the mud”.
Great post. Merkins don’t seem to consider there’s a down side to ruthlessness.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Crap. Read your own stats. D has been on the downhill slide since 2020.
Yeah that’s why I said we peaked in 2020-21, before we made the grand final. In those years we had less luck than in ‘22.
But please tell me why I’m wrong and how I’ve misinterpreted your stats
Gazza said our defence hadn’t evolved. Clearly it improved then declined. Did it decline due to an ageing pack or because Arthur’s forgot how to coach?

Noise

Coach
I know TCT can't bite the hands that feed them, but their argument that Bennett is past it and not a good choice to coach any team is laughable and just about destroys any credibility they thought they had.

You shouldn't keep a coach for more than 5 years without winning a Comp. For a decade, you would think at least two Comps.
TCT are BA groupies. There is no better coach than BA according to them. Nothing is his fault

I haven't looked at TCT for 3 years, but I 'm not sure you can come up with universal rules for keeping a coach like that above. How many teams can win a premiership in a 5-year window? Don't get me wrong, there's a time where you say 'you've been good, but not great enough'. It all depends on what you alternatives are. At the moment there seems to be a viable alternative (Bennett) so yeh...I'd be tempted to bite the bullet and have a go for him. But in many other cases you'd replace a good coach with a marginal coach. Doesn't help anyone.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
TCT are BA groupies. There is no better coach than BA according to them. Nothing is his fault
A pack of shills will no credibility, will praise the club and Bea till the cows come home just to keep that sweet sweet access.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Well the Raiders have sacked 4 coaches since BA has started so clearly they don't give anyone 11 years.

Gruden might have been there still if it wasn't for his disgraceful behaviour that didn't give them any choice.

Hiring Gruden, to begin with, was an idiotic move.

And some of the coaches we've had over the years...

Hue Jackson
Lane Kiffin
Jack Del Rio
Josh McDaniels
Rob Ryan

A veritable list of losers, tbh.

Avenger

Immortal
I haven't looked at TCT for 3 years, but I 'm not sure you can come up with universal rules for keeping a coach like that above. How many teams can win a premiership in a 5-year window? Don't get me wrong, there's a time where you say 'you've been good, but not great enough'. It all depends on what you alternatives are. At the moment there seems to be a viable alternative (Bennett) so yeh...I'd be tempted to bite the bullet and have a go for him. But in many other cases you'd replace a good coach with a marginal coach. Doesn't help anyone.
I’m not all in on Bennett but I’m liking the idea of Cheika.