What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

King-Gutho94

Coach
Well.....it was the ARU. They've fired a bloke to bring Eddie Jones in so he could f**k things up then f**k off all witihin an 18 month period.
You can't judge the wallabies coaches whatsoever since the 2003 world cup.

There a bigger basketcase then parramatta.

Cheika did more with a budget Argentina side then a what anyone has done for Wallabies in 20 years.

emjaycee

Coach
That’s a fair point regarding the new board as I don’t really differentiate between the new and old administration. However, we’re now 5 years on from that, we were terrible last year and we’re worse this year after 8 rounds. We potentially had a chance to land one of the best coaches ever and it appears we’ve turned him down.

In all honesty, you may have thought I was better than that but I had this same conversation with you in person last year re. Arthur and you were staunchly in favour of keeping him. It would seem I was correct as you yourself admit he probably needs to go. If the Board made a ballsy decision last year we may not be in this mess.
mate, this time last year (Magic Round) when we spoke about BA, was 10 rounds after playing in the GF and even Hindy111 wanted to keep him.

DaveMc

Juniors

Cheika did more with a budget Argentina side then a what anyone has done for Wallabies in 20 years.
He was also the most successful Wallabies coach in the last 20 years. Did reach a WC final in 2015.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Cheika is not the worst idea. Got the perennial chokers The Waratahs to a super rugby championship.
Cheika loves league as much as union.

You hear it in his voice whenever he speaks about Rugby League.

Anyone remember when he stuck under our guard and got Folau while the NRL and Schubert pulled there small willies for 2 months over contract value because Folau wanted to come to Parra.

If Folau chose the Roosters it would have been done in 2 days.

You are right - premierships are a result of random luck, much like spinning a chocolate wheel!

this is some valiant defence and the club has rewarded you with at least 18 more months of mediocrity and about 20000 more dedicated posts in that time

That's not what he said though, is it. He said they are a result of 'probability and random luck'. And that's quite different. Unless you are talking about a consistently dominant team like Penrith over the last few years, he's right. The maths of the situation are not that difficult. If all teams were equally f**ked they'd have a chance of winning in each year of 6.25%. In reality the best team in the comp starts the year at odds between 2.5 to 1 and 4.5 to 1, implying a probability of winning in a given year of about 28% - 18%. Even if you have the best team and coach, there's a f**kload of stuff that can go wrong to stop you winning the lot. And for everyone else it just gets more random.

Tiger5150

Bench
@Tiger5150 - you're a fan of another club.

I'd like your unbiased opinion on this.

Am I over-reacting, here?

We're stuck with Arthur, because the board does not want to make decisions that may prove to be smart business; they're afraid of upsetting players by hiring a new coach (those players can go, as far as I'm concerned, as they've contributed to our current state, and they do not run the ship), and they actively refuse to make positive changes.

Even if signing Bennett didn't result in a Premiership, you can't tell me that the player base would not learn invaluable things from his mentorship.

Seems the only way these imbeciles in charge will realise that the fans have had enough of being a laughingstock, is to financially boycott them.
I dont think BA is a good coach, but you merkins were in a GF two years ago so there is recent success. TBH, same as at the Tigers, I think that clubs get set into a structure and whilst some things happen quick in RL, some things take a long time to raise their head. After the Tigers lost Moses and Teddy, the club made a decision not to rely on juniors and tried to buy NRL proven players. It was obviously a disaster and took 4 years for the full disaster to wash through the club. Everyone laughs at Sheens coming back but what he did was change that strategy and rebuild bottom up to focus on the juniors coming through (we had a gun HM team). That work is only just starting to pay off but our crap management were still a handbrake. The recent total cleanout of our board allows Richo with his experience to set in stone the new structures of the club including junior development, home ground all the way to the top.

With regards Parra & BA, regardless of whether BA is good or not and despite what looks like a weird structure from the outside where BA isnt repsonsible for recruitment and retention (is that right?), it is going to be a fact that with the one coach for 11 years, these systems are going to be ingrained. Any club that isnt on top would benefit from a Bennett coming in (he wanted to coach the Tigers after Cleary and agreed to terms with Tigers but Brisbane wouldnt sack him until it was too late) because Bennett has the experience of setting up these systems. FWIW I think Parra would benefit from a clean slate and an experienced operator like a Bennett/Gould/Richo/Cameron to build new systems.

Soto

Bench
You don't know Michael Cheika very well obviously.

He loves rugby league as much as union and would do an outstanding job.

He would bring sponsorship, PR, Presence, management skills and an aura we haven't seen at this joint for a long time.

He is a self made businessman outside of coaching and very smart.

He coached Lebanon in the last world cup and did better then Fittler had done 5 years earlier.

Cheika would be long-term solution if Bennett doesn't arrive.
Cheika would be a great choice with some prior experience or as an understudy ...coaching lebanon and doing well in a farcical world cup is no benchmark.
I think he would be great with an apprenticeship under his belt.
Wether he loves yawnion as much as league is completely irrelevant.
Do I want to see BA gone yes I do...but even me watching league for 40+ years thinks this is fraught with danger.
Does anyone remember how well Alan Jones went when he coached the Tigers??? Another Wallaby winning coach and was an abject disaster at the Tigers

Yeh, I wasn't knocking him. Just putting a qualifier on the evidence. And he does look a bit like Big Ange.

Tmars

Juniors
Matt Johns sen show talked about Steve McNamara from England being a big chance and Adrian Lam also has had good results of late.
Cheika knows league well and Moses has already labelled him the best coach that he has been coached by

Legal Eel

Juniors
That's not what he said though, is it. He said they are a result of 'probability and random luck'. And that's quite different. Unless you are talking about a consistently dominant team like Penrith over the last few years, he's right. The maths of the situation are not that difficult. If all teams were equally f**ked they'd have a chance of winning in each year of 6.25%. In reality the best team in the comp starts the year at odds between 2.5 to 1 and 4.5 to 1, implying a probability of winning in a given year of about 28% - 18%. Even if you have the best team and coach, there's a f**kload of stuff that can go wrong to stop you winning the lot. And for everyone else it just gets more random.
Oh well, just unlucky, keep going with BA and one day it will work…just keep going all in with a pair of twos and one day our luck will turn

Tiger5150

Bench
I’m at the point where I don’t care who the coach is, it just can’t be Brad Arthur. The club needs a change, a new perspective and a new voice.
Ive been exactly where you are right now.....

Nek minnut
5338cc4b337cfde5918ba87469943c77

King-Gutho94

Coach
Cheika would be a great choice with some prior experience or as an understudy ...coaching lebanon and doing well in a farcical world cup is no benchmark.
I think he would be great with an apprenticeship under his belt.
Wether he loves yawnion as much as league is completely irrelevant.
Do I want to see BA gone yes I do...but even me watching league for 40+ years thinks this is fraught with danger.
Does anyone remember how well Alan Jones went when he coached the Tigers??? Another Wallaby winning coach and was an abject disaster at the Tigers
He spent 12 months under robbo as a assistant at the chooks.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Ive been exactly where you are right now.....

Nek minnut
5338cc4b337cfde5918ba87469943c77
Taylor only replaced Potter because Robbie Farah said Potter was a shit communicator and stabbed potter in the back.

Ironically when Taylor came in and the first job was making Robbie Farah a paraiah which took 2 years to get rid of.

Then was sacked 3 rounds into the following season after Robbie left.

Peak wests tigers right there.

Latest posts