What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

TheCrowe

Juniors
WHY EELS NEED TO CHANGE GAME STYLE TO ARREST FORM SLUMP

The Eels’ horror season continues, with Parramatta losing their fifth game in six matches after a 30-14 defeat to the hands of the Broncos.

To give Parra some credit, they definitely didn’t deserve to lose by 16 points, having shown plenty of good signs throughout the match, however, Brisbane’s class shined through in the end.

“They are so down on confidence. It is so low,” James Graham opined on Fox League after the game.

“They look like they are lacking in leadership as well.”

Halfback Mitch Moses (who is set to return next week) and fullback Clint Gutherson are two huge losses in terms of leadership.

Despite their absences, Corey Parker doesn’t think leadership is the issue at the Eels, but rather their game style and the inability to adapt.

“I think they have the right leadership in the key areas, but the style of play that they play for mine doesn’t cut it with the better sides for mine,” Parker said.

“While Brisbane weren’t there statistically on the scoreboard, when they got into a cycle and we saw the likes of Payne Haas, Brendan Piakura and the speed and athleticism that Brisbane were able to do through the middle, (Eels props) Ofangauhe and Paulo, they can’t keep up. That’s what it seems.

“It might be a legs tackle then it’s a quick play the ball, then there’s time and space on the edges for Reece Walsh and Ezra Mam... It all stems from the middle.

“We spoke about the confrontation that was going to be in the middle at the start of the game. It wasn’t there.

“You go back to the second half against the Dolphins in Darwin where they just absolutely capitulated, it was the speed of the ruck and the speed in which the Dolphins were able to pull apart the Parramatta team.

“Any team that gets the Eels into a cycle, you can just see it. One quick play the ball leads to another and all of a sudden, an avalanche.”

Yvonne Sampson then asked the panel why the Eels were being “left behind”, with Michael Ennis pointing to one reason.

“I think the big thing for them is that Brad Arthur and the recruitment team have gone with a big style of pack. And when you play with a big style of pack, you need to win field position so you can condense your defensive line and go after sides physically,” Ennis said.

“You hear Brad talk about that regularly. Winning the collision.

“When you don’t have Mitch Moses there to kick the ball 60 metres and put it in a corner, it leaves their forwards vulnerable. It really does and then all of a sudden the opposition side is kicking from 40-50 metres out, driving it long and big forwards have to get back behind the ball.

“As Corey said, every time sides are dragging them into a cycle at the moment, the Eels just can’t go with it.

“Tonight, Junior Paulo had 67 metres, (Ryan) Matterson 60 metres, (J’maine) Hopgood had 80 metres. You look at Payne Haas. He’s punching out 160-170 metres while Pat Carrigan is making 30-35 tackles and running for 140-150 metres as well.”

Foxsports

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We all know how important Moses' kicking is to our defence.

MerkinsRun metresKick metresTotal metres
Broncos15727652337
Eels17834532236

Last edited:

Gazzamatta

Coach
Thanks mate

I noticed this part in the article

In 1963, Ron was a member of the Parramatta team who played a historic game against South Africa at Cumberland Oval, winning 39 to 18.

In that same year, Lynch would score one of the luckiest tries recorded to put the club in their first preliminary final. He would later say it was a ‘million to one chance’.

Anyone around to see this try @Gazzamatta were you there. Million to one chance cant help getting good luck in a semi final match.
Sadly my first Eels game was in 1964. I remember watching Ron Lynch play often. He was a lock but was usually selected in the second row in rep teams to accomodate John Raper. Lynchie was as tough as they come and a real gentleman.
See attached a page from my Autograph Book.
20240513_154020.jpg

King-Gutho94

Coach
My take is we’re about a month behind. If they put that effort in with similar result versus Canbra, under the circumstances I think most would say that’s fine, build on result vs Cows then take that effort to Darwin. Then at least if results go against us there’s more onus on if it’s BA’s tactics or backup players not being able to step up.
A month is too long to give competition headstart. Would’ve thought we learnt that last season…
Went looking for a soft win in round 4 against the tigers & from that game confidence has just slowly gone down the toilet.

Its why most of this forum went off at the performance on Easter Monday is was probably the most winnable game in that 6 week patch and we tossed it away.

parra pete

Referee
I saw both matches.
Ron (Thirsty) Lynch --one of my all time favourite Parramatta Rugby League players. RIP Thirsty....was the heart and soul of the Club from 1961 until early seventies. Along with Grumpy Hambly, The Thornett brothers, Billy Rayner, Leo Toohey.
Thirsty ignited my interest in Rugby League.
I was at the SCG to see him regather a Bobby Bugden shot at goal that bounced of the goal post and score the try that enabled Parra to win its first ever First Grade semi-final in 1963..
I was there at the Sydney Sports Ground when Ron broke his shoulder which cost him a place in the 1963 Kangaroos team. He was replaced by Kevin Smythe.
I was at Henson Park Newtown when Thirsty carried Parra fullback Laurie Wakefield --he picked him up in his arms and carried the fullback to the sideline for treatment by the St John Ambulance Zambuck on the sideline..in 1970. Thanks for the memories THIRSTY....RIP..An all time Parramatta great.Parra V South Africa.jpg

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Seeing we missed the 8 last year, when would be reasonable to win more than half our games again?
That’s a question for each man to decide in his own heart. Is it consecutive years that matter or results in a given span of years? We just made the finals for four years straight. I think missing them for four years straight would be unacceptable (and also surprising). However one year out of the top eight is perfectly reasonable. So the threshold (for me) is two or three years. As for which it is, I’ll let you know, but we’ve missed the finals for consecutive years plenty of times since I’ve been following this club. How about you?

84 Baby

Referee
Went looking for a soft win in round 4 against the tigers & from that game confidence has just slowly gone down the toilet.

Its why most of this forum went off at the performance on Easter Monday is was probably the most winnable game in that 6 week patch and we tossed it away.
100%

Curleel

Juniors
This game was played the following SATURDAY after Parra had played South Africa (on the Wednesday)..Could you imagine that happening these day????
Heart and soul of that great Parramatta forward pack, with Hindy our two best second rowers, never seemed to miss a game, never gave up. The current disappointing mob could learn a bit from his determination...

hindy111

Post Whore
That’s a question for each man to decide in his own heart. Is it consecutive years that matter or results in a given span of years? We just made the finals for four years straight. I think missing them for four years straight would be unacceptable (and also surprising). However one year out of the top eight is perfectly reasonable. So the threshold (for me) is two or three years. As for which it is, I’ll let you know, but we’ve missed the finals for consecutive years plenty of times since I’ve been following this club. How about you?

Yes BAs first 3yrs we missed them also. Maybe he'll go out the same way he come in