What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

JokerEel

Coach
There is no way I want to see Gutho ousted for Talagi but interested at full strength where do you see them all next year?
I’m:
1 Gutho
2 Talagi
3 Penisini
4 Lomax
5 Superman ?
6 Brown
7 Moses

Harper, Russell backup?
Sivo f**ked off?

Yeah I think this may be the side next year if the weasel Moses doesn't have his client chasing the dream at another club...

Talagi will be a good fullback but he needs to learn as much as he can from Gutho before he makes the move..

hindy111

Post Whore
At full strength, Talagi is back in Cup, where he belongs.

He's not anywhere near First Grade standard yet, imo.

I saw him in Flegg last year. He was a twig and dominated easily. In one off season he put on atleast 5kgs and a heap of strength.
One more off season and he may add another 5kgs and 15% strength. At his age these things happen fast. There is also 60% of this season to play so he will keep gaining experience.
I can't see him not improving to the point where is isn't in the side. He will be a different player in 12mths time.

Avenger

Immortal
Here’s a good stat

in 11 games this year we have already conceded 10 more points than Penrith conceded in total last year including the qualifying final and prelim final. By Thursday night we’ll have conceded more in 12 games than their entire premiership run.

good effort boys
Defence is an attitude thing. They either need a new voice or new players or both.

hindy111

Post Whore
I'm surprised the negatively toward Talagi. I know he has some weaknesses but he also has some awesome talent. Anytime he touches the ball he seems dangerous or atleast has you wanting him to get the ball knowing he can do something.
You just can't coach that. You either have it or not. You can coach timing and defense and train for more weight etc. At 19 though nobody is full grown.
Guys like Russel are solid but that's all they're ever going to be. Reliable no frills players. The thing is they are a dime a dozen.
Players like Blayze don't come along often. Let's hope we have the right coaching staff around him to develop him cause he could become a real gem.

emjaycee

Coach
7 days ago Talagi's biggest weakness as a fullback, according to everyone here, was his inability to catch a bomb.
On Saturday the only one he dropped was one that a lot of experienced fullbacks would have struggled with.

His defence will improve, his positional play will improve but they won't improve in Reggies as quickly as they will improve with Gutho, Moses, etc. helping him out on game day.

I say keep him in there and let him learn.

The Predictor

Juniors
I'm surprised the negatively toward Talagi. I know he has some weaknesses but he also has some awesome talent. Anytime he touches the ball he seems dangerous or atleast has you wanting him to get the ball knowing he can do something.
You just can't coach that. You either have it or not. You can coach timing and defense and train for more weight etc. At 19 though nobody is full grown.
Guys like Russel are solid but that's all they're ever going to be. Reliable no frills players. The thing is they are a dime a dozen.
Players like Blayze don't come along often. Let's hope we have the right coaching staff around him to develop him cause he could become a real gem.
It’s more the fact he and his crim management appear to be holding the club hostage , in regards to his first negotiation, considering not long ago he was barely an itch in daddy’s pants, he should shut the fk up and understand the privileged position he is in, and be grateful his been given an opportunity in first, he rubs me up the wrong way and the bias in me would be bothered if he decided to fk off, just my opinion

Last edited:

King-Gutho94

Coach
I suspect there will be more love come his way once he signs that contract to extend.

Thats probably where the angst is atm and his f.wit manager has a lot to blame for that.

the phantom menace

First Grade
Everyone's got Talagi on some type of pedestal imo, which the actions of his manager and Talagi in refusing his player option no doubt helped create ina bid to boost contract offers.

He wouldn't have gotten a go in our first choice backline were it not for injuries, and while he has (attacking) talent, imo he's not yet a first grade talent. Talagi has more development work (in defense) to do in Cup (once he and his manager make up their minds what position they think he wants to play, and it that accords with our club's needs), and imo he should play there - at least until he commits to a 2025-onward contract with the Eels.

Russell and Simonsson > Talagi for mine in first grade, at this stage.

Avenger

Immortal
Everyone's got Talagi on some type of pedestal imo, which the actions of his manager and Talagi in refusing his player option no doubt helped create ina bid to boost contract offers.

He wouldn't have gotten a go in our first choice backline were it not for injuries, and while he has (attacking) talent, imo he's not yet a first grade talent. Talagi has more development work (in defense) to do in Cup (once he and his manager make up their minds what position they think he wants to play, and it that accords with our club's needs), and imo he should play there - at least until he commits to a 2025-onward contract with the Eels.

Russell and Simonsson > Talagi for mine in first grade, at this stage.
No chance they are better than him. Not a chance in the world. If Simonsson was any good someone would have snapped him up by now as he has been available since 1 Nov last year. Russell is average at best and runs like Joel Reddy with a dislocated ankle.

the phantom menace

First Grade
No chance they are better than him. Not a chance in the world. If Simonsson was any good someone would have snapped him up by now as he has been available since 1 Nov last year. Russell is average at best and runs like Joel Reddy with a dislocated ankle.
I'm not saying they're any good / world beaters.

But in a first grade backline this year, they're less of a liability that a kid that is all attack and hasn't seemed to have worked out what position he wants to learn and be good at (in Cup first, then NRL) yet.

If the kid shows he's committed to the club, then he might earn more of an opportunity in first grade - but he should be humble and thankful for the taste he's had, and now buckle down over the next two months to learn and improve his D.

Avenger

Immortal
I'm not saying they're any good / world beaters.

But in a first grade backline this year, they're less of a liability that a kid that is all attack and hasn't seemed to have worked out what position he wants to learn and be good at (in Cup first, then NRL) yet.

If the kid shows he's committed to the club, then he might earn more of an opportunity in first grade - but he should be humble and thankful for the taste he's had, and now buckle down over the next two months to learn and improve his D.
When you have Isaac Moses as your manager being humble and taking unders is not possible. I love Gutherson but he’s on $950k next season.