What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

oldmancraigy

Coach
I think it was partially opinion, maybe?
Particularly the first line where you claim that it is "hard for people to understand" (are you suggesting posters on here are idiots?).

(Lets leave off that my previous post was a [poor] attempt at humor by saying it was factual with a question mark!)

In the first post being referred to, the first sentence says "I'm not sure why ... (etc)" - I would read that as someone's opinion. But appreciate things can be interpreted differently on an opinion sharing board!!

(?)

gaffer

Juniors
looks like its coming down to an assistant for the coaching job at parra [ryles or hannay ] so how will an assistant coach pick his assistants ,or will the ones we have just come with the team

emjaycee

Coach
(Lets leave off that my previous post was a [poor] attempt at humor by saying it was factual with a question mark!)

In the first post being referred to, the first sentence says "I'm not sure why ... (etc)" - I would read that as someone's opinion. But appreciate things can be interpreted differently on an opinion sharing board!!

(?)
Never can be sure what will be fact checked and called out as fact or opinion on here mate?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
But it is impossible to know if it benefited the club in the first place.
In sports where contracts are more transparent, the part before the option can be triggered doesn't always favour the other party (club/ player or player/ club).
This is the case with absolutely every contract. Even ones where only money is provided, the value depends entirely on the dollar amount. Since we don’t know this we can never say a signing/retention was beneficial or not.

So complaining about the only component we can verify (the PO) assumes the fact that a player with a PO can still be overpaid, but not the alternative, that a player can be overpaid regardless of player/mutual/club options. If we’re going to (unreasonably) assume a player with a PO is overpaid we should assume the rest of them are as well. This is at least a valid assumption when the roster is weak, and invalid when it isn’t.

However, the only reasonable assumption in every case is that a player option reduces the contract value required by the player while a club option increases it. It doesn’t stop a player being over or underpaid in either case, but even Delboy isn’t privy to such information.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

(?)
Everything posted here is a fact unless stated otherwise or it includes a question mark.

eel01s

Bench
looks like its coming down to an assistant for the coaching job at parra [ryles or hannay ] so how will an assistant coach pick his assistants ,or will the ones we have just come with the team
I read that Ryles already has a team he will bring with him. Nit sure if true.

Usually a new coach will appoint their own assistants.

Legal Eel

Juniors
This is the case with absolutely every contract. Even ones where only money is provided, the value depends entirely on the dollar amount. Since we don’t know this we can never say a signing/retention was beneficial or not.

So complaining about the only component we can verify (the PO) assumes the fact that a player with a PO can still be overpaid, but not the alternative, that a player can be overpaid regardless of player/mutual/club options. If we’re going to (unreasonably) assume a player with a PO is overpaid we should assume the rest of them are as well. This is at least a valid assumption when the roster is weak, and invalid when it isn’t.

However, the only reasonable assumption in every case is that a player option reduces the contract value required by the player while a club option increases it. It doesn’t stop a player being over or underpaid in either case, but even Delboy isn’t privy to such information.
Seriously, reading your posts make me feel like I'm reading intractable High Court decisions on Federal constitutional law.

You are very good at arguing for the sake of it, I will grant you that.

84 Baby

Referee
I don’t understand why you are now getting away from your point. You were right the first time. And by ‘right’ I mean I agree with you.
So you agree with me that player options have an upfront benefit to us offset by a backended benefit to the player? That wasn’t what I said first though. My first point was having given the options out we should have contingency in place for when they come due for whether the player does or does not take up the option.

emjaycee

Coach
So you agree with me that player options have an upfront benefit to us offset by a backended benefit to the player? That wasn’t what I said first though. My first point was having given the options out we should have contingency in place for when they come due for whether the player does or does not take up the option.
Wouldn't the contingency be to offer them a revised contract prior to the option lapsing, and then go to market if they don't sign?

No different than going to market 1st November if they signed elsewhere.

I am just spitballing and could be way off track?

Last edited:

Latest posts