What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
True and with more teams in the pipe line, there are going to be some decent players being paid like stars.

It's so important from a cap efficiency point of view that we get a juniour development in order.

It's semantics as I'm sure this is what you mean but I think that should read junior retention. Our junior development in these last few years has been better than previous ones, we've got our 4th player from last year's SG Ball winning team debuting this week and there's still a few others I reckon we'll have debuting in the next few. Our problem is retaining them.

We have a host of players that were in our junior rep teams now at other clubs, not just because other Sydney clubs are after them, 3 of them will be in Canberra jerseys next year; 2 of said players were captains in our junior rep teams. We knew their talent, we knew their leadership capabilities but for whatever reason we did not have them signed up long term like other Sydney clubs are able to do with their juniors.

hindy111

Post Whore
[/QUOTE]
Average salary is $400k ffs

An average player isn't getting 400k.
Min wage is 130k

You then have elite who are on 1mill plus
And then the very good players who demand 600+
These guys bring the average up. An average player like Simmonson for example would get around 250k. 300k MAX

Average players would get between $250-300k

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It's semantics as I'm sure this is what you mean but I think that should read junior retention. Our junior development in these last few years has been better than previous ones, we've got our 4th player from last year's SG Ball winning team debuting this week and there's still a few others I reckon we'll have debuting in the next few. Our problem is retaining them.

We have a host of players that were in our junior rep teams now at other clubs, not just because other Sydney clubs are after them, 3 of them will be in Canberra jerseys next year; 2 of said players were captains in our junior rep teams. We knew their talent, we knew their leadership capabilities but for whatever reason we did not have them signed up long term like other Sydney clubs are able to do with their juniors.
Signing them long term requires a pathway (i.e. cap space at their position) through to big salaries. The merkins we’ve lost have had big money merkins in front of them, much like Isaiya Katoa at Penrith.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
An average player isn't getting 400k.
Min wage is 130k

You then have elite who are on 1mill plus
And then the very good players who demand 600+
These guys bring the average up. An average player like Simmonson for example would get around 250k. 300k MAX

Average players would get between $250-300k
I agree the mean salary is different to the median, but what do you mean by an ‘average player’? Over two thirds of your squad won’t be expected to play 80 minutes in first grade every week, so the ones who do are all above average players by definition. Penaut

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Signing them long term requires a pathway (i.e. cap space at their position) through to big salaries. The merkins we’ve lost have had big money merkins in front of them, much like Isaiya Katoa at Penrith.

Which big salary player did we have in front of Michael Gabrael (centre) when we lost him after the 2022 season given he was only 17 in that year? Only one I can think of is Waqa Blake who was on the outer around that time. Did Canberra not have big money forwards: Josh Papalii, Joseph Tapine, Elliott Whitehead in front of Trey Mooney when they signed him? When we lost him we would have had Paulo, Gillard and Matterson.

This can be true for Ethan Sanders but players in non-spine positions should be much easier to keep. How have the sharks got Stonestreet signed up until the end of next year despite having 2 long term wingers already contracted with one being a NZ national winger? This is one off the top of my head, I could find more if I went through the contract lists.

Our management is slow at recruitment and retention, this is because it is a democratic process and this is the result. We have 5 people in the R&R committee, for mine this is not sustainable. There should be 1 voice at the table, my opinion the head coach, and the rest in the committee should be using their skills to get the job done for them so they get their targets. From what I've seen since the restructure this has largely failed us.