What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

yy_cheng

Coach
When the current situation is looked at ! There is definite downward move from the time Bernie Gurr ran the club and the new board , CEO and HOF etc were put in place.

The new coach will have to change the playing style and that will mean a restructure of playing and coaching staff, and hopefully recruitment. Don’t think we should have a lot of confidence that we can achieve what’s needed with the set up we have. The juniors are now pushing through and we need someone at the top to get their retention correct and set the club up. Can only hope there is movement at the station sufficient to commence a move up the ladder .

A final point is that a academic qualifications do not always lead to better results in the real world, probably a lot of us have made that mistake, hire someone with degrees, courses etc and then realised they didn’t have the personal and relationship touch to perform .
Really, we just need to focus on Defense. Teach them all how to defend strategically and as a unit. Teach them how to communicate in defense and bring it all down through all grades.

There was an interesting thing that Gus said that in the big games (especially Lang Park SOO) you can't hear your team mates.

So maybe teach them certain visual cues or teach them watch your inside defender.

And seriously, if any of the players don't follow or try, drop them... even if it is Moses or Guth.

EelEtric

Juniors
Really, we just need to focus on Defense. Teach them all how to defend strategically and as a unit. Teach them how to communicate in defense and bring it all down through all grades.

There was an interesting thing that Gus said that in the big games (especially Lang Park SOO) you can't hear your team mates.

So maybe teach them certain visual cues or teach them watch your inside defender.

And seriously, if any of the players don't follow or try, drop them... even if it is Moses or Guth.
Agree.
Our biggest issue isn't lack of skill, especially in attack. It is friggen attitude and since 1901, defence has been about attitude and ours sux. In 2022 Townsville game we won that on the back of a defensive attitude that refused to let the Cowboys cross our line in the last 20 mins.

Fix the attitude of our players, which means be prepared to drop them, and we go along way to climbing back up the ladder.

Fix the attitude of our players, which means be prepared to drop them, and we go along way to climbing back up the ladder.
Fixing the Attitude is the right way forward.

I just think the idea of "Dropping" someone to get a response is so 1980's thinking

Our biggest problem in defense and attitude has been the attitude from the top down, you can't blame the players for how the stoic coach was.

EelEtric

Juniors

I just think the idea of "Dropping" someone to get a response is so 1980's thinking

Our biggest problem in defense and attitude has been the attitude from the top down, you can't blame the players for how the stoic coach was.
Probably is '80's thinking Mark, because I am old, but the approach of the previous coach of leaving players in FG simply because they were paid the most didn't work to improve the attitude.

We sometimes see Junior play exactly the way he needs to - why only sometimes and how do we get him to do that more often?

Probably is '80's thinking Mark, because I am old, but the approach of the previous coach of leaving players in FG simply because they were paid the most didn't work to improve the attitude.

We sometimes see Junior play exactly the way he needs to - why only sometimes and how do we get him to do that more often?
That is a great question, and is for the coaching staff to answer, but I would think it starts with a good defensive coach teaching the team a system that works for them and they can trust. Where they can make a defensive decision and know if it doesn’t work that they have a backup.

once we get that and the side is defending better you might see big hits form our forwards.

EelEtric

Juniors
That is a great question, and is for the coaching staff to answer, but I would think it starts with a good defensive coach teaching the team a system that works for them and they can trust. Where they can make a defensive decision and know if it doesn’t work that they have a backup.

once we get that and the side is defending better you might see big hits form our forwards.
Sure but even in attack Junior doesn't always want to chase the collision and prefers to play like an oversized halfback. That too is attitude in my view.

DaveMc

Juniors

Matty Bhoy

Juniors

EelsFan05

Bench
Everyone loves Parra footy until it isn't working. Which is more often than not. Say what you like about Hayne in 2009, but the parra ball only started working when Fui decided to start destroying opposition's. And his forward partners followed him. Until our forwards grow some balls and win the tough areas of the game, we'll play side to side, unreliable footy.

I've got no doubt we've played possession footy for a decade because our forwards are consistently dominated in the ruck. Last time we consistently won the ruck, Dean Pay and co. were playing.

On another note, we've always been to slow to adapt or predict the way the game is evolving. We had big forwards, when the game needed mobile forwards. Or small forwards when big gang tackling forwards were needed.

Rant over.

Gazzamatta

Coach

Sadly this has been the case for ages. The remedy always appeared to be " work harder". We need someone to teach them to "work smarter". Id suggest the coach's style has been mandated and copied throughout the club. Definitely some undoing to be done before the doing starts.

yy_cheng

Coach

BA did that quite often. Dropped to NSW Cup and never seen again.

gaffer

Juniors

and how to count

I would love to see Brian Smith back but he will need an assistant to handle the comms side of things.

Or even have him as the assistant for devising the game plan and strategy

Imagine Cheika = Coach, Smith = Assistant : Game Plans and Strategy

btw, what does masthead mean?
Masthead means "This paper"

But it is easier for syndication to say, "This Masthead" than "The herald" or "The Age" or whatever.

gaffer

Juniors

The article buries the lede that he won’t get the gig, but if it’s a proxy bid for a head of football role, I think you could do worse.
yep head of football, He would be there to take over when the rooky assistant coach failed to get the desired results

Latest posts